Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reconstructive Surgery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reconstructive Surgery
    Posted: Mar 07 2018 at 7:21pm
I have just scheduled my reconstructive surgery for the "other" unaffected breast today.  Surgery date is May 9, 2018 and I do not know why I am having the anxiety reaction I am having.  I have finished all my treatment, completed my scans and had my first "6 month post" check up with both medical and radiation oncologist.  My next step was meeting with a plastic surgeon to complete my "symmetry" problem.  I am a size B on the affected breast side (post lumpectomy) and a D on the right.  I opted to leave the left side alone since it had surgery and radiation treatments and just "reduce" the right side to sort of mirror the left.  

With the call just now confirming the insurance feels this is medically necessary and therefore will pay my claim, it has opened up such emotions I was not prepared for.  I am wondering why I am feeling this way.  You would think I would be overjoyed that my final procedure is scheduled and in my line of sight.  

Ladies (and gentleman) why am I feeling this way?  

Penny 
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Falcon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2018 at 8:25pm
Penny,

The whole journey can be very taxing, I went with this in 2009 with my 32 year old daughter Jessica and as we approached the end of treatment and ready for reconstructive surgery I found my self as her mom very emotional the tears just seemed to appear from no where. Take a deep breath and just know this will soon be the past as you live out your long beautiful life.

Prayers,
Jessica's mom 
Susan
My daughter Jessica
Treated and Healed!!!!!
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 9:32am
I have enormous surgical fears now :( the thought of them coming at me again with a knife for ANYTHING gives me huge anxiety. I had my normal check up with my surgical oncologist recently and she started urging me to start the reconstruction process again so she can "fix" issues I have on my chest and I just.........tears starting falling down my face.  I never cry  at the doctor (only once - when I got my Good News about my post surgical pathology I burst into sobs.  Happy cry is awesome I now know).  She said, "whoa whoa whoa!  TOO SOON, I get it no problem, let's change the subject!"  Just the thought of showing up, putting on the surgical gown, getting the IV, lying there waiting my turn....... Gives me awful anxiety just typing it.  So I'd say - totally normal!  You've been thru so much, you are still in healing mode from all your treatment so having a fragile psyche regarding any medical care is totally normal.  Ask your doctor for some anxiety meds to take when you need 'em, especially the night before and the day of surgery. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
darcyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2018 at 3:52pm
For me I had more anxiety AFTER all my surgeries. For me it almost seemed that while all these visits for treatments and surgeries and follow ups were going on I felt like I was still actively treating my cancer. Now there are no more treatments, no more scheduled surgeries and no more every 6 month visits. Like all that was a security blanket. All are normal reactions after what we have been through. Use this website for your life-line.

Darcy
IDC with extensive squamous differentiation,1.5cm,stage 1,Grade 3,Ki-67 25%,TNBC
TX-TC q21 days x4, Neulasta x3,mastectomy 3/1/16. dx's 10/15 age56
xo_ro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xo_ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 7:55am
Hi Penny,
After going through all the treatment, this will be your official final phase. I had my reconstruction surgery on the affected breast on Feb 1, 2018 (which had a tissue expander from Sept 28, 2017 to Jan 26, 2018). I even had skin blisters that started as a rash on the left breast with tissue expander that my plastic surgeon ordered an early removal before my actual exchange surgery. I had DIEP flap reconstruction surgery and still in recovery and I promise you that it gets better with each day. It’s been almost more than a year since my TNBC diagnosis and sometimes it feels like it was just a bump in the road. Good luck and I’ll be praying for your quick recovery.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic