FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LoMo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiation
    Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 9:17am

Afternoon everyone....It has been a long time since I logged into the site....Briefly..I was DX in Dec 2007..Stage III...TNBC on the right side....took the chem route for 7mths...tumor went away..refused to have breast removed...after finally making decision to have bi-lateral mas... found out I was pregnant, had surgery at 25 weeks pregnant...had beautiful healthy baby girl Aug 7....NOW..im doing radiation for 6 weeks and my question is about my skin...Being African American I dont have any redness, but the spot is turning dark and very irritated. under my breast its very tender...They prescribed RADI plex cream but its not really helping..ANY SUGGESTIONS

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 9:31am
Dear LoMo,
I don't have any advice for you since DW and I have not been exposed to radiation yet (pun intended!). But welcome to TNBC Foundation and congrats on your healthy baby girl. I'm sure here you will find caring and compassionate advice from ladies who have faced similar issues.

Love, Unkle

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
musette green View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musette green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:06am
LoMo,
First Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl. What a gift!
Hope baby is doing well!
Second, I am also Africian American. I did not have any redness either. just went straight from brown to charred. My skin was turned very , very dark. I would say nearly black by the radiation.  Many of the same symptoms started after the second week.  I have no experience with Radi-plex cream, but you might want to try Domborro (Burro's solution -contents aluminum acetate) solution soaks the the areas of the skin that are irritated. You can buy the packets over the counter at any drug store. I used the soaks 3-5 times daily for relief. Followed after each soak with a new application of Xclair cream ( probably like the Radi-plex cream you have now). Be sure to watch for areas of the skin that form blisters or just plain open up.  I used one packet with 16 ounces of room temperature water in a plastic container. You can use a clean washcloth, but I used sterile gauze soaked in the solution and applied wet to all of the areas being radiated. Leave the gauze or washcloth in place for about 20 minutes. You may have to apply more solution to keep the dressing wet during the 20 minutes. I used a waterproof mattress pad to help keep things underneath my back dry. I got a good deal of relief from the irritation doing this. At least I felt it did, might have just given me somewhere else to focus.
Hope this helps.
Lisa

P.S. I also had to stop wearing a bra durings rads. Just now begining to tolerate wearing a bra for a couple of hours a day. Still can't wear my prosthesis at all. My radiation finished about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by musette green - Oct 03 2009 at 1:49pm
DX 10/08. IIB,gr 3, 2.5cm. TNBC, BRAC1&2-, nodes+(left axillary, supraclavicular, ant. mediastinal & IM). Neoadjuv. chemo 4x C/T. Left mast.3/09,completed 40 rads 9/09. Reconstruction pending.
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:24am
Dear Lisa,

I am going to add this tip to our radiation tips. Thank you. I try to watch the posts for new tips, but I am sure I miss many, and every tip is a blessing to someoneWink
Hugs,
Nancy

Already added!!Big%20smile

Edited by Nancy - Oct 02 2009 at 10:29am
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:10am
Hi Lisa, just finished rads 9/11 and what worked for me was either Sovereign Silver first aid gel or Bacitracin Gel followed by Bag Balm. As blisters appeared I would use either gel then smear some of the bag balm at the outer edges.

I really liked the combination because it gave me some antibiotic protection followed with a topical and then something to keep the area soft and not so tender.

I know there are some who will frown on petroleum jelly products with their association with cancer, but I told myself it was just for a short period and hopefully wouldn't contribute to future cancer issues. I guess I'll find out.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Luv2sing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv2sing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by LoMo LoMo wrote:

Afternoon everyone....It has been a long time since I logged into the site....Briefly..I was DX in Dec 2007..Stage III...TNBC on the right side....took the chem route for 7mths...tumor went away..refused to have breast removed...after finally making decision to have bi-lateral mas... found out I was pregnant, had surgery at 25 weeks pregnant...had beautiful healthy baby girl Aug 7....NOW..im doing radiation for 6 weeks and my question is about my skin...Being African American I dont have any redness, but the spot is turning dark and very irritated. under my breast its very tender...They prescribed RADI plex cream but its not really helping..ANY SUGGESTIONS

Hello "LoMo",
Congratulations on your baby girl! Smile
I'm what some consider to be fair-skinned and I did turn red ... as of matter of fact ... the rad doc was able to put his finger on the place which would break down first because he saw the redness.  He prescribed a combo of Lidocaine mixed with Aquaphor to ease the pain and help with cracking and peeling.  One side of my chest is darker than the other and underneath the breast and arm is black.  There is blistering under the breast and skin is peeling under the arm.  Because they were doing multiple fields (supraclav) there is a large burn on my neck and chest.  The prescription is definitely helping and I haven't worn bras since the skin became sensitive, only soft cotton items.

Raymon
Rejoice Everday!
Dx 1/23/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-
, BRCA-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic