Go To Main TNBC Website


  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Radiation or No Radiation?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiation or No Radiation?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 12485
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2017 at 9:53pm
Tulip09,

I'm so sorry you are fighting this again.  Was it in the same breast as in 07?  If you click on the NCCN guidelines, you will see for 1 to 3 affected lymph nodes, the recommendation is to strongly consider treating the chest wall + these sites:

Axillary sites at risk for cancer,
Supraclavicular and infraclavicular areas, and
Internal Mammary lymph nodes.




DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
tulip09 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2017
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2017 at 10:10pm
Thanks for the reply,  This time it is the opposite breast almost 10 years later. I am also genetically negative.  I had a mastectomy on the right side the first time after ACT chemo.
I hope I never have to go through this again after 18 chemo's this time but I also want quality of life.  
Back to Top
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 12485
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2017 at 11:11pm
Tulips,

I totally understand.  What was the size of the tumor?  What stage?  You can get opinions and research and then just make the best decision for you.  I will tell you I feared radiation the most when I had my recurrence.  I had already completed the reconstruction surgery from the bi-mastectomy with silicone implants.  I ended up getting 40 radiation tx as they hit the breast area, axilla, all regional nodes with emphasis on the internal mammary nodes where I recurred.  I don't notice any lymphedema in my arm, but on occasion get some truncal swelling or soreness, usually on the side under my armpit.  
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 12485
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2017 at 11:15pm
Tulip,

Were you tested for other genes besides the BRCA gene?  They are now finding additional genes that contribute to a higher risk of breast cancer.  Here's a link to a genetic panel test, the genes and associated cancers.  



DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
tulip09 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2017
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 12:37am
123Donna,

It is so helpful to hear from someone who understands and know that I am not alone with my fears. My tumor was just under 3 cm on PET scan.  I was a stage 2 grade 3.   The same as I was the first time except last time I did not have any positive nodes and my tumor was smaller, 2.3 cm.  I have had stage 1 lymphedema  to the R arm but it was caught  early and was able to reverse it before the proteins were laid down.  They retested my genetics with the pre-markers for BRCA and other genes which were all was negative.  I think I am going through the bargaining stage of grief with this decision as I was afraid of rads the first time as well, but didn't have to have it with the first mastectomy.  This time I know I need some radiation and trying to balance the pro's and con's
Back to Top
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 12485
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 12:13pm
Tulip,

For me, I knew I had to get radiation because they could not surgically remove the internal mammary nodes.  They feared it had spread further since they believed those cells had been there since the original diagnosis.  Even though chemo got me to NED, as with the initial diagnosis and MRI, they just can't pick up small individual cells on scans so they hoped radiation would mop up any remaining cancer cells.  I worry about the long term damage from the radiation.  With this terrible disease, we just have to make the best choices at the time.  
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
tulip09 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2017
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 1:13pm
123 Donna,
We are really caught in horrible positions with no great choice. Either way they are potential issues.  I had  a complete response and they didn't find anything beyond the one node, but as you say there could be microscopic disease.  They say my risk is 5-10% with no rads but willing to do chest wall and possibly will say yes to below collar bone then at least if lymphedema happens they can move the fluid to the nodes in the neck.  I have a couple of weeks to sit with making a decision as I still have fills to the expander and deal with cording before they can do the markings for rads.
Thank you.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd.