Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiation or No Radiation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hanley50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanley50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiation or No Radiation?
    Posted: Jul 28 2016 at 10:13pm

I had neoadjuvant DD AC-T from 02/10/16-05/20/16. Had UMX with tissue expander on 06/16/16.

I did not have PCR - actually everything on pathology was about the same as what the imaging and biopsies showed in January (except that in addition to IDC they also found extensive DCIS that I didn't know about.)

I am being told that due to TN without PCR that I need radiation - which I did not expect and was not planning on.

What do you think? Other than TN without PCR I would not need radiation based on the normal criteria (Tumor <5cm (only 1.5cm), <4 possitive nodes (only 1 positive node), and I had clean margins.)

If I would of had surgery prior to chemo I don't think I would be in this situation because how would they know if I acheived PCR?

I have my simulation for RADS scheduled for 08/16/16 and keep second guessing this next step (I also am still getting fills and I do not have ROM under control - but am going to PT for this and was told I already showing Stage 1 Lymphedema.)

Maryann DX@43
DX 01/07/16, DCIS/IDC, RT, 1.7cm, G3, 1/17 Nodes, TN, KI67=70
Chemo 02/09/16 DD AC-T
Surgery 06/15/16 UMX w/TE & ALND
Radiation 08/22/16 WB/Lymph Nodes
BRCA 1&2 Negative
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2016 at 11:32pm
This is a tough question when you fall into the "grey" area for treatment guidelines.  Please read through these links and possibly consider a 2nd opinion.  Please let us know what you decide.

Read this link especially,

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

hanley50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanley50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2016 at 10:54am
123Donna,

I'm reading all the posts now.  Thank you for compiling and sharing all of this great information!

Maryann
Maryann DX@43
DX 01/07/16, DCIS/IDC, RT, 1.7cm, G3, 1/17 Nodes, TN, KI67=70
Chemo 02/09/16 DD AC-T
Surgery 06/15/16 UMX w/TE & ALND
Radiation 08/22/16 WB/Lymph Nodes
BRCA 1&2 Negative
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2016 at 8:19pm
With TN and any lymph nodes involved, it seems from what we have gone thru and read, they want to do radiation. Are they irradiating the clavicle nodes and armpit? There was an exposure they told my wife when exposing the clavicle area, it exposes the top part of the lung, on the outside, ask about it. Also, some women ask for thyroid shields, although my wife's radial-onco said they don't work, because the exposure is off the bone underneath, and he said it's very minimal, and my wife had no issues. She did have slight shortness of breath on the lung thing for about 3 weeks after finished. It showed in PET/CT after she was done w/ therapies.
They told my wife with TN, they want to radiate the suture line, as a local recurrance often occurs there. I think they are also worried about micro-mets in nodes that don't show on scans, but you might want to get a 2nd opinion, my wife did, but her's was much more aggressive totally worse prognosis. Seems like Donna summed it up, maybe borderline situation, the docs from what I've seen lean towards radiation if in doubt.
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
adagilbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2017 at 6:42am
Many cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy are left with radiation burn, or with what’s known as radiation dermatitis. It results in irritated, red and painful skin at the entry point of treatment where the surface radiation is the strongest. Our gentle, specialized moisturizers soothe the affected areas, and through use of natural healing agents help the skin return to a healthy condition.
Rayna15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayna15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2017 at 1:00pm
Hello. I feel for you. I debated with the decision for radiation too. I'm 33 and I have/had Grade 3 Stage IIIc TNIDC with a few positive lymph nodes. After chemo and mastectomy with tissue expander placement, however, I did have a pathologic complete response. Since I had lymph node involvement, they "highly recommended" radiation. I decided to go with it after much contemplation. I have done a lot of research on natural things that can help (diet, vitamins, exercise, meditation, qi gong, etc.) and do both in conjunction with each other. I am done with round 25 of 28 and my skin is just starting to peel slightly. Did radiation help? I don't know. Maybe I would've been fine without it. I guess my final decision was that I can say I did everything recommended and more. I think everyone just needs to weigh the pros and cons and do what feels right. Good luck.
Patrickm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrickm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 2:01pm
Hi Hanley - how are you doing since last year? How is your Lymphedema? My wife has TNBC with 1 node positive from surgery (brca negative) and a 4 cm tumor at age 38. Sounds like a similar boat to you.

Pat
adagilbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2017 at 2:44am
Radiation  therapy  uses high-energy particles or waves, such as x-rays, gamma rays, electron beams, or protons, to destroy or damage cancer cells,which helps the Radiation For Skin to better kill cancer cells.Go with Radiation Therapy is better option because it helps to kills cancer cells.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic