Forum Description: A place to chat
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=9639
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 12:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Permanent Eye Makeup
Posted By: BamaRachel
Subject: Permanent Eye Makeup
Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 7:18pm
I lost nearly all my eyelashes and eyebrows (which were sparse to start with) during chemo.  I finished my last chemo treatment on January 3.  While the hair on my head, legs and "mustache" area Ouch are all growing back, I can't say the same for my eyelashes and especially my eyebrows.  I've made do up to this point with using eyeliner and eyebrow powder and drawing on some semblance of eyebrows, but the thought of doing this forever is daunting.  I've been considering permanent eye makeup options, which is a fancy way of saying tatoos -- not done at a tatoo parlor, of course, but by a licensed, experienced aesthetician or plastic surgeon's office.  Have any of you gone this route and, if so, were you satisfied, dissatisfied?  I've only so far looked at online websites and have not gone for any consultations.  Just wondering what you ladies thought.  All opinions, pro or con, are welcome. 

-------------
DX 7/5/11, TN Invas; Lump w/clear marg., 7/21/11; Stage 2A. Grade 3, 2.6 c; 0/6 nodes; TX 8/22/11 4DD E/C; 4Taxotere; Chemo ended 1/3/12; 33 Radiation Treatments, ended 3/15/12.

Replies:
Posted By: LRM216
Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 7:49pm

I wanted to get a very small pink ribbon on the inside of my wrist after I completed all treatment.  After those three tiny tattoo dots I got for the radiation set up - I said - no way to the pink ribbon idea!  Those three little dots hurt like heck.  Admittedly, I am no Joan of Arc - I don't have a high tolerance for pain and the fear I feel before any type of procedure is abominable.  However - that all being said, I will tell you that if you are considering permanent eyeliner, my friend had it done (no reason other than she hates putting in on everyday) and she said that after they did her right eye, she wanted to leave screaming and just forget about the other.  Unfortunately for her, she could not and had to then go through the pain with the left eye. 

I will never know for sure, as I certainly would never be a candidate for any tattooing, but I wish you the best if you go that route. 

-------------
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 7:55pm
I don't have any experience in what you're looking at doing.  Have you thought of Latisse?  It's supposed to help grow your eyelashes.  I have a friend that's a 5 year ER+ bc survivor that decided to try it to help grow her lashes.  She was pleased with the results.

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 8:31pm
Donna, my medical oncologist told me at my last chemo treatment, when I mentioned my eyelashes (or lack thereof) that if they did not grow back in that she would write me a prescription for Latisse.  I may try that route first.  But that doesn't solve the brow issue.  Maybe I am just too impatient.  I'm just a little freaked out, I think, because hair everywhere else is returning except lashes and brows.   If my brows and lashes come back white, like the hair on my head is, I'm really going to freak out!!   LOL

-------------
DX 7/5/11, TN Invas; Lump w/clear marg., 7/21/11; Stage 2A. Grade 3, 2.6 c; 0/6 nodes; TX 8/22/11 4DD E/C; 4Taxotere; Chemo ended 1/3/12; 33 Radiation Treatments, ended 3/15/12.

Posted By: debB
Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 8:38pm
Hi BamaRachel,

I don't have experience with the procedures you are talking about, but I would say give it a little more time. I finished chemo at the end of September and Christmas was the first time I tried to wear mascara! Both my eyelashes and eyebrows are shorter and stubbier than they were before, which is not a good thing in my case!

Two things that I had read and tried...I started taking Biotin supplements and also tried warm compresses on my eyes. I was having these continual bumps and somewhere back in an old thread I read where someone told a gal that the eyelashes are thinner/weaker than hair and have a harder time pushing thru the skin and the follicles easily get clogged. I don't know if either worked or if it was just coincidental timing, but very shortly after I did those two things they were growing back in! I did the warm compresses for about a week and am stil taking the Biotin to help this hair of mine!

Good luck!
Deb

-------------
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial

Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 9:06pm
My eyelashes came back pretty close to normal, maybe not as full as before.  Now my eyebrows are another story.  They are not as full and a lifeless color that just blends in with my skin.  I use a brow pencil/crayon and draw them on.  I wish there was an easy solution to getting them darker and fuller looking.  I wonder if they make hair dye for eyebrows?

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 9:08pm
Thanks for the tips, Deb.  I will definitely try them.  I'm probably being too impatient.  I definitely don't want to do anything drastic and then regret the outcome if it's not what I envisioned.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 9:12pm
LOL, Donna.  When I was coloring my hair for years and years, I was always told never to put the dye on my eyebrows.  I also heard that you should dye this "newbie" hair for a year after it grows back (lest it fall out again).  Don't know if I can put up with this white hair for a year, though.  Hopefully that's another wive's tale, and I'll be able to at least put some semi-permanent color on it when I decide to forego the head covers/wigs!!  But that's a ways off yet.

-------------

Posted By: Grateful for today
Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 9:22pm
Hi BamaRachel,

Guess that is one of the few things I did not write down.......when the eyebrows and eyelashes came
back after chemo.
Do remember that eyebrows came back almost all at once. One day I had none.....and then one day
they were pretty much back all at once.
Not sure how the eyelashes came back but think it was similar to the eyebrows.
My hair did come back the same color as I had before chemo.

As Deb said......giving things a little more time might find the eyebrows and eyelashes do come back.
Her idea about the warm compresses makes sense.

Found this on LIVESTRONG:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/121950-hair-grow-back-after-chemo/ - http://www.livestrong.com/article/121950-hair-grow-back-after-chemo/
Regrowth
The Core Curriculum for Oncology Nursing reports that hair may start to regrow six to eight weeks after treatment. Regrowth rates differ in the individual and can take up to six months.

From chemocare.com:
In almost all cases of chemotherapy-induced hair loss, your hair will resume growth after treatments.
It may take from three to six months after therapy is completed or it may start growing back while you are still receiving chemotherapy. Be prepared for your "new" hair to possibly have a slightly different color, texture, or curl.

With wishes for quick eyebrows/eyelashes growing back,

Grateful for today..........Judy

Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 10:03pm
I waited about 4 months after finishing treatment to color my hair.  There was so much white, not grey, mostly on top.  It didn't take completely the first try so she had to put some more on the top where it was the whitest.  It took and never had any problems with my hair after that.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 10:06pm
Thanks for that info, Donna.  I'm shocked by how white, not gray, my hair is.  Before chemo, I was always coloring what I thought were gray roots.  LOL

-------------

Posted By: mindy555
Date Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 11:38am
Hi  BamaRachel!

Boy can I relate..

I haven't shaved my head after 3x Taxol and 6x FEC treatments.  I too thought my roots were gray. My hair is a very pale blond- almost white, like you're saying.  Without eye makeup I almost look Albino-like, except I have a bit darker complexion. Thank goodness.  I think we lose pigment in our hair, but not certain.   I still have eyebrows though they too are very pale.  I had thick lashes which are now just short stubs.  It's a royal pain just putting on eye makeup - even waterproof.. and takes forever, as my eyes inevitably start running as they often do.  Another joyful side-effect of chemo.

I talked with a friend of mine in her 60's over the weekend.  She's a dark haired Italian.  Due to aging alone she started losing her eyebrows and had hers done.  She's so outspoken, apparently very happy and didn't complain about the procedure being painful.  We'll talk at some point this evening.  I'll ask her more about it and post again.. hopefully later tonight.

Latisse prior to all of this was very effective for me.  I grew long thick dark eyelashes. I could easily go without mascara.  Oh my how things have changed.... Smile

Hugs,
Mindy

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Posted By: K in Sugar Land
Date Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 11:47am
Donna,  They do make dye for eyebrows and eyelashes.  Formulated to be gentle since it is used so close to the eyes, using fruit compounds I believe, to make it safe.  Regular hair dye should not be applied to the brows, too risky.  Urban Retreat in Houston used to dye my brows.  I think the only colors available were dark brown and black.  The dye looks great and very natural, at least it did when I was a brunette :  ) , but because it is formulated to be gentle, if fades after about 3.5 to 4 weeks. 

-------------
Dx IDC TNBC MDA2/11 age 51 T2N0M0 Grd 3 4.8cm BRCA- vitD22 Taxol 12wk FAC once 3 wk for 12 wk Complete chemo8/11 Tumor not seen on scans Lumpsurgery 0/4 nodes9/11 pCR 30rads done11/11 NED vitD3903/12

Date Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 12:17pm
Also wanted to mention, Deb's suggestion about Biotin is excellent.  Look into MSM too.  They both are notorious for healthy hair growth and glowing skin! :)

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Date Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 12:57pm
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll definitely look into the Biotin.  I may be having a chemo brain moment, but what is MSM?Confused

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 7:34pm
Sorry I didn't get around to answering till now BamaRachel.  Here's a link you might find helpful.  I was taking 2,000 mgs of MSM and felt great. I had lot's of energy.. it helped a bunch with fibro... PLUS, had really nice hair, complexion & nails.  You'll see other benefits, too.   In fact I cut back because my hair was growing too fast. It was costing a fortune to have it highlighted to cover http://www.msm-info.com/ - gray roots so often. Tongue  Until chemo is complete my MO doesn't want me on ANY antioxidants.

http://www.msm-info.com/ - http://www.msm-info.com/

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Date Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 8:07pm
Oh, I talked with my friend MJ.  She has an apt. in LA and a home in Vegas due to her husband's work and hers.  She had her brows done in LA and said it really wasn't painful... was well worth the time and effort.  Again, her brows went away due to plain ol' aging.  I think everyone is different though.  I'd wait and continue to use temporary methods to see if they'll come back on their own.   IF you do decide to go through with the procedure, I'm sure you'll do your homework and find someone top-notch with plenty of customer references you can call, plus pictures in her/his business portfolio. 

This is just me, but I wouldn't do it no matter how sparse my brows.  The thought sends me into cold sweats.  LOL

Good luck! M

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Date Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the info, Mindy.  I don't know whether I'll do it or not.  For now I'm going to try to be patient.  I think if I could find an eyeliner that I liked and that went on good, I'd be more satisfied.  I've tried several from the drugstore, but nothing seems to look very good or stay on very well (it might help if I wouldn't rub my eyes, LOL).  The girl that did the Look Good, Feel Better seminar that I attended said to use liquid eyeliner, but it looks too freakish and too dark, I think. 

-------------

Posted By: kirby
Date Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 3:13am
I am a hairdresser so will tell you the info I have had first hand and talking to a multitude of customer's who have had work done or co-workers that do work.

I first used tint [ as hairdressers we never say dye !] on my hair 2 months after finishing tx. My brown hair with some grey came in VERY grey. I had a hard time getting the color right because it was coming back in , in stages and thicker. 3 months later I decided to forgo the brown tint because I was so grey and bleached it out to platinum. I remained platinum for only 3 months [ too much upkeep, my hair was now coming in more normal brown with grey] so cut it short and thought I would wear it natural. That idea lasted only 45 minutes. I went back to brown tint. That was a lot to put my hair through but the point is that was all 10 years ago. I think my hair grew in faster because I only had 1/2 the tx they give now.

I use tint on eyebrows all the time. NEVER EYELASHES. I use a special small brush and use the same thing used for hair. Dab carefully. Haircolor stains and getting too much on will leave you looking like Groucho Marx. Depending on how oily your skin is, when the oils come to the surface, the tint will come off.

There is special eyelash tint that can be applied by an esthetician. It will make your lashes darker but not thicker, it does not coat like mascara. It is permanent. Eyebrows and eyelashes fall out at uneven rates. Tinting should be done about every 4-5 weeks.

Permanent makeup, also known as tattooing should be done a darker color than what you immediately want. It fades...just like tattoo's do. For longer lasting and noticable affect go a shade darker. For eyebrows this will look a bit odd for the first week or two but you will be glad you did and not have to repeat. It can be painful. I have never had it done. I have known people that have and have known people that do the applications. It usually lasts a year or two before it is too faded to notice.

I have also taught Look Good, Feel Better classes. In the resource section of this site I did a detailed outline of how to draw on eyebrows and eyeliner. My favorite eyeliner is Chanel that comes in a cake. I prefer using it with water to make a paste and drawing a thin line. I used a charcoal color. It was easy to use and gave enough depth that people never knew I didn't have eyelashes.

Good luck.

-------------
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads

Date Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 9:54am
Kirby, thanks you SO much for that information.  I absolutely love this website -- so many willing to help others with whatever information/expertise they  have. 

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 12:05pm
Kirby!  Congrats on 10 years!!!!  Way to go girl!

Hugs,
Mindy

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Posted By: kirby
Date Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 12:36am
Hey Mindy......it's 11 years now...but who's counting ! [ some things one never gives up or forgets]

-------------
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads

Date Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 1:57am
FYI: There is information on eyebrows at the very of the page of chemo tips on the Forum:
TNBC News, Resources, Tips.
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/the-chemo-tips_topic3101.html - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/the-chemo-tips_topic3101.html
From above link:
"This is from Kirby:
She teaches classes for ACS for the "Look Good, Feel Better" program. It is free to anyone going thru treatment. It takes about 2 hours but you get instruction in make-up along with a kit valued at $400.00 and up. All is done by donation. Call your local ACS to see if it is offered

For those with no eyelashes or barely any, use eyeliner. My preference is the cake kind that you mix with a bit of water. I use Chanel. Yes, pricey but will last forever and has good color, texture and staying power. Besides you are all worth it !

1. Dip the brush in water, maybe several times, then work the cake being careful to use the brush in the direction it was made. This keeps the hairs nice so you can continue to form a nice thin line.

2. Work the brush to a nice point. Use relatively quickly so the moisture doesn't dry out.

3. Pull the outer corner of your eye to make a flatter surface of your eyelid.

4. Start with the brush about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way in and trying to get a continuous line, draw thinly right at the base where your eyelashes were. Having dark pigmentation around your eyes, will give the illusion of lashes. You can do the same with the bottom lash area but only going on the outer 2/3 to 1/2 of the lash area.

5. By not taking it along the entire lash area, it keeps your eye more open looking and not over done. I like a charcoal color. That would be suitable for pretty much all colorings. Practice drawing the line on the back of your hand until you think you have control of the brush and the pressure to create the thinness of line you would like.

1. Eyebrows…I like a pencil. The better quality pencil generally the better color smoothness and they last longer. Some of the inexpensive pencils will feel like they are tearing up your face! Your skin is more delicate during chemo. Always have a good eyebrow pencil sharpener. Use it before each use. It keeps the line better and cleans the oils off so it will draw more accurate. I have everyone practice drawing on their hand to emulate the little strokes necessary to create a natural look.

2. Use very small, what will look like little brush strokes to create your eyebrow.

Make many small strokes.

3. If necessary, use an eyebrow brush afterwards to soften the look. If the color is a bit too intense, very lightly dust powder over.

4. To get the angles of a natural brow, use the pencil setting it beside your nose, facing up. At that angle it should go from the widest part of your nose, past the inside corner of your eye.

5. Make a dot at that point, where your brow should start.

6, Next, looking directly in the mirror, place a dot, brow area, above your pupil. This is where the brow arches.

7. 3rd and last, use your pencil again against your nose but swing it to the outer corner of your eye. Place a dot at the end of the imaginary line created from the angle of pencil running thru the outside corner. That is where your brow should end. Use small strokes to connect the dots.     "

There is an archived thread on eyelashes and eyebrow advice"
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/eyelashes-and-eyebrow-advice-please_topic3556_post28770.html?KW=eyebrows#28770 - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/eyelashes-and-eyebrow-advice-please_topic3556_post28770.html?KW=eyebrows#28770

The Look Good....Feel Better Program has a website with lots of make up tips.
Make up; Step by Step:
    http://lookgoodfeelbetter.org/beauty-guide/makeup-step-by-step - http://lookgoodfeelbetter.org/beauty-guide/makeup-step-by-step

Please add any other make up tips you may have.

With caring and positive thoughts to all,
Grateful for today..............Judy

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:45pm
Hi,

"Bumping" up this good thread on chemo/post chemo eyebrows for members who have joined
since August 2012.

Grateful for today...............Judy

Addendum:
Some posts mentioned some supplements......as usual, check with your physician regarding
any supplements before taking.

Posted By: silvesta001
Date Posted: Jun 13 2017 at 3:02am

If you are looking for a permanent eye makeup then you can try some makeup tips for a different eye shape. The eye shapes may include – close set eyes, round eyes, almond eyes, wide eyes, small eyes, big eyes, hooded eyes, monolids and more. I got to know about some useful makeup tips from http://www.eyelidslift.com/blog/tips-to-apply-eyeliner-to-suit-your-eyes" rel="nofollow - http://www.eyelidslift.com/blog/tips-to-apply-eyeliner-to-suit-your-eyes for eyeliner application for different eye shapes. These are very useful tips for all women as they have different eye shapes. You can also get some idea from this. 

Posted By: stella114
Date Posted: Jun 19 2017 at 1:33am

If you are looking for eye makeup to hide wrinkles around the eyes then you can try several things like

• Use light shade face powder
  • Apply little primer before applying any other makeup items
  • Always use light eye shadow under the eyes

·         Apart from this, if you are looking for some other makeup tips that can be helpful in making your appearance well even if you have hooded eyes then you can try some other makeup tips:

• Pluck Eyebrows To Widen Eye Space
  • Highlight Your Eye Lashes
  • Arch Your Eyebrows Upwards

And some other makeup tips are also available at: https://sites.google.com/site/makeuptipsforhoodedeyes" rel="nofollow - https://sites.google.com/site/makeuptipsforhoodedeyes . I found these makeup tips to be very effective.  

Posted By: parrynd1
Date Posted: Jun 20 2017 at 1:31pm
Microblading for eyebrows is another semi-permanent option. I had it done before I started chemo as a way to help me keep some normalcy to my face where hair was concerned. It only lasts for 2-4 years without touch ups so I figured if I didn't like it it wouldn't be there forever. I loved it and felt a lot less self conscious. I finished my AC chemo and my hair has grown back really fast. Eyebrows seem thicker than before (another plus to microblading), but eyelashes are still growing out. Unfortunately I will lose them all again with the additional Taxol/Carboplatin chemo I am on now so we will see if it comes back as quick or the same this time as well. Good luck to you!

-------------
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net