Forum Description: A place to introduce yourself to our community
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=9453
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 10:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: need help with decision
Posted By: marion66
Subject: need help with decision
Date Posted: Dec 31 2011 at 11:55pm
I have a 2cm tn invasive grade 2, diagnosed 12/23.  I started with local hospital and have a lumpectomy/sent. lymph scheduled for Wed.  However, the day before, Tuesday, I have a 2nd opinion appt with one of the best cancer hospitals and the best doc breast oncology surgeon and the the best doc medical oncologist (according to US News).  Should I still get the lumpectomy this week with the local hospital, or wait for the surgery with the top cancer hospital?
Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: HappyGoLucky
Date Posted: Jan 01 2012 at 12:18am
Dear Marion

A wise man told me to get a second opinion when I had a recurrence. I didn't do that the first time. Talk it over with others.
I am happy to say I went with the treatment that the second opinion suggested.

this would be a yes from me girl.

Love,
Karen

-------------
2/2009 7cm tumor, sent nod. pos. Lumpectomy 3/19/09,a/c dose dense+avastin clinical trial, taxol avastin stopped with pneumonia. 33 Rads 01/2010 ~ reccur 2011 supraclav.and internal mammary nodes. rad

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jan 01 2012 at 1:59pm
I'm a firm believer in second opinions. I didn't get one when I was originally diagnosed, but sought 3 opinions with my recurrence. I'm very happy I did.

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Posted By: Lee21
Date Posted: Jan 01 2012 at 2:41pm
I am in the same boat, diagnosed on 12/9/11 with surgery scheduled for 1/19/12.  I am actively setting up a second opinion out of state and will reschedule surgery if needs be.
TNBC is heterogeneous since it is a disease entity defined by exclusion.  Because of this, there is a lot of unsettled issues in the field.  There is no validated targeted therapy and hence prognosis is not as good as the other subtypes.  I believe that the path you take at the beginning will have a big impact on how things pan out down the road. 
Some questions to think about:
1) neoadjuvant vs adjuvant therapy
2) lumpectomy +RT vs mastectomy vs mastectomy +RT
3) having some of the tissue frozen down so if needs be in the future, they can extract DNA for genomic profiling for more personalized therapy
4) BRCA1/2 testing

-------------
12/9/11 @59,IDC,grade3, TNBC,3cm(MRI),SLNB0,stage IIA, BRCA1 variant
1/30/12 DD AC-T, 6/7/12 Lumpectomy, ypT1b(0.8 cm), 7/9/12 Rads x 30
11/9/12, clinical trial cisplatin/rucaparib, cisplatin-only arm

Date Posted: Jan 01 2012 at 3:05pm
Lee

I couldn't agree with you more. Knowledge is power. I walked into the hospital with a 7 cm tumor and I went with all that was prescribed, surgery a/c and taxol ( and avastin clinical trial) . In hindsight I think a second opinion may have chosen neo adjuvant chemo or radiation to shrink tumor a more accurate attempt. Maybe not . Hope you choose wisely and go to physicians with specific knowledge of the subtypes.

Good luck with everything,
Karen

-------------
2/2009 7cm tumor, sent nod. pos. Lumpectomy 3/19/09,a/c dose dense+avastin clinical trial, taxol avastin stopped with pneumonia. 33 Rads 01/2010 ~ reccur 2011 supraclav.and internal mammary nodes. rad

Posted By: mainsailset
Date Posted: Jan 01 2012 at 5:25pm

I remember when I got my 2nd opinion. The first opinion was at a local clinic where I was advised I would get a lumpectomy and they could 'save my breast' so that I wouldn't have a mast. A girlfriend called up and said, hey, I made you an appointment for next week at Fred Hutch in Seattle, call your local team and put things on hold. I was pretty alarmed as all I could think of was to get things moving and surgery seemed a bright light in my darkened life. But she's a smart cookie my friend and I decided, to go along.

So I went from a 3 oncologist clinic through the doors of a giant cutting edge facility. What a 2nd opinion gave me that few of us talk about is an education. We are tossed into this world of strange new language, strangers and big machines that bombard us and suck our blood, yet somehow we have to keep a cool head. I really needed to get the 2nd opinion because on top of everything else I was hungry to understand more of what was happening to me as well as what I could expect.

You will be better prepared to make decisions after the 2nd opinion so I'd wait not just until you've had your 2nd opinion but give it a bit of time to digest as well. One thing to consider. Not every facility has access to every clinical trial available. The larger facilities will, simply because of their size, have more experience with TN and experience is important to us! Clinical trials are an important consideration for you because we are the up and comers for clinical trials and there are some great ones out there. AND, the statistics show that people who participate in a clinical trial have a higher survival rate.

Just try and hold on to the fact that it's not the speed with which you attack your tumor; instead it is the choices of attack that are specific to you that will grant you success. The first go round is the very most important to get right so that you won't have to worry about a 2nd round.

Oh, and if you get a chance, maybe you can visit the nutrionist at your 2nd opinion. You want your body to have all that it needs to be in high fighting mode right now and a nutionist can give you some good guidance.

Best of luck,
Mainy

-------------
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Date Posted: Jan 01 2012 at 5:37pm
Thank you all so much!  I am so scared. I really want to live as long as possible.  I am 45.  I will probably put the first dr on hold.  I am almost excited for my appt Tuesday at Fox Chase, as I feel I will be in better hands.  I am worried that the tumor is growing each day and that I need it out asap.  This will actually be my 3rd opinion, as I was at Penn last week, before knowing the TN result, and she was concerned it is too close to the nipple and that I might need a mastectomy anyway.  She had me get an MRI and that result should be in tomorrow or Tuesday.   So I hope to share that result with Fox Chase tomorrow.  Again, thank you all so much.  I do not feel so alone.

Date Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 5:42pm
Hi Marion
I would be very interested in knowing what your oncologists recommend if you don't mind sharing. 
Lee

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 5:44pm
I go tomorrow for the opinion and will decide whether to cancel with the local hospital after (sent lymph injection at 3:30 and lumpectomy for Wed).  I have a feeling I will cancel.  Might it be they start me on chemo first?  and then schedule mastectomy?  How can we see lymph node problems before mastectomy? 
I do want to write to you each and learn about your journeys.  I had to teach today and might not have more time until later this week.
thank you!
Marion

Posted By: mainsailset
Date Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 7:47pm
Marion, the argument for having chemo first is so that the oncologist can track by size and feel of the tumor how well it is reacting to the specific chemo he chooses for you. My assumption is that when you have surgery first to remove the tumor that you would not have that ability. The lymphs can also be felt during your appointments to check if they are shrinking and that's pretty much the standard way of verifying. I remember the first time my onc gave me an exam and raised his very bushy eyebrows to saw, 'The tumor is softer and getting smaller' followed by a wide grin. I wouldn't pass up that moment for anything, let me tell ya!

Best of luck to you tomorrow, you might want to take along a digital recorder as it's awfully hard to remember all that is said and it's really nice to be able to replay later.
M

-------------
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Posted By: Grateful for today
Date Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 10:19pm
Hi Marion,

Lots of caring and positive thoughts for your appointment tomorrow.

You probably have a list of questions.
They may already include the following four:

1. What are the pros and cons of chemo first versus surgery first?
     You may want to be consider that before you leave the office you have listed or made
          a chart with the pros and cons of each.   Sometimes I found I thought I had the
          answer to a written down question. Then realized after I left I did not have the
          complete info I had hoped for.
          So, check your paper before you leave......that you have the pros and cons for
          both options.   This may help you with your decision.

2. If a taxane ( taxol or taxotere or abraxane ) is part of the chemo plan, consider
     asking for the pros and cons of the taxane first versus last.   
     There has been much discussion on the forum about this after a retrospective study
     from MD Anderson.
    The article is on the forum at: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/attention-newbies-important-new-chemo-study_topic7771.html - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/attention-newbies-important-new-chemo-study_topic7771.html

3. The pros and cons of all your treatment options.

4. For your situation, what is the reasonable time you have to make a decision.

(plus all the good info posted above)

With caring and positive thoughts,

Grateful for today................Judy

Posted By: lisadi1963
Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 8:40pm
Hi Marion.
I was diagnoised 12/15/11 with IDC.  I have seen my local surgeon and oncologist here.  I am still waiting on my BRCA test to come back.  It's been two weeks since I had that test done and the surgeons office just did the paperwork for my insurance company to prior authorize it.  It was approved, thank goodness, but now they say it will be another 7 to 14 days.  I feel like the cancer is growing everyday that we don't do something about it.  It's so stressful.  I find it hard to go to work everyday and get anything done.  While I have been waiting I decided that I would get a second opinon too.  I will be going to KU Cancer Center.  I'm hoping to get the answers to many questions I still have. My original surgeon says I should have a lumpectomy, but then the results of my MRI show a spot on my other breast.  They just say it looks "suspicious"!  What does that mean?  Maybe I should just have a bi-lateral mastectomy?  I just don't know.  I just want answers. 

Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 9:09pm
Hello all.  I signed up for a clinical trial in phase 2called PrE0105.  It will be chemo for 18 weeks, then surgery of my choice, then radiation if it is gone.  The hope is that the tumor will shrink and disappear.  The chemicals are: gemcitabine, carboplatin and Iniparib.  I get the port Tues., another biopsy Friday, and the chemo will start the following Monday, if approved by insurance.  I do also have that sense that it is getting larger, but from Dec 15 to Dec 29, it only grew .1 cm.  I still want to ask about the trial in Judy's message.  I could no longer concentrate at work( high school math teacher), and my last day was today.  this is scary and I am trying to think positively.
Lee and Lisa, let me know what is happening with you!

Posted By: Natalie
Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 10:23pm
Hi all,
Just a few thoughts  to touch on things i read on this page. False positives happen more often then not in the Radiology rhelm, so don't get too hung up until things are clearer and for sure. I know it is tough to do, but the alternative stinks.
My first reaction when diagnosed was take the girls,I don't need them and hubby don't need them. I went to 4 surgeons all telling me that" Mastectomy does not decrease your chances for recurrance any more then Lumpectomy". Hmmm sorry ladies I just could not get my brain around that one. I was loaded with calcifications since 35 yrs old( higher risk for cancer), scar tissue from past biopsies( which can hide cancer), ya know what? I was biopsied the hell out of almost to the day a year prior to ME finding the lump, OH and it was the same breast that had like 4 different biopsies in.
I might not have hit this thing as hard as some of you strong women here, but i hit it as hard as I could to my comfort level. Lumpectomy, A/C DD x4 every other week..T x4 DD every other week. Just had Double Mastectomy on the 27th of December with reconstruction. OMG this surgery was a hell of a lot easier then how I spend my time with Chemo and it side effects. Fatigue getting better, nails growing in pretty well now, bone and muscle pain hmmmm still there but good days and bad, chemo brain well working onthat doing brain games helps, peachfuzz on my head very soft and a welcome site.
Sorry if I ranted but just a few random thoughts.
Love N Strength to all, Looking very forward tyo a better 2012
We really are all survivors from the time we get that diagnosis, no matter how each of our stories end we are survivors of life, love, adventure, adversity and Yep even mountain climbing (what a mountain =]  )

Peace,
Natalie

-------------
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg

Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 10:36pm
Marion and Natalie

and all, You guys are so strong . We all approach this disease from different perspectives and it is scary. I applaud you Natalie don't know if I would have gone that road, had the lumpectomy and now a recurrence.
Marion we are all here holding each other up and I feel scared  sometimes but I do not want it to get out of control. Praying for all.
Karen.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 10:50pm
Marion66,

I had Gemcitabine, Carboplatin and Iniparib in the BSI-201 Open Access Trial.  I found it very tolerable, with the biggest complaint fatigue and some low counts.  I didn't lose my hair, just thinned a little.  I thought this chemo regime was much easier than Cytoxan and Taxotere.  Wishing you the best.

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Posted By: lisadi1963
Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 10:58pm
Natalie,
I hope this question isn't to forward, but why did you have to have a double mastecomy after just having your lumpectomy?  If that's to personal you don't have to explain. 

Wishing you healthy thoughts!

Lisa

Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 11:08pm
Karen,

We are all strong, we all have made the choices that we made that we were willing, confident and comfortable in making. You did Rads, I did not. If not anything I and probably all of us have realized that recorrances happens in all scenarios whether medical, alternative, nutritionaly or timeline. Some beat it and some don't, but we all go into it with the same goal ( i think) , to do our very best to beat this monster, maintain some facsimile of our quality of life and pray a whole lot that whatever higher power we believe in gives us strength and has mercy on us too.
See i know already that if I have a recurrance one of my first thoughts if not the first will be" GOD DAM IT I SHOULD HAVE DONE THE RADS". Then I will be adding a new story to tell myself>>>>recurrance happens in all scenarios.
If we knew that one perrrrrfect solution to all problems, then there would be nothing to make us stronger, wiser, more grateful or open to listen to everything. I love humor and silly goofiness, feels soo good in time that really suck. Kind of a vaca for a time from this thing called life. Difficult to find in tough times, but it feels really good. Along with taking time for yourself (always the difficult thing for me), yoga is great, completely loving it (light stuff no hard can do right now).

Strong we stand,
Natalie

-------------
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg

Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 11:25pm
Lisa,
Not too personal at all, any time I can offer anything for support I will (don't know too much though lol). I just wanted the thing out as soon as possible so I could get to the chemo faster and to attack systemically, and my team agreed. Easier recovery from a Lumpectomy then a Mastectomy. Unfortunately Chemo tough for me to recover from to get to the Mastectomy quick. It was 10 weeks from last treatment. I wanted it much soon, like 3 maybe 4 weeks out but my fatigue was really bad. My white cell count was o.k though.
I know some girls leave it in for chemo to see if it is working, ahhh not me.

My very best and Be strong,
Natalie

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 11:48pm
Hi Marion

You are way ahead of me! I was finally able to set up my 2nd opinion trip to UCSF next week.  My surgery (lumpectomy) is scheduled for the following week.  I am not decided about neoadjuvant therapy -- the breast surgeon here in Michigan is steadfastly recommending lumpectomy over neoadjuvant therapy (they said the tumor is small 1.7 cm by US although by MRI it was 3 cm, so unclear what is real size at this point).

What made you decide on the trial?

Lee

-------------

Posted By: Barb060111
Date Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 11:58pm
Marion,

I live in the Philly area and received my chemo at Penn.  I met with Fox Chase too.  Always get second opinions.  You can never be too informed.  I just completed my radiation yesterday and am now considering clinical trials as I had some minor residual disease.  If you have any questions about treatment in the area, I would be happy to help.

Barb

Date Posted: Jan 09 2012 at 6:47pm
This strategy will hopefully shrink the tumor to the point of disappearance, while killing any cancer elsewhere in my body (although there does not appear to be any).  If the tumor does not shrink, we know the chemo mix is not working and can try a different one.  This seems to be a new method on working with TNBC.  I get my port tomorrow.  I ordered a wig today. 
 from MSN: New moves to fast track breast cancer drug trials http://health.msn.com/health-topics/video.aspx?vid=663a67c8-61f0-4169-99a7-382e47a35b70&src=CPPlayer:endslate:email:uuids&from=email - - The MSN Video Team

Date Posted: Jan 09 2012 at 8:30pm
Marion
Good luck with your chemo....I checked out the video.  Is your trial part of the ISPY-2 trial?  I didn't know Fox Chase is a participating site.  I am in Michigan and U of M is not a participant.
Neoadjuvant therapy makes a lot of sense to me but U of M is not recommending it
If you got on the trial even though Fox Chase is not a site, let me know how your oncologist was able to arrange it.
Lee

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2012 at 8:50pm
No, I am not part of espy-2.  This is my study:  http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00813956?term=carboplatin+gemcitabine+iniparib&rank=10 - http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00813956?term=carboplatin+gemcitabine+iniparib&rank=10
We have a friend at a major univ who is in the surgical onc department.  He seemed happy with this for me.  I will probably talk to him tomorrow night.  I will let you know.

Date Posted: Jan 09 2012 at 9:27pm
Hi Marion,

Positive thoughts for your port placement tomorrow.
-----------------------------

From your link above on the clinical trial:
ARMS:
Experimental
standard chemotherapy plus BSI-201
Intervention: Drug: gemcitabine plus carboplatin plus BSI-201

ASSIGNED INTERVENTIONS
Drug: gemcitabine plus carboplatin plus BSI-201
iv, 3 week cycles
--------------------

Does this mean standard chemotherapy with BSI-201?
OR   gemcitabine plus carboplatin plus BSI-201?

VERSUS

Does this mean standard chemotherapy with BSI-201
OR standard chemotherapy and gemcitabine plus carboplatin plus BSI-201?

In either case, what is their standard chemotherapy?

Apologize that I did not understand the clinical trial info and asking questions.

With very caring, positive and hopeful thoughts as you start your treatment plan,

Grateful for today.................Judy

Date Posted: Jan 09 2012 at 9:43pm
Judy,

I believe the study Marion is entering is similar to the clinical trial I had, except hers is in the neoadjuvant setting.  She'll be getting all three drugs:  Gemcitabine, Carboplatin and Iniparib (BSI-201).  I hope they see good results with pCR.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 7:00am
Yes, it is all three, 6 cycles, 2weeks on, one week off.  all three on day 1, just iniparb for an hour on day 4.  Not sure about arms.  Donna, was this successful for you? 
As a side, I have trouble understanding the histories.  How do I make one for myself? 

Date Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 7:55am
Marion,

Yes, the dosing is the same that I had.  It made for long days on Days 1 and 8 when I got all three drugs.  When they're done with treatment sometimes the chemo nurses will ask if you want all of the saline IV or if you just want to go.  I'd always say yes so that I'd get all the fluids in my body.  

I had this treatment combo for my recurrence and it helped get me to NED.  I didn't lose my hair on it and found the biggest side effects were fatigue, low blood counts and elevated liver enzymes.  I was able to work during treatment.

To enter your history in your signature, go to the upper left side of the screen and click on "Member Control Panel".  Then click on Edit Profile.  Scroll down until you see Signature.  Type your information that you want to appear at the bottom of your posts.  Scroll down and click on Update Profile.  

Donna

-------------

Posted By: Disney Girl
Date Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 2:08pm
Hi Natalie,
   I was diagnosed with TNBC beginning of March had lumectomy end of March 2011, it was stage 1 size of tumor was 1.8 no nodes and BRCA was negative like yours......I see that you had lumpectomy then later had mastectomy.....I am considering a double mastectomy fearful of return and now I'm dealing with Cellulitis. I was curious why you had mastectomy after lumpectomy and chemo? I had 2 biopsies 1 was the tumor the other was not cancer but they stated they had to keep an eye on it. I have my next mammogram in Feb, I think I just dont' want to have to worry about them having to keep an eye on it and even though my BRCA 1/2 was neg I have a alot of family history w/BC.

Just wondering why you had mastectomy after lumpectomy and chemo.

Thanks,
Barb

-------------
DX 3/11 @ 49 TNBC
Stage 1 Tumor size 1.8 cm Lumpectomy 3/11
0 Nodes
8 Chemo 36 rads
BRCA-

Date Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 4:42pm
Barb,
It was my personal choice, although I had no rads. Since I was 35 I was told I was loaded with calcifications and had  very dense breasts. Same month a year prior I was biopsied up the kazoo in both breasts, especially the right.
When I was diagnosed one of the surgeons I consulted with was from Sloan Kettering. She told me that this cancer was probably there 3 years ago. Really? With all the biopsies, how could they miss this?
O.k. calcifications increase your chances for cancer, although a small increased risk....still a risk just the same. Dense breasts? Dense breasts can hide cancer. I also had scar tissue from all the biopsies now,scar tissue hides cancer.

I found my lump by chance when my hand brushed my breast while sleeping. Inside of 3 days I had a mamo and ultrasound. Everyone felt it but it did not show on mamo, it showed on ultrasound.
I consulted 4 different surgeons, all 4 said they would do whatever I decided BUT three of them said said that Mastectomy does not decrease your chances for recurrance then Lumpectomy. The fourth one was the only one that seriously said agreed with my feelings of a Mastectomy.
 Barb I just could not understand this. If I have them take between 95% & 98% of my breast tissue removed, then there goes a whole lot of calcifications, density and scar tissue.
Sorry for the rambling. let me get to the point here cuz I'm starting to put myself to sleep now.
Knowing that it was TNBC I and my doctors agreed to get it out as soon as possible so I could get to Chemo as soon as possible. It was a significantly shorter amount of time between Lumpectomy and Chemo then it was between Chemo and Mastectomy. I felt the need to do all I could within my own personal comfort. I am 2 weeks exactly out from my mastectomy, and although the drains are really uncomfortable I am not feeling all that bad. I also got the pathology results today from all the breast tissue (yep they tested it all). They did see a very small area of active tissue? It was not cancerous. All clear and they did note that I was loaded with calcifications and scar tissue. So YAY I am once again feeling really good about my choice.
I am choosing to just skip over last year and can't wait for this year. New year....new me.
What ever you decide will be right for you. I have to hand it to you for doing the rads. If anything recurrs for me I will say God dam should haave done those rads. I hate hinesight.

United and Strong,
Natalie

-------------

Posted By: Disney Girl
Date Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 4:53pm
Natalie,
   WOW!!! I'm sorry to hear that you were biopsied up the kazoo.....and then not finding anything. I totally understand the urgency in wanting to get to chemo ASAP....I felt the same way, I wanted it done and treatment started......but everything was such a blur to me still is when I look back from the time I found the lump, I knew exactly what it was....I just happened upon mine as well, I actually had an itch on the side and went to scratch it and found the lump, which the doctors are kind of surprised about because it was really in there, I say it was my grandmother (passed) who helped me find it. I couldn't wrap my brain around the whole saying that mastectomy does not decrease your chances for recurrence compared to lumpectomy. At that point I just wanted my woman hood....ya know!!! Now I wish I would have done mastectomy from the beginning but I guess everything happens for a reason.
I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling pretty well 2 weeks out from mastectomy......and YAY I'm so glad to hear about your results and your feelings with your decision....I applaud you!!!!

Stay Strong as I know you are
Barb

-------------
DX 3/11 @ 49 TNBC
Stage 1 Tumor size 1.8 cm Lumpectomy 3/11
0 Nodes
8 Chemo 36 rads
BRCA-

Date Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 6:58pm
The port went in easily and quickly, I just don't like this weird feeling in the vein.  I did not realize there would be 2 incisions.  Thank you for all of the good wishes.  The hospital is still working on getting my insurance to cover the trial.  Don't know why they were not jumping on this from when we signed the papers last week.  Scheduled for mammagraphy and biopsy and inserting a metal marker in the tumor for Friday.  Hoping the chemo will start Monday.   I did order a wig yesterday, but now from your reports, I am hoping I will not need it. 

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 12/11 age 45, Stage 1,Grade2,2cm,?Nodes ,BRCA-
1/12 chemo trial:gemcitabine,carboplatin iniparib 18 wks
6/12 lumpectomy+sentinal lymph node biopsy, pcr
7/12 rads
8/12 metformin blind trial

Date Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 8:53pm
Hi Marion, How are you doing with your chemo?  I finally settled on a treatment plan. I made an appointment to be fitted for a wig (AC is guaranteed to cause hair loss).  My insurance is saying they are not paying for a wig even though I have good coverage.  Is yours paid for by your insurance?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:30pm
Lee, Marion and all,

The following info might help.
If one calls one's insurance company and ask if a wig is covered for chemotherapy ,
       one may get the answer "no".
If one calls one's insurance company and asks under what benefit or under what term
      is a "wig" used for chemotherapy hair loss covered,,
      one may get the answer:
               Wigs are not covered.
               Hair or scalp prosthesis or cranial hair prosthesis   (or a term similar to these)
                     for hair loss associated with chemotherapy is covered with a physician's
                     prescription (using the correct term)
              Sometimes the hair/scalp prosthesis is covered under one's "durable medical
                    equipment" which covers "prosthesis".
    The American Cancer Society or the social work department at center may be able to
           provide additional info and resources.
    Found this article which seems to have good info:
     http://www.wigindustry.com/102508c.htm - http://www.wigindustry.com/102508c.htm

If the above has already been tried, sorry for repeating the info.

With positive and hopeful thoughts,

Grateful for today..............Judy

Date Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:36pm
Lee,

Can your onc write a prescription for a wig (prosthesis)?  Mine did and my insurance covered about 75% of the cost.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 11:51pm
My doctor did write a prescription for a cranial prothesis but BCBS is denying coverage.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 11:56pm
Judy and Donna
Thank you for your advice, I'll see if my doctor can reword.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 12:42am
Lee,

Looked at BCBS of Michigan website.
Do not know which type of policy you have.
For the " Individiual Care Blue Plus" policy, the site has:

In-Network Out-of-Network
Outpatient Services
Outpatient physical, occupational and
speech therapy Covered – 70% after deductible; 12 visits total, all therapies combined, per member,
per calendar year
Covered – 50% after deductible; 12 visits
total, all therapies combined, per member,
per calendar year
Chemotherapy (IV) Covered – 70% after deductible Covered – 50% after deductible
Chemotherapy (oral) Covered under prescription drug benefit
Home infusion therapy (BCBSM-
participating providers only) Covered – 70% after in-network deductible
Voluntary sterilization Covered – 70% after deductible Covered – 50% after deductible
********Prosthetics: mandated only
               (BCBSM-participating providers only) Covered – 70% after in-network deductible ********

Then, question would be with your type of policy:
What is the "outpatient services"     "prosthetics" benefit?
    What are the prosthetics that are "mandated"?

Maybe if you call BCBS and you get the same answer that "wig" is not covered and you still get
     not covered for cranial/hair/scalp/ prosthesis, you could ask to speak to a supervisor.
With all due respect, think sometimes when one calls an insurance company, the first person one
     speaks with does not know where to find the cranial/hair/scalp prosthesis benefit.
     Sometimes think the person thinks of a prosthesis as an arm or leg etc type only.
The other thing......there could be a maximum amount allowed.....and only part of the wig cost
      would be covered (at your benefit level....? 70%, 80%, etc)
Hope above solves issues.
If not, sometimes a policy will special riders.   You could check with your employer HR/benefits
dept to confirm whether there is or is not a wig/cranial prosthesis benefit........don't know
if you have chosen to inform your HR/Personnel of your diagnosis.....so, this may or may not be
an option.

Judy

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 6:59am
My cranial prosthesis was not covered.  I called BCBS and they explained my employer did not have it in the plan.  I called my employer HR, and she confirmed.  I then called my hospital's social worker to see if she had any coupons or associations with the salon that was recommended.  She ended up working a deal with the salon and the salon sent the hospital the bill, as she has a fund for such things.  When I picked up the wig, they gave me my deposit back.  very generous and unexpected.
Lee, are you also doing chemo before surgery?

My 1st day of chemo was Monday.  I think it went okay.  Was a long day with blood tests first, waiting for results, seeing the doctor, then 3.5 hrs of antinausea and chemo infusions.  My sister took me shopping yesterday, and I am a little tired, different than my usual fatigue.  Tomorrow I get a one hour infusion of the trial med only.  They are switching me to Tues/Fri next week and for the rest of the trial.

-------------
7/12 rads

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 9:07am
Marion
I am getting my sentinel node biopsy tomorrow (no breast surgery) and starting chemo on 1/30. I am not on a trial - there is no suitable trial for me here so I am getting the standard dose dense AC followed by a taxane.  The taxane regimen will depend on how I fare with the AC.
You lucked out with your wig thing.  Not sure it will work for me.  My insurance provider says my policy doesn't have the rider that included cranial prostheses.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 9:31am
Lee, Good luck with sentinel node biopsy.  I am not sure why i have to wait until for surgery for mine.  I am so glad we are on similar paths together.  Good luck with the social worker idea for help with the wig.  I am attending a 'look good feel better' event next week that helps with makeup and wig and head covering ideas.

-------------
7/12 rads

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 10:10am
Marion,
Having the SLNB before neoadj. chemo I don't think is standard practice.  In my case, I was already scheduled for breast conservation surgery with SLNB.  I got a second opinion out of town (SF) and they strongly recommended having neoadj. chemo first.  So my team here re-assessed the situation (in part because my MRI showed a 3 cm mass, not a 1.7 cm mass by ultrasound that was what the original assessment was based on) and we went ahead with neoadj.  However I was already scheduled for SLNB they said to go ahead.  Normally the folks here would do a FNA (fine needle aspirate) of axillary lymph nodes for neoadjuvant.
Keep us posted on how things are going with you.  I'm most concerned with my ability of keeping somewhat active during the whole treatment.

-------------

Posted By: BamaRachel
Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 1:13pm
Our Blue Cross didn't cover my wig(s) either.  However, the American Cancer Society will give each cancer a free wig and a couple of head coverings.  You might check with your local AMC office.  I ended up getting a free one after I had bought a couple of wigs -- just to give me some variety. 

-------------
DX 7/5/11, TN Invas; Lump w/clear marg., 7/21/11; Stage 2A. Grade 3, 2.6 c; 0/6 nodes; TX 8/22/11 4DD E/C; 4Taxotere; Chemo ended 1/3/12; 33 Radiation Treatments, ended 3/15/12.

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 7:37pm
Thank you for all the suggestions regarding the wig. I have tried calling the local ACS, for some reasons, the line is always busy.  After my SLNB I will call the social work department to see if they will help. The nurse practitioner was saying a lot of things about insurance coverage have changed since the beginning of the year so maybe this is part of the problem.

-------------

Posted By: SagePatientAdvocates
Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 9:19pm
Hi Lee,

http://breastcancer.about.com/od/wigsandcancertreatment/a/free_wigs_for_cancer.htm - http://breastcancer.about.com/od/wigsandcancertreatment/a/free_wigs_for_cancer.htm

warmly,

Steve

-------------
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 9:52pm
Marion,

What good news to hear how well your first chemo infusion went.
Some find the first infusion sets the pattern for the rest of course........and /or once first infusion
is done, then one's plan of supporting meds can be adjusted with one's MD as needed.
Here's to a good experience for tomorrow.

You probably have seen all the references to BRCA and Vitamin D testing on the forums.
Just in case, will copy the forum links.........and you can then discuss with your provider if
tests not already considered yet.

BCRA testing forum topic:
%20http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/very-important-news-re-tnbc-brca-testing_topic8458.html?KW=BRCA - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/very-important-news-re-tnbc-brca-testing_topic8458.html?KW=BRCA

Vitamin D forum topic:   see especially p. 26 where there are several good articles posted.
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338.html - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338.html

With caring and positive thoughts,

Grateful for today...............Judy

Date Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 10:34pm
Marion,

An addendum:

One other thing.......have you thought about a nutrition consult at the Cancer Center?
I found the nutrition consult with the oncology nutritionist at the Cancer center to be most
helpful. The earlier one has the consult the better. I thought " I knew enough about nutrition"
but the consult fine tuned my eating plan especially during chemo when I had no appetite.
I was able to eat......just no appetite. Know everyone is different and some people have the
opposite....increased appetites.....and some no appetite change.
Disregard if already done or not needed or not helpful.

Judy

Posted By: kirby
Date Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 2:04am
As a former facilatator for the Look Good , Feel Better classes thru ACS, wigs are usually given out at class. The wigs are donated, many of them new with tags on them. Color and styles may vary. ACS generally gives out wigs for those not attending classes as well. Again , selection will always vary. Because of the sponsers for the class, all facilitators are licensed hairdressers. They will be able to help with selection and styling of wigs available. Most people really enjoy the class so I do encourage those going thru tx to call ACS for class listings.

-------------
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads

Date Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 6:27am
Well, I am now on day 15 of treatment, my week off.  I have been doing well, maintaining a positive attitude and enjoying my company at my 4 infusion days so far.  The fatigue and chemo brain got me.  I have no nausea, just constitpation (senakot s helps that).  Day 3 of each week finds me wired from the steroid they put in the mix.  I do feel like the tumor feels differently; I think it is smaller, but my husband does not want his hopes up before I go back next Monday.  I see the radiation doc (because was not available on my first consult day) tomorrow and I hope she will measure me. I am most concerned about my hair.  Donna said she did not lose hers on this med combo, so I am hopeful.  I do go to the salon where I got the wig tomorrow to at least cut my hair to a short layered bob that will fit under the wig if it thins.
Lee...how are you?  how did your sln go?  did you start chemo? 
I am thankful to all of you for being here on this site and for all of the support.

-------------
7/12 rads

Date Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:45am
Hi Marion
I am sitting in the clinic waiting to see my oncologist before starting my first chemo (DD AC- T).  Anxious but am glad to get the show on the road and fight back against the runaway tumor. My sentinel node biopsy went well - two were removed and negative. I too ordered my wig last week ( despite my best efforts the wig is not covered) and I will have to return for styling. I got my hair cut as well - about an inch now so my husband can do the buzz cut later.
Will let you know how it goes.
Best of luck 
Lee

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:50am
We are all rooting for you, dear Lee, as you start this journey..

warmly,

Steve

-------------
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Posted By: Charlene
Date Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:52am
Marion and Lee,
I am praying for both of you to have minimal side effects from the chemo and for this time to pass quickly.  It is a scary, anxious time, but your treatments will come to an end and you will get your lives back again!  Remember, as others have said on this forum many times, most people with TNBC survive!  Wishing you the best.
Charlene

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Date Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 10:42am
Dear Marion,

good luck to you as well, and to all going through treatment,

Steve

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 8:25am
thanks! 
Lee, such good news about the nodes!  How was infusion? I seem to only feel bad (wired from that steroid, restless, lack of focus) on day 3, then get better each day after that.  Today I go to radiologist for consult and then the salon.  I made an appt with a reconstruction dr at fox chase for a consult in a few weeks.  I still need to decide lumpectomy vs mastectomy.  Do you know yet which you will do?  It seems most on this site chose mastectomy.  I need to research.

-------------
7/12 rads

Date Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 8:52am
Hi Marion,
I feel better this morning (so far) than yesterday. The infusion itself went fine (I was mostly knocked out after the pre-meds). After the infusion, I got home, had some late lunch but started feeling very very groggy and had to take a nap. Then started feeling nauseous so I took a compazine and went to bed.  I am taking it easy.  So many meds to take!

There is some data for TNBC (but not generally accepted in the mainstream medical community) that RT may be beneficial even in the case of mastectomy (see under NEW MEMBERS > OPEN ACCESS -- I don't remember the exact spot where the links are posted.)  You should definitely go over it with your rad oncologist.  Althogh my original tumor sizing by ultrasound was small 1.7 cm, by MRI it was 3 cm so a straight-on lumpectomy would create a significant defect.  If the neoadjuvant treatment shrinks it down, I am more inclined to go with the lumpectomy. There is no evidence to suggest DCIS  in either of my breast to warrant mastectomy.  Even if I were to go with a mastectomy I am not sure I will opt for recon (more surgery, significant complication rate etc).
Good luck with the rad oncologist and salon,
Best,
Lee

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 10:37am
Dear Marion and Lee,

wishing you both successful treatments!!!

all the best,

Steve

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 24 2012 at 12:20am
Hi Marion,

Was looking at your above posts.
Are you about to have your 3rd chemo.........will that be the halfway point?

In any case, sending good and positive wishes to you during your chemo treatment.

You mentioned about fatigue and chemo brain in one of your posts.
There is a thread on chemo brain. The entry for Dec 10/11 was some good info and references.

Thread on chemo brain: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/topic9064_post94334.html#94334 - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/topic9064_post94334.html#94334

With all good wishes,

Date Posted: Mar 16 2012 at 10:14pm
Hi Marion,

Sending caring and positive wishes to you as you continue your chemo.
Hope your pre and post chemo meds have been adjusted/tweaked to give you
as tolerable a chemo experience as possible.

Date Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 4:01pm
I just want to update my situation to those who offered such support to me at the scariest time.  I went through the chemo...needed 5 units of transfusions of hemoglobin during the last 3 cycles.  I kept half of my hair and had some constipation at the start due to the anti-diarheal medicines.  My last day of chemo was May 11.  My MRI showed no evidence of previous mass!  My lumpectomy and SNL biopsy was June 8.  Achieved Cpr!  I just finished my 30 radiation treatments yesterday.  I am red and sore, but happy to be done.  I go tomorrow for the first blood test to qualify for the blind Metformin phase III trial.  I am a teacher, but will go back to work in October, because these last 8 months have worn me out!  I feel very blessed.

-------------
7/12 rads

Posted By: Charlene
Date Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 4:27pm
Congratulations, Marion!  So happy to hear your good news!  I'm glad you're taking some extra time off to rest up before going back to teaching.  You need it, I'm sure.  I wish you nothing but peace, happiness and NED!
Charlene

-------------
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Date Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 5:46pm
Marion,

Thank you so much for updating us on how you are doing.......and what good news.
It so good to hear when people have finished their treatment plan.

Hoping as it nears October if your body needs another month, that can be arranged.
Also hoping when you return to the class room you can do it on a part-time....or gradual
increase to full time schedule.....if needed.

The very best of good wishes and thoughts for health and return of energy.
Hope your "new normal" is a good one.

Grateful for today..........Judy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net