Forum Description: A place to discuss metastatic disease
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=7474
Printed Date: Apr 25 2019 at 10:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Coffee Shop
Posted By: Pink Warrior
Subject: The Coffee Shop
Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:18am
Well, my biopsy was confirmed today.  Yesterday they said it would take 3 days, but, lo and behold, I got the call this afternoon.

My surgeon doesn't have the complete pathology back yet, but she believes it's the same TN as before.  

She recommends mx this time since it's only been a year since my last dx.  This breast seems hell bent on killing me, so it's got to go.  I'm opting to have the right breast removed as well.  At 38 years old, it's just one less thing to worry about for the rest of my life.  She said she would set me up with a plastic surgeon consult the same day I consult in her office next week, but I declined.  My preference at this point is to keep it as simple as possible - and truth be known, I'm tired of having breasts.  They're big and bulky and I figure without them, I can have a new wardrobe of really nice shirts, lose about 10 pounds and be free to stuff as many brand new, lacy Fredericks of Hollywood bras as I want.  LOL  When your breasts are this big, pretty bras aren't an option.

I did find this one sooner.  My last tumor was 2cm - this one is 1cm.  She believes it's very early stage.  I'd sure hope so considering I just had a clean PET on 8/31!!  It doesn't show on my mammo either.

Geeze this crap is relentless.  God bless and keep us all.

Kim

-------------
Dx:10/09,IDC Stg 2,Gr 3,TN
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
9/11 Skin mets, mediastinal & hilar nodes
Abraxane/Avastin

Replies:
Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:30am
Kim,

I know you must be in a state of shock, especially after having a clean scan.   I'm glad you caught this early.  Well we're both climbing back into the ring again.  This is one battle I'm tired of fighting.  May your surgery go smoothly and your recovery easy.  I'll be praying for you.

Hugs,

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:35am
We can tag team it this time, Donna.  Don't be getting tired of fighting!!  

I'll be saying many prayers for you too.  <3

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: dmwolf
Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 10:45am
Hi, Kim.   I'm really sorry about the news - ick, this cancer is a real b*tch.   I think you'll feel more secure with both breasts gone.  I know I have felt better since my surgery in September.   Will you do any sort of on-the-spot reconstruction?   You could do the one-step silicon implants in a small size and have them look decent so long as you don't keep your nipples (my mistake was that I kept mine).    The recovery is fine, really no worse than a plain mastectomy.  
Anyways, we're with you.
Love,
Denise

-------------
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 9:43pm
I really don't feel the need for reconstruction.  I've hated my breasts for years and would love to have the freedom of not being bound in a bra.  I also like the idea of keeping things simple for now.  I just want to get this beast out of me and move on with my treatment and move on with my life.

I might change my mind later on down the road, but for now, I'm comfortable with my decision.  

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: SagePatientAdvocates
Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 10:37pm
Hi Pink Warrior,

I am sorry about your dx.

I didn't see it in your profile...Have you met with a Certified Genetic Counselor..had BRCA testing?

good luck to you..you shall be in my prayers..

all the best,

Steve

-------------
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Date Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 11:38pm
Hi Steve.  

I did have the BRCA testing and was both 1 and 2 negative.  I was given the option just after my first dx for the test and told them "absolutely".  

I appreciate the prayers.  I'll take all those I can.  

Kim

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: Allison
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 12:19am
Dear Pink,

Rest assured that you will be on my prayer list right next to Donna! I wish that there was something more that I can do to help you both. Keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers frequent!

Allison

-------------
9/07 IDC, trip neg, BRAC-, Lumpectomy with SNB (all clear) 10/07, FEC & Taxatere 11/07 - 2/08, 32 rads, 3/08 - 5/08.

Posted By: TNBC_in_NS
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 12:29pm

Kim,

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this again! You and Donna are certainly in my prayers daily! I am at a loss as to why this cancer does not show on mammogram/u/s or now PET? How can it be clean in August and then now show 1cm??? I wish the testing was better than it is right now!!!!

My previous u/s showed a 1cm lump and then when recalled for biopsy, the other radiologist said he did not see anything???? So, no biopsy!  Just return in six months he put on the report, but told me to return in three months.... God knows. So, I am just living each day as if.....all is well..
What else can I do but wait until something goes really wrong and then deal with it then..
No promises...

Just know that I am here for ya and I agree about reconstruction right now.  Enough is enough! I would just have the bilateral mx then heal well.......and live life like there is no tomorrow!
Hugs, Helen in NS

-------------
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear

Posted By: LRM216
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 3:48pm
Pink Warrior,

You are in my prayers too, right along with Donna, and I agree wholeheartedly with your thinking.  If mine were to come back locally - off the would come and I would NEVER do reconstruction.  I don't think I know anyone that hasn't had problems of one sort or another due to the reconstruction, and I just figure - who needs it.  I'd be more than happy, as you said, filling my bras with what I felt I needed.  Perhaps because mine are large too, we feel that way.  Right now I have a c cup breast and an overflowing d cup good breast.  I can't get a bra, and am still in sports bras.  My insurance will pay for the surgery to have the good one made smaller, but it's still, finding the time to take a week or so off from work and I still am responsible for the $2,000 surgical deductible.  Ugh!  It's on my wish list, but - who knows if the right time and the extra money will ever be there!

I wish you nothing but the best and will be thinking of you with all good thoughts for a smooth journey.

Linda

-------------
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33

Posted By: trip2
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 6:05pm
Kim I am so sorry you have to deal with this monster again!  Reading about things not showing up in recent scans reminds me of a member who used to post here who said she awoke one morning with a lump the size of a deck of cards, this disease can be so aggressive and move quickly....just so important that we stay on top of things the best that we can.

You can have more surgery down the road if you choose.  Right now if you don't want to deal with it than don't, you have enough on your plate.  I felt the same way when mine came back, enough already.

Let us know how things are going and if we can help..

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: mainsailset
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 6:23pm
Kim, I had the same attitude about my breasts as you and went ahead with the dm. I have to say, it's a whole new world out there without them, I am absolutely elated! The bra burning was just the first step in the act of freedom and I've never looked back. And I figure that if they keep growing tumors it's a whole heck of lot easier to lop them off than some of the other strange places that these tumors seem to hide out in, so color those girls of yours and their bad habits gone!

-------------
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Posted By: Teddy
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 7:43pm
I just had a local reoccurance and am scared to death.  I was diagnosed aug 09 will 1 tumor 8cm no node involvement.  I had mastectomy and 4 treatments of A/C.   Then had reconstruction in Dec 09.  Had check up in July 10 and was fine,  3 weeks later noticed lump under same arm that I had cancer.  My bloodwork was good and oncologist said it was tendenitis.  2 months later at reg check up he sent me to surgeon who immediately said it need to come out.  They did surgery the next day and removed 7 lymph nodes all malignant.   Pet scan shows only under arm.   I am set to start radiation monday after thanksgiving and then to do 12 Abraxane chemo.    I am petrified.  Seems like everyone on here has had a recurrance.    I am 53.   thanks for listening.

Posted By: Ethan07
Date Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 4:11pm
WOW this is crazy!  I can't believe there are some many with a local recurrence, just after a CT or PET scan.   I was told mine was chondritis after a clean CT and tumor markers were clean.    6 weeks later I found a lump and now going through chemo again.  I hope everyone continues to fight this beast.  I know I am .  At 29, having the c twice, it just makes me fight harder!

Posted By: tninalabama
Date Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 8:16pm
I hope everyone with a recurrence will get the treatment to put the cancers at bay for a good long time. I have my PET scan next monday and hope the radiation got my mets.
Hope for a good outcome for all!!

Pam

-------------
Dx 11/07,stII bgr3,1/8+, metaplastic, recurrence 11/09, lymph dis 12/13+ 07/10, rad,x28 9/10,02/11 mets

BRCA neg
5-FMC since 03/12
PET 04/12,no progression
Bone scan clear 06/12

Date Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 12:05am
I'm tired from being on the road so much today, but wanted to check in.  I've got to keep in brief for now but I'll post more after I've had some sleep.

My complete pathology was finished when I went in for my bi-mx consult this afternoon.  It is indeed IDC again and also TN.  It's also DCIS - didn't have that the first time.  

Now I have a question because my surgeon said that chemotherapy would be based upon a complete pathology of the breast once it's removed.  She said that chemotherapy may not be warranted?  

I thought in every case of TN, no matter what, that chemo was always used?  Of course, once my surgery is over I'll be consulting with my onc, but WOW.  I can't imagine him saying he wouldn't use it right now.

Help!  Anyone heard of that?

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 7:44am
Kim,

No I haven't heard that for TN.  Maybe once you meet with your onc, he'll have more answers.  I'd definitely get another opinion if you get the same message. 

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 9:33am

That response would not put my mind to ease at all - not with TN.  But remember, that's from the BS.  Mine, a dedicated breast surgeon only, kept telling me that "perhaps" I might not need chemo as I had no nodes and it was ONLY 1.2 cms.!  My oncologist told me she was nuts!!  I think the onc will certainly suggest the right way for you to go.  good luck and keep us posted.

-------------
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33

Date Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 9:55am
I agree, I too was given the wrong info from my surgeon.  Their focus is surgery, you need to discuss this with an Oncologist.  Have always read chemotherapy is best for TNBC...good luck and let us know!

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 2:13pm
Thanks girls.  I have no doubt that my onc will suggest chemo and I'm perfectly at ease with that.  I knew when I found the lump that I'd be going through it again.  I've had it in the front of my mind for the last 3 weeks.  

It just threw me for a loop when she said that.  Not having DCIS before, I hadn't read as much on it, but figured being TN it wouldn't matter.

Thanks again.  You girls rock.  

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: walk4cure
Date Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 11:38pm
Haven't been on the site for awhile.  7 years since primary dx. 
 Felt a lump last Dec 09 and had x2 mammograms and x2 US, all indicated scar tissue in good breast.  (had reduction done 4 yrs ago in right breast when went through reconstruction in left) Recheck in one year.
Well lump still there and annual mammo last friday indicated a 1cm suspicious spot above scar tissue.  Went back on Tuesday for more films and US and radiologist, thinks it recurrance.  Going for needle biopsy next week.
Freaking out! Thought this was behind me after 7 years.  Even my onc said in recent annual exam, 'looking good"  Recent labs, bone scan and CT were negative.  Now this.... 
Long holiday weekend and all I do is think about if cx is back.  This is so stressful!

Mary

-------------
Mary-CA
TNBC 3/2003, Rt Mast,16node-neg,Stage I,Grade III, BRCA-I&II neg,Chemo ACTx16,Taxol 6 txs,No rads, Reconstruct5/07, Latissimus Muscle.
12/2010-Lt Mast. ER/PR+ HER2-GradeI,Stage? Path-pending

Date Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 11:48pm
Kim,

I feel your anxeity about recurrence and reconstruction.  Had reconstruction 4 years after initial right mx.  Glad I waited to have done.  Happy with results now....and now spot in good left breast.  Just when I thought life was good, gets slammed with this issue all over again. 
My Prayers are with you.
Been telling myself last few days this journey is for a reason....just haven't figured out why yet again.

Mary

-------------
Mary-CA
TNBC 3/2003, Rt Mast,16node-neg,Stage I,Grade III, BRCA-I&II neg,Chemo ACTx16,Taxol 6 txs,No rads, Reconstruct5/07, Latissimus Muscle.

Date Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 12:01am
Mary,  

After seven years, this just isn't supposed to be.  I can't imagine everything that you're feeling, but I do understand the stress factor.  

I'm looking forward to losing my breasts - so forward that I feel impatient and want them gone this minute.  Anxiety is a horrible thing.

God bless and keep you, Mary.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: diane1234
Date Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 12:17am
I am a mets girl. I just wanted to chime in about HOW FAST this beast can rear its ugly head. I had scans to confirm mets to mediastinal node and Mammary nodes. Three weeks later did more scans and BOOM it had already hit my liver....CRAZY STUFF!!!!!

Thoughts n prayers for each and every one of us.
GOD PLEASE BE WITH US ON THIS HORRIBLE JOURNEY!!!

Diane

-------------
dx 4/09 at 36 yrs old. dbl Mast. 5/09. 12 weekly Taxol 4 FAC tri weekly. 32 rads completed 2/2010. Its Back 5/2010!! Chest wall, Mediastinal node, Lft mammary node and liver. Back on chemo.

Date Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 2:25pm
Kim and Mary I feel so bad you two are dealing with this and yes Kim anxiety is a horrible thing.  I cannot know exactly how you both feel of course but realize this is all like a smack in the face.

I did experience a new primary on the other side and know along with the anxiety I felt alot of anger!

Just thought I would throw in that you of course have all of our support and using a mild "something" for anxiety and possibly something to help you sleep  better might be worth trying.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 8:58pm
Mary, if that lump does turn out to be cancer (and of course I hope and pray that it isn't), it is likely a new primary and not a recurrence.   Seven years later, the original breast cancer you had is likely indeed cured, I should think.  Breast cancer doesn't recur locally in the opposite breast like that.   It would have been a new, independent event.   Not that anyone wants cancer, whether return of an old cancer or a brand new one, but I think of a new one as less worrisome in a way as you would have a fresh chance for it to be very chemosensitive or even a totally different kind - maybe non-aggressive ER+ or something like that.
Good luck and keep us posted.
love,
d

-------------
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Posted By: EileenF
Date Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 3:17pm
Kim, Diane and everyone else, I am so very sorry and angry that we all have to deal with the the tnbc coming back so quick and so hard.  I continue to pray and send good wishes and hope very soon we will have a cure for us all to take.  

-------------
7/09:IDC,stg 3,Grade3, pos lymph;chemo ACT;12/09 lumpect n lymp disect;1/10 bilat masect/tis exp; rad cmpltd 4/10; 11/10 stg 4 lungs chest axil mets & parp trial;3/11 IBC diag;

Date Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:45am
Kim,

Thinking of you today and praying that your surgery goes well and your recovery smoothly.  Please post an update when you're feeling up to it. 

Hugs,

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:13pm
Kim posted in fb just a short while ago that she was in recovery...Kim I am so sorry, memory failure!
Take care honey and hoping for a smooth recovery..xoxo

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:30pm
Kim:

I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.  I am so sorry you had to go through all of this.  Am thinking of you and sending my very best wishes.

Linda

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:21pm
Hi, Kim.  I hope your recovery from double MX surgery is as easy as mine was.   Doesn't it feel good to have them bitches gone? ;)
Which is not to say that I haven't done my share of mourning their loss.  But still, overall my feeling is RELIEF and I hope yours is too.
love,
d

-------------

Posted By: TracyAMac
Date Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:35pm
Best wishes Kim for a speedy recovery.  May your surgery bring you some peace of mind. I am starting to think I should  have had the other one off too...

Tracy in Toronto

-------------
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial

Posted By: sue
Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 11:14am
Hi Mary, Diane, Kim,

Thank you all for coming here to share.  I am praying and wishing you all the best outcomes.  It looks like group hug week this week.  

Staying with you through it all.  Hugs and prayers, Sue.  

-------------
Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          

Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 11:23am
Thanks to you all!

I feel really good.  I haven't had anything for pain since I was in the operating room.  The DH posted for me most of the day Monday on FB.  I think I was awake enough to comprehend around 8PM or so, but I was still groggy most of the night.  Surgery started around 2:30 and they were wheeling me to my room around 6:50.  Poor DH got so sick.  Once I was in my room for the night, his whole day's worth of anxiety caught up to him and I ended up having to call the nurses for him.  I thought he was going to pass out, but he ended up throwing up in my bathroom!  Nothing I could do and that scared me more than MY issues.  lol  He was fine after that.

I feel great.  Still a little tired and have a bit of that anesthesia hangover going on now and then, but otherwise, doing good.  The biggest discomfort is where the drain tubes go into my sides (theres 4 total).  Hoping to have a couple of those removed when I go back to see my surgeon on the 17th.

This surgical bra is tighter than I'd like for it to be, but I guess it has to be that way.  My ribcage would love for it to be gone.  Ah well.  All in due time.  This too shall pass!

Lots of love to you all and thanks again for the well wishes, thoughts and prayers!!

xoxo

Kim

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: Debris
Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 12:10pm
Good to hear from you Kim, and that you are doing well, so far.  May the rest of your road to recovery be smooth, and uneventful.  Good luck, and God bless.

-------------
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs

Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 12:28pm
Kim,

Glad to hear you're recovering well.  Why don't you share how much weight you loss with your removal?  I loved hearing your story on FB.  It made me laugh.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 12:53pm
That's a great topic. :)
Mine must have been heavy, about 6lbs.
d

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:34pm
HA!  I had Matt hold my breasts for me a few weeks ago while I stood on the scales.  I wanted to have an idea of what I was losing.  I had J cup breasts, ladies and they were so incredibly heavy.  Matt was able to hold 15 pounds of breast tissue while I was on the scale.  The total lost after surgery was 20 pounds.

TWENTY pounds of boob.  OMG.  My back can't praise me enough!  lol

One of the doctors that was working in the OR with my surgeon said they just had to weigh the tissue to see for sure.  She said she figured I'd want to know, but I'm pretty sure it was mostly her curiosity.  HAHA  Although, Matt and I were curious too.  

Wow.

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:47pm
Kim,

Just think about it, you've had instant weight loss and your back is probably very happy right now!  That's like carrying a bowling ball around all the time.

How's the recovery going? 

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:53pm
I broke down and took some Tylenol at dinner.  I'm still a little foggy headed at times but for the most part, recovery isn't too bad.  My bra is really tight and I had to adjust the straps and sew them lower because the bra was cutting under my arms.  

I can handle a lot of things but that was getting a bit too much.  

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 6:16pm
Kim are you doing better now?

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 7:47pm
I'm better.  I ended up having to start antibiotics on Friday because the right incision was getting redder.  I had fever that night of 100.5, but none since.  The right incision is still draining pus and it's just horribly disgusting.  I keep emailing pictures to my surgeon and she says it looks pretty good.  It's opening up and she said that's normal and it will close on its own, however, it might take a while.  I'd feel better if I had some steri strips to put along the sides of where it's opening to keep it from going all the way across.  Maybe she'll do that Friday when I see her.  There for a while we thought I'd have to go back in the hospital for IV antibiotics and I'm so thankful we avoided that.  

My JP's are less than 30 a day now each, so hopefully they'll ALL go on Friday.  If it wasn't for these stupid drains, this would be so much easier.  These things impair EVERYTHING you try to do.  Now I have lower back pain thanks to all the compensating I have to do just to get out of a chair or off the toilet.  Ugh!

Thankful to be alive though.  And thankful that evil cancer producing breeding ground of a breast is gone too!

xoxo

Kim

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 7:52pm
Kim,

Glad to hear things are getting better regarding the infection.  So sorry about the drains, they are the worst.  You'll be smiling soon when you get them out.  Hopefully this week!

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 7:57pm
Hi Donna!  How are you feeling?

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 8:41pm
I'm doing OK.  Feeling a little tired, my wbc is going down.  They lowered the dose this week so the side effects aren't too bad.  

-------------

Posted By: TracyAMac
Date Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 9:25am
Hi Donna and Kim

You are inspirations of women who are so on top of what is going on! You have made your own luck by being vigilant and informed of your options.

Tracy in Toronto

-------------
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial

Date Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 9:41am
Thanks Tracy.  I was telling my bf the other day that with the first dx, I knew nothing about bc and had to get a crash course in BC101 to make some major decisions right away.  I've tried to educate myself as much as possible so that I have the latest news in my back pocket if needed.  With this latest recurrence I told my friend that the first time I felt like I was sitting in the back of the boat with my medical team steering.  Now I feel like they're still steering and navigating the boat but I also have my hand on the wheel with them.  It helps when you feel you have some control over an out of control situation.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 11:24am
Hoping you are soon drain-free and feeling much better.  Here for you.  Sue

-------------
Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          

Date Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 3:36pm
Kim,

Sorry to hear about that infection, very glad you got on some antibiotics!  Hope you can ditch some of those drains on Friday if not all.

I too had an infection after my bil mx, what a mess.  Had to have one drain put back in, it is sooo nice to be rid of those darn drains.

Thinking positive thoughts for you that things will be looking up now.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 18 2010 at 9:28pm
Hi everyone!

I did have all the drains removed yesterday.  Thank the good Lord!  My infection seems to have cleared, but I have some really ugly open areas on the incision.  My sx says they'll heal on their own in time, but it might take a bit.  I jokingly said "you think I'll have a scar"?  hehe

I'm still sore as the dickens on these drain sites, but at least they're not pulling my skin off every time I make the slightest move.  I can't express how happy I am to once again have the freedom in the shower to move without being tangled by drain tubes!

My sx explained in better detail about the undetected cancer in my breast.  She said that it ran in a line from the area where the old tumor was, down to where the new tumor was around the nipple area.  So, the "area of increased uptake" that was deemed "normal" on my PET is now considered spot on.  Now if we only knew which direction the cancer was growing.  Was it from the new tumor upward or from the original area downward.  She said it's very uncommon for cancer to grow downward like that, but, considering I'm not "common" with just about everything, who knows?  

My breast was so tender underneath the old lumpectomy the last 4 weeks I had my breasts.  The new tumor was painless.  I'm telling y'all though, I KNEW something was wrong.  Has anyone ever heard of breast tissue swelling with TNBC?  My whole breast was swollen to the point that when I took my bra off at night, you could see where the weak spots in the material laid because there'd be "pooches" of breast sticking out in those areas.  My breast was swollen for probably 6 weeks before it was removed and about 2 weeks before I found the new tumor.  Right before I went back for surgery, I pointed out that the area underneath the old lumpectomy site was "thickening".  It wasn't a solid mass because you could push the tissue apart, but, it felt more dense than the rest of the breast.  She attributed it to developing scar tissue or post biopsy changes.  And that makes sense to me!  However, my instinct was screaming something else.

Anyone have any ideas on that?

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 8:25am
It's all just so frightening - everything with this disease.  I am just so happy you are feeling better and the surgery has been done.  I hope the drain sites stop hurting real soon for you.  I had a large lumpectomy for my 1.2 cm nodule (two years ago this April), which was 5 cms. below my nipple.  Then, 2 weeks later a re-excision for two clean margins, which they got, but I still have pain in that breast, some days worse than others.  I have mammos and US every six month and a breast MRI once a year, but they just keep telling me, some women, unfortunately, just always have pain after the lumpectomy's especially a large one.  I have 22 of those little clips left in it too.  I haven't felt - to the touch - anything "dense" or lumpy, but then I never felt the original lump either, only mammo and US picked that up.  I hate this disease.

Wishing you all the best and a complete recovery real soon.

Linda

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:00pm
Kim,

I'm so happy your drains are out and the infection is clearing up.  It will take time for the drain area to feel better.  I remember the skin feeling sore for quite a while.

I'm amazed about what you told us from your surgeon.  Sometimes we only think of a tumor and don't realize like in your case where it could be everywhere in the breast.  Do you think your surgeon will research your case more to try to understand where it started?  Is it even possible?  I'm glad you trusted your instincts and knew something wasn't right.  Your gut feeling probably saved your life.

When do you meet with your oncologist? 

Glad things are looking better for you.

Hugs,

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:10pm
Kim,

Did you see the link that Mainy posted about TNBC trials?  Maybe print it out and take it with you when you meet with your onc.

15 trials coming available from September through today for Triple Negative   http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=triple+negative+breast+cancer&recr=&rslt=&type=&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=09%2F01%2F2010&rcv_e=12%2F16%2F2010&lup_s=&lup_e - http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=triple+negative+breast+cancer&recr=&rslt=&type=&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=09%2F01%2F2010&rcv_e=12%2F16%2F2010&lup_s=&lup_e =

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:20pm
Donna, 

She brought my case up at their last staff meeting to get a collective input/suggestions/recommendations.  I certainly think they'll research it because in November, when I first went to see her for the lump, she couldn't palpate it.  Once I pointed it out, she said it felt like a cyst - smooth, round.  Once it didn't show on the mammogram, she certainly still believed it to be a cyst but ordered the u/s to be certain.  When she got the u/s images, she told me "this doesn't look like a typical or common cancer".  She wasn't sure what it was at that point and neither did the radiologist, so then came the biopsy.  Once I told her that I was sore on the underside of my breast, she attributed it to post-biopsy changes.  So, there were a couple of factors in this recurrence that really shocked her.  She did mention at my follow up on Friday that it's virtually impossible to tell if my cancer started at the original site or at the site of the new tumor.  Having had increased uptake in the breast at the original site on the PET, I'd say it started right there and worked its way down.  

I've been in touch with my onc.  I called them when I found the new tumor and got my positive results and let them know what my surgical decision was.  They told me to call back after surgery to make an appointment.  I figured there wasn't much point in calling, at least until the drains were out.  I know he won't start me on anything until I'm healed, but, I'm calling Monday to give them a heads up on where I'm at in my recovery and let them decide when I should come in.  I don't think he has the full pathology on my MX yet.  

I told my sx that I wanted to get second opinions on my tx options.  She said she didn't think my current onc would do anything different than the oncs at Siteman.  The only difference between my first onc and my current one last time was personal preference between Adriamycin and Epirubicin.  When taxanes were discussed, the first onc preferred Taxol, while my current prefers Taxotere.  They both use Cytoxan and platinums, but, my current onc is certainly more open when it comes to the other options out there.  

Feeling good today, minus the female "gift" I got from all the antibiotics. 

Ready for some football!

xoxo, 

Kim

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:37pm
*thought*

If the palpable tumor was DCIS, comprising 20% of the total cancer found in the breast - how could it have been spreading upward?  Or for that matter, how could it be DCIS if it was originating from the original site with the cells working downward?  

Two different instances?  

I have to quit thinking before I get a headache.  Stupid breast.  Good riddance. 

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:42pm
Kim,

Thinking too much will give you a headache!  You should just feel comforted that you caught it early and they're gone!  Good riddance for sure.  Stupid, stupid breasts!  Maybe your case was an anomaly and something the surgeon will want to research further (or not).

So we're glad those breasts are gone and you're healing now.  Sit back and enjoy the football game!  We both know who we're rooting for today.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 1:45pm
Kim,

What was the PET uptake level at the original site?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 2:41pm
Kim the places where the drains were put in me are still tender after 3 1/2 years.  Maybe because there isn't alot of tissues there?  Don't know..

So many questions, we learn we need to find answers best we can but it can be too much sometimes. 
My sister sent me a term yesterday that came up in her Leukemia forum called "analysis paralysis".  Info overload, it can be so overwhelming.

Be easy on yourself, do your research as gently but thoroughly as possible for your Onc visits and definitely keep us updated on what you are learning.
I can't spell!!

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 4:53pm
Donna, 

I'm not sure on the level of uptake, but, it wasn't enough to alarm my oncologist and like I said, my surgeon said it was normal to have a certain level of uptake after lumpectomy.  I guess because of the cavity in the breast?  Heck if I know.  Once I heard I was clear, that's all I wanted to focus on.  I can ask my onc when I see him though.  I made my appointment today and go in on the 29th.  Thankfully he's here in the city, so, no traveling!  

Pam, 

There are times when I want to research, but, mostly, I just keep my distance.  I have suffered from anxiety and panic disorder since I was a freshman in high school.  Believe me, I make the worst patient.  lol  My brain processes what it hears at my visits and then it just runs nuts.  I try to rationalize what's going on with my body and make decisions based on what I hear it telling me.  Not my brain, my body.  lol  Let's face it, sometimes our bodies are speaking loud and clear at us and sometimes it's a whisper.  We just have to keep our ears open.

Where was I going with that?  I guess what I'm saying is that for the most part, I don't do a lot of research because it scares the crap out of me.  Both my onc and sx have told me to ignore statistics I find online, no matter the source, because they're too controlled and vary so much between all of us affected.  They tell me there's too much emphasis applied to non successful stories vs. successful ones.  You know how hard it is to believe all that when you read what's in a lot of the reports?  Of course.  We all do.  

My surgeon is so optimistic for me.  The real me believes in her optimism.  The second guesser in me wonders if she's just throwing me a bunch of crap so I don't give up or lose hope for the little time I have left on earth.  I told her that the additional cancer found in my breast made me feel as though I'd been handed a death sentence.  She said "absolutely not".  "This is still a curable breast cancer".  I cried when I heard that.  Cure.  Then here comes the second guesser.  "Oh really?!"  "well what about case x or case y and what makes ME any different"?  Sometimes I believe it.. other times I think the clock is ticking.  "Your PET was unremarkable with the exception of the area in your breast".  "You're already a year beyond the original tumor"  "Another PET should be clear, but we still need to do more full body imaging".  Rationally, that's very true - Irrationally I'm thinking they know something they're not telling me.  (of course, how could they)

Ok, now I'm babbling.  lol  Stupid Mondays, stupid thoughts, STUPID CANCER!!!

xoxo

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: Imamommaof3
Date Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 10:32pm
Kim,

I wanted to jump in (even finally registered myself) to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers.  I had a double almost a year ago (propylactic one rt.) and have never regretted it for one moment.  As I approached time for reconstruction, I put it off...I've been too happy without that trouble makin' tissue!  Nice to know I'm not the only one out there.

Best wishes for a fast recovery,
Kristy

Date Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 1:34pm
Kim I understand what you are saying and it's good you know what is best for you.   It can be hard reading online but thank heavens it isn't always bad news.  The fact that tnbc is getting attention now is definitely what I would call good news. 
Since I had chemo in 07 I have felt that that I may be turning into a bad patient. So many health
issues, the chemo really did a job on me, too much radiation I think, wondering if it will ever end? Had a stent put in a week ago and still
not feeling better.  Cardio and I thought we had the answer to this problem that I've had for
several months, he did find
a 90% blockage, but still feeling crappy so facing him tomorrow and almost feel ashamed to walk thru his door
like I failed the fix!  Like a bad student going to the Principal's office! lol

We do have to listen to our bodies even if we don't like the message.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 1:47pm
Kristy - Welcome to the group!  Sorry you had to be here, but there is comfort in knowing that you're not alone.  Don't be a stranger and feel free to jump in here any time!  The ladies and gents here offer great advice and support.

Pam - A week isn't very long for recovery after a stent is it?  Considering everything our bodies have gone through in recent years, I'd think you might need a bit more time to be feeling better.  I'm still not 100% after surgery, but each day gets a little better.  

You have my thoughts and prayers!

xoxo

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 8:49pm
Pam,

I didn't know you were having a stent put in.  I hope you start to feel better. 

Kim,

You sound so much stronger today.  It's easy to let our fears get the better of us.  I like what you said best, stupid cancer!

Donna

-------------

Posted By: HappyGoLucky
Date Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 11:59pm
Pam
I remember you telling me about cardiac issues. I am sending you healing prayers as I know what I was feeling when I had the cardiac cath done.  I am sure you are in good hands.

Donna
I am sending you tons of prayers for patience and hope to resolve your health and ins issues.

you 2 are very very important people and have helped so many on this forum.Hug

Love,
Karen

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:09am
Pam -

Just read about the stent - sorry you had to have this, but they can be God-sends too.  I hope you are feeling well afte it was placed.   You have been so quiet about yourself and your health lately, I didn't want to jinx anything by asking!!!  Please keep us posted as to how you too are doing, we all care very, very much.

In case I don't get back on - everything has been soooo busy, even here at work, and I have so much yet to finish up before Christmas, please know that I wish you and all my other wonderful sisters on board a beautiful Chistmas - and I pray - for all of us - a New Year that brings us all good news healthwise.

Love,
Linda 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 26 2010 at 9:03pm
Kim,
Was offline a few weeks.  So glad to hear your surgery recovery is going well.  Been a bit busy getting life in order.
I received my needle biopsy in early Dec.  breast cancer again...but this is classified as new second primary in other breast.  2003 dx: TNBC , this is ER/PR positive  HER2 negative.  Surgeon and Onc both claim this is rare to have each breast a different type of cancer.
Have scheduled left masectomy tomorrow with immediate reconstruction.
(wanted to get past Christmas)  
I waited 4 years after primary masectomy for reconstruction, and endured more surgeries than needed because of the wait. So decided to get plastic surgeon involved now.  (very comfortable with him and he did a great job on other breast)
All comes down to surgery tomorrow and if any lymph node involvement.  I will have some of the tumor frozen and sent off to lab for a mammoprint analysis since the cancers are different.  This is a DNA 70+ gene test to determine if I am hi or lo risk for cancer recurrence.  I'm still doing my research on this testing, but interested to learn of the results.  Tho for me and for my daughters future knowledge.

Will have more time for myself in next few weeks (recovery) and look forward to reconnecting with the many wonderful women/men on this forum.

Mary

-------------
Mary-CA

Posted By: zoomommy2
Date Posted: Dec 26 2010 at 9:24pm
Pam,
I somehow missed the stent event!  My husband had 4 stents and it always took him awhile to get to feeling better.  The cardiologist told him he could have gone back to work the next day, but he never felt good enough.  Hoping that your reckeck with the cardiologist made you feel better.  You haven't failed anything!
Lee in Denver

-------------
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda

Date Posted: Dec 26 2010 at 11:03pm
Mary,

So sorry you are facing a recurrence in the other breast.  Does the fear ever go away?  Hope all goes well with your surgery and the recovery is uneventful.  Please keep us posted.

Kim,

How are you feeling?

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 12:09am
Feeling stronger every day, Donna.  I pray that continues.  Amazing how far down the bmx knocked me.  I'll admit that I was not prepared for that!  The infection seems to have cleared completely and the areas that were open have scabbed over, so, hopefully they'll be closing quickly.  My arms are still tight but it seems I can reach a bit higher each day.  I slept with my hand under my head in the recliner yesterday and today my arm is really sore.  lol  Guess it wasn't ready to stay stretched out like that just yet.  Oh how I miss sleeping on my side!  I'm still leery of it though because of the incisions.  I can't believe it's only been 3 weeks since my surgery!

I see my oncologist Wednesday and am hoping to start tx asap.  I have no idea the average wait time between bmx and tx but, I'm ready to get going.

How are you feeling?

(thank you, everyone, for the positive thoughts and prayers xoxo)

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 12:44am
Kim,

I started chemo 3 1/2 weeks after my bmx.  So you're right on schedule.  Please let us know what chemo your onc recommends.  Did your surgeon give tell you about doing any exercises to help with your range of motion?  I remember them telling be to walk to wall with my fingers.  Some stretching exercises might help you feel better.  It does take a while to recover from the bmx so be gentle with yourself.

I'm doing OK.  I was sick all yesterday with a stomach virus.  I couldn't keep anything down except warm tea.  So much for Christmas dinner.  I'm much better today and hope I'm well enough for round 2 of chemo tomorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 6:38am
Dear Kim,

glad you are feeling stronger...

from what I have seen most oncologists recommend a wait of 4-6 weeks post surgery. in my daughter's case she had her port put in about 5+ weeks and started six weeks after. I think everyone is different and it is important that the oncologists/plastic surgeon judge how well you have healed before commencing chemo.

Have they spoken to you about a port? My daughter's veins made it difficult for infusions so a port was recommended and it helped her.

I think this is often standard but just in case anyone is not familiar-

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Linesports/Implantableport.aspx - http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Linesports/Implantableport.aspx

good luck, KIm...prayers continue for you,

Steve

-------------
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 9:11am
Steve,

During my first treatment I thought I was lucky to be able to have chemo without a port.  I had 4 tx and they did a number on my veins.  I had the needle leak during pretreatment and it burned all the way up to my skin.  My skin looked like a burn mark outlining the vein.  The vein also seemed to collapse.  So this go around and with many treatments planned, a port was absolutely necessary.  While I don't like this alien object poking out from under my skin on my chest, it makes treatments so much easier.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 9:27am
Kim:
I am so sorry this surgery is holding you down.  Everyone is so different when it comes to tolerance.  I am sure you will be stronger and have more mobility in the weeks to come. 

The exercises that Donna mentioned are very important to keep the range of motion going in your arms.  Walk your fingers up the wall as if to get to the higher shelf and back down again.  Don't push it but do as far as you can a few times a day and that will strengthen the muscles and loosen the ligaments that have been cut during surgery. 

Rest and take it easy until you are up to doing things.  This is a large operation and our breasts usually held us upright.  When that support is gone, it is like learning to walk and stand all over again.  Be gentle with yourself and know that we are keeping you in our prayers each day that you get stronger and heal well!
Take care,
Helen in NS

-------------
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 9:31am
Donna:
I sure hope you are feeling better today!

I remember one Christmas not able to eat and that was horrible.  It was the year my husband left and just the kids, mom and I were there.  It was a horrible feeling. 

I am sure that your vomiting is due to the treatments you are taking and nothing else.  Our bodies seem to take on a life of their own during treatment.  You can have Christmas in July and then really enjoy a nice turkey.  That is what we did one year.  It seemed to take the pressure off of that one day!

Bless you little one and so glad the insurance came through!
Hugs, h

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 9:43am
Pam:
I just read about you having a stent put in!  Good grief girl! With stents it can add 15 years to your life! Look out hubby! Blockage is a silent killer and I am so happy to hear they finally found the problem....

Last night at church, they asked for prayers for an old friend of mine.  It puzzled me because I usually know these things.  My cousin told me that my friend had an aneurysm in the brain.  They were at a party Friday night and she said she wasn't feeling well and that she was going home.  Well Saturday she went to one of the clinics that I work with and the doc sent her to EMERG who then rushed her to immediate surgery.  I spoke with her last night and they are calling her "the miracle." 

Sheila and I went to school together as did her hubby who passed away a couple of years ago with the same thing.  We are the same age, so we never know when things happen and/or why but she is doing fine and will be released on Jan 4th. 

Be easy with yourself Pam! You have endured a lot of illness over the past five years so never get down on yourself you too are a "miracle."  You are our Miracle!  Bless you dear friend, hugs h.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 10:11am
Steve, 

I had a power port placed about this time last year, just prior to my first AC tx.  I kept it after my final tx and have been going in to my infusion center for flushes about every 4-6 weeks.  

Thanks, Helen.  I keep reminding myself every day that I'm still in recovery mode.  It's easy to forget that when you're chasing 3 kids around the house.  That is, until your body screams "WHOA!"  LOL

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Posted By: Imamommaof3
Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 11:15am
yahoo to chasing three kids around the house.  sometimes that can be the best medicine!  I have a 5,6 and 7 year old who are screaming to go sledding right now...brr.....I need more hair to stay warm with that!
best wishes,
K

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 2:00pm
Kim,
I took forever to heal from my mastectomy in 2009.  It was 2 1/2 months til I could start chemo!  I was panicking because the incision wouldn't completely heal.  I had a time limit to startig the Avastin study and I was close to the cut off time, but I made it.  At least I was feeling like I could lick my weight in wildcats once I started.  You are on an excellent healing schedule, even if it doesn't feel like it.
Lee in Denver

-------------
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 2:16pm
Mary we will be thinking about you today, hope everything goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery.

Kim so glad you are feeling better!

Helen what an amazing story about your friend!  I am so glad she is going to be ok.

Donna hope your tummy is doing better?

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 9:03pm
Hi everyone!!  I hope you all had a lovely holiday.  Mine was lots of fun, filled with food and more food, visits with friends and family, yoga, daily runs, movies, massage, pedicure, walks, ....
We just drove back from LA today, with me at the wheel for the last 4+ hours.  I am beat.
I love you guys,
d

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 11:01pm
we love you, too Ms. D. Smile

Happy, Healthy New Year, my friend..

love,

Steve

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 12:08pm
Happy to hear about your lovely holiday.  Thanks for sharing it with us.   

Mine was very nice with visiting family and friends, good food, drink, practical gifts and cheer.  Even though the Blizzard delayed my second chemo treatment by 2 days, it was very pretty.  It should all be melting away this week, so less shoveling required.  

Wishing you a great New Year as well.  

Sue

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 2:41pm
Met with my oncologist today.  He didn't have the full pathology report from my BMX yet, so I had to wing it with what I knew.  He did have my surgeon's recommendations though.  

I start chemo on Monday - 4 rounds of taxotere and carboplatin and then rads to the left chest wall.

I wish all of you a safe, happy and most of all, a healthy 2011.

Kim

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 2:43pm
good luck with your treatment, Kim..

we are all rooting for you..

Happy New Year,

Steve

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 2:46pm
Kim,
Praying for an easy time of it with your new chemo on Monday.  May 2011 be a wonderful and healthy year for you.
Lee in Denver

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 3:56pm

Kim -

All the best with the new chemo, Kim.  Will be thinking of you and wishing that 2011 be your best year yet!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Lillie
Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 4:29pm
Thanks for sharing your journey with us Kim. I am wishing you a great 2011 also.

I pray that the treatment plan will be "perfect" for you.

God Bless,
Lillie

-------------
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED

Posted By: Shelly Rae
Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 5:03pm
Good luck and hope treatment goes by fast.
Thinking of you through all of this cancer mess.

-------------
4/09 age 47 Stage 3a, Gr 3,1 node micro ACx4 Tx4 Rads x 33, done Dec.1,2009 NED

Posted By: Shelly Rae
Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Pink Warrior Pink Warrior wrote:

HA!  I had Matt hold my breasts for me a few weeks ago while I stood on the scales.  I wanted to have an idea of what I was losing.  I had J cup breasts, ladies and they were so incredibly heavy.  Matt was able to hold 15 pounds of breast tissue while I was on the scale.  The total lost after surgery was 20 pounds.

TWENTY pounds of boob.  OMG.  My back can't praise me enough!  lol

One of the doctors that was working in the OR with my surgeon said they just had to weigh the tissue to see for sure.  She said she figured I'd want to know, but I'm pretty sure it was mostly her curiosity.  HAHA  Although, Matt and I were curious too.  

Wow.
I know this post is old but it made me think about years ago when I had breast reduction and people would say to me that I looked like I lost weight and I would say to them Yeah I lost a couple of pounds and smile. The thing that was funny was the first time I sat at the table how much closer I was able to be:) Who would of known years later I would have cancer and have a breast removed. Now I need to decide what to do with the other one.

-------------
4/09 age 47 Stage 3a, Gr 3,1 node micro ACx4 Tx4 Rads x 33, done Dec.1,2009 NED

Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 5:23pm
Kim,

Thanks for the update.  Wishing you a happy and healthy 2011!  Hoping next year is better for all of us.

My friend did Carbo/Taxol and didn't lose her hair, just thinner.  Maybe the same will happen to you and no hair loss. 

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 8:27pm
Sending prayers your way for a healing from chemo and that it is tolerated well.  

Just had my second round of Taxotere and Cytoxan today, Neulasta shot tomorrow.  

Wishing you a very healthy, happy 2011! 

With love and hugs, Sue

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 30 2010 at 1:16am
Shelly,
 I'm having a reduction in March to match up my newly reconstructed breast on the left.  Right now they are mismatched because I sure didn't want 2 huge ones again!  I know my back will surely appreciate the load off!
Lee in Denver

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:01pm
Surgery was successful on Monday 27th.  Though I was praying that there were no lymph node involvement.  But alas, cancer cells in sentinel node.  So for sure will be having chemo.  Will need to wait for full pathology results for any additional treatment information in couple of weeks.

Trying to stay strong, heal and keeping positive.  Been through all this before, but even a second time around still brings you down.

Thank the lord for family, friends and prayers. 

Mary

-------------
Mary-CA

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:21pm
Kim wishing you a smooth journey with a successful new year!

We are here for you anytime sweetheart..Hug

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:26pm
Mary,

It's difficult to stay positive after finding a recurrence.  Please let us know what treatment they recommend.  Sending healing thoughts and hugs your way.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:26pm
I don't have much time to get a second opinion on my tx.  

Does the regiment he's suggesting sound on par with y'all?  Four treatments didn't sound like much to me, but maybe for a recurrence it is?  He's watching my tumor markers, so, I figure if they haven't dropped by the end of 4 rounds then he'll do more.

He was going to only do the Taxotere and I asked if adding a platinum would be appropriate and he said "absolutely".  

So, 4 rounds of Taxotere with Carboplatin every 3 to 4 weeks depending on counts and enzymes.

It's all those free floating cancer cells that were found in the breast that scare the bejeezers out of me!!

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:29pm
Hi Mary, glad to hear the surgery went smoothly but so sorry to hear you had some positive nodes as I understand this had to be very upsetting for you.

Yes even though we have been thru this before, being more familiar with what is to happen, it still has a huge impact on our feelings, our fears.  No one wants to do this once let alone again!  Even though it can be difficult to do, try focusing on one hour or one day at a time.

Keep us updated on how things are going..

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:36pm
Kim,

I'm no medical expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt.  I know you've said your onc likes Taxotere over Taxol.  However with Taxol, you could do dose dense with the Carboplatin.  My friend had Carbo/Taxol week 1, then Taxol only for weeks 2 and 3, then a week off.  You might want to ask the advantages of doing dose dense over Carbo/Taxotere every 3 weeks.  I think they're probably both as effective and maybe just personal preferences by the oncologist.

Donna

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 1:56pm
Kim I am looking to see what I can find.  Good for you for asking about the Carboplatin!

This is for metastatic bc,
http://www.breast-cancer-treatment.org/anthracycline-resistant-cancer.htm - http://www.breast-cancer-treatment.org/anthracycline-resistant-cancer.htm

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/chemotherapy/new_research/20101005.jsp - http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/chemotherapy/new_research/20101005.jsp

Most of what I am finding is on neo-adj treatment but will keep looking.

http://www.asco.org/ascov2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=47&abstractID=32044 - http://www.asco.org/ascov2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=47&abstractID=32044

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 2:20pm
Donna, 

I asked about dose dense and he said that he prefers not to do DD therapies (and yes, he does prefer taxotere over taxol).  He said the end results are generally comparative and he doesn't like to induce unwanted side effects if he doesn't have to.  He also said that for whatever reason, I'm super sensitive to the meds and therefore, he doses me down just a notch anyway.  He said that if we were aiming for a 90% odds with x amount of chemo, he would dose me down to an 88-89% odds.  Not much difference in the survival odds, but huge difference in side effects.  He wouldn't risk toxicity to gain that extra 1-2%, in other words.  He's a great oncologist, one who listens and shows a genuine concern for what my concerns are, and I do trust him.  I just had to ask, because, like all of us, I'm full of "what ifs".  I know that the brothers and sisters here aren't oncologists, but, we've seen this TN, lived it, breathed it and walked this journey together and if anyone would know what the rest of us have gone through, well, it's us!

Pam, thanks for the links.  I read a lot of T/C being used for mets, but not recurrence.  Promising sounding results though.  Dear Lord, I hope it works.

God bless and keep us all. 

xoxo

I'm going to draw a graph that he drew for me and post it here in regards to chemotherapy and attaining therapeutic levels.  

Pam - Just saw the last link you added.  Sounds good!  Thank you so much!

-------------
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net