Forum Description: A place to introduce yourself to our community
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=5237
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 8:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New member
Posted By: Angel39
Subject: New member
Date Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 8:12pm
Hello everyone.  I have stage IIIC Breast Cancer and need little more information about it.

I am 39 years old.  A wife and mother to two teenage daughters, Megan 17 and Jessica 16.

I found a lump in my left breast in March.  I went to my GYN Doctor who then sent me for a diognostic mammogram which confirmed there was a lump.  I was then sent for a needle biopsy.  I knew by the look on the Drs. face that I did, in fact, have cancer.  At that point I started crying.  I did not know what to think or how to react to the news.    

My husband had told one of his friends on the job site of my situation.  I received a call that evening from his wife who happened to work for a Breast Surgeon.   She gave me information I felt was helpful.  I wanted to be certain this Dr. was good so a friend went online and pulled his credentials.  He was in the medical magazine and was rated #1 for his performance. 

The Dr. did not sit on this, he moved very quickly.  He wanted to start chemo right away.  Even if it meant not having the port in.  He gave me the AC and T treatment (AC 1 dose every two weeks for 2 months and 12 treatments of the Taxol-1 dose weekly).

I had a mastecomy of the left breast and 18 lymph nodes removed.  Ten of the Eighteen nodes was cancerous.  The Dr. said the tumor, which was 7 x 6 in the beginning, did not shrink like he would have liked it to.  Instead of it shrinking in size it flattened it like a piece of swiss cheese with holes in it.    

I will be starting radiation treatment around Dec. 1st.  The radiation Dr. informed me that my cancer is a little more complicated than most patients.  Because the cancer was not contained in the nodes he has to treat me more aggressively.  We are talking the chest, breast, under arm, the nodes in the neck and hit me from the back of the shoulder.  He also explained to me that when the  breast is removed the surgeon likes to leave at least 7 inches around the chest wall for radiation treatment.  In my case, I only have 2 inches around the chest wall. 

I know this a lot to take in. 

My family and friends have been supportive through all this. 

I am trying to be positive.  To tell you the truth I AM SCARED because I don't know what the future holds for me.  

I am glad that I found this site.

Replies:
Posted By: trip2
Date Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 8:49pm
Hi Angel and welcome to our forum.

Listen my dear being scared comes with the package.  I'm so sorry you've been thru so much but how fortunate to have such a good doctor.  Sounds like you are in good hands.

When you have the time go to the TNBC News/Resouce section of the forum where there is a multitude of information on TNBC.

Research is important if you choose to do so.  This way we learn and are empowered to advocate for ourselves.

None of us know what the future holds for us but we've got to have hope.  They are working on ideas to treat TNBC all over the place now.  That wasn't the case a year ago so we are getting alot of attention in the medical/research field and this is good.

This forum is here to support and help in any way that we can so continue to ask your questions.
We are glad you found us too.

http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/LBBCtriplenegative08.pdf - http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/LBBCtriplenegative08.pdf

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/ask_expert/2008_07/index.jsp - http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/ask_expert/2008_07/index.jsp

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: unklezwifeonty
Date Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 9:30pm
Dear Angel,
Sad to hear of your stage IIIC diagnosis. But it sounds like you have an excellent medical team. As Pam says, we are here to help you thru' this journey. Whatever we can do, advise or answer, we will do.

-------------
Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Grade: High. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. Kicked from E5103 due to Taxol reaction. Now on AC->Abraxane. Zometa (S0307).

Posted By: Autumn10182001
Date Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 9:32pm
Hi Angel, 

Welcome, I don't have alot of advise, I was dx in April with TNBC Stage IIB or III (they are not sure), I had ER+ Stage I BC in 1999 (at age 39), and they took all my nodes then, so they can't stage me completely.   I will be having another PET/CT scan on Dec 14th..   I too am scared, most of the time,  I know the prognosis is not what I would like, but I am a survivor, ... and there is always HOPE.. to be cured with the treatments they have today and for science/researchers to find new treatments. 

I had a mastectomy in April,  4 AC treatments  (dose Dense) and 12 taxol weekly, I can't have radiation, as I had it on that side in 1999.  I am having the other breast removed next Wed. I have, (because I believe it will make a difference), completely changed my diet and started vitamins and supplements.

As Pam said, none of us know what the future holds... we can only do everything we can do to fight this disease.  I have a hard time with the "what ifs" and projection,  but I am trying to live in the here and now, and enjoy every minute...  I figure the more time I spend enjoying life, the stronger my immune system will be,  the more I laugh, the better I will be. 

You hang in there my friend,  as each of us must do...  we are here for you and will support you in any way we can.

-------------
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 9:41pm
Dear Angel,

I'm glad you found this site.  We're all hear to support you through your journey.  It sounds like you have a good doctor and team treating you.  We've all been scared at various times.  The fear is completely normal and is the hardest part for me to deal with personally.  Just know we're here for you whenever you need to talk or vent your fears and frustrations.

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Posted By: dmwolf
Date Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 11:27pm
Hi, Angel.  You sure have a lot on your plate, sweetie.  As everyone said, fear definitely comes with the territory.  We've all been there (and return there still).   We'll do our best to accompany you on the journey, and help you think through any options that might come up.  Just keep on putting one foot in front of the other, day by day.  You don't need to take on the whole future, only today, only this moment.  Are you sleeping?   If not, be sure to get a decent sleeping aid.    This stuff is hard enough to handle without sleep deprivation on top of it. 

Love,
Denise

-------------
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Posted By: Laura41
Date Posted: Nov 20 2009 at 5:49pm
Hello Angel,

Keep up with the good positive thinking. I am also a new member of this forum joined this month, scared great deal myself. I am 41, single parent of a 7 1/2 year old, having treatment in a different country than one I leave in because better chances than East Europe. My mom takes care of my son. I am having ACT treatment as you are, just after the third AC.

God protect you!

Laura
DX 10/09, age 41, IDC TNBC stage II, grade 3, 3.1cm, lymph node, having ACx4 plus Taxolx4 bi-weekly

Posted By: Carol (Tenn)
Date Posted: Nov 20 2009 at 9:04pm

Angel,

Welcome!!
You must keep up the positive thinking. Your attitude is so important with your fight to get rid of this disease.
I'm a 67 year old granny so I let the young people do the research and I take advantage of all their hard work.Wink  They are wonderful!!
If you feel in need of spiritual support we also have a forum for that.
God Bless You Dear Angel.
Love and Prayers,
Carol

-------------
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13

Posted By: jean m b
Date Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 4:02pm
HI - my situation sounds almost like yours and I'm hoping you can help guide me.  I started w/ chemo before surgery and have my last T next Tuesday.  My mind is whirling about the mastectomy - not so much the surgery but the emotional part of losing that part of my body.  Of course, getting rid of them is what must be done and makes sense blah blah blah but that's not my issue - it is handling it and things like that.

Posted By: Angel39
Date Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 6:13pm

Hi Jean,  For me not having one of my breast is not a real factor for me.  However, I do find that it bothers me when I cannot wear a low cut blouse or cannot wear a blouse that does not require a bra.  For the most part I try to keep a positive outlook about myself.  If I am feeling blue, I have several sisters, my mother and friends I can talk to.  The most important thing is to talk about what you are feeling.  Don't keep things bottled up inside.  A positive attitude will keep you going.

Will you be having Lymph nodes removed?    

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 7:14pm
Jean m b,

You are correct that there is the emotional side when considering a mastectomy.   I wish this dreaded disease didn't force us to make such decisions.  Besides the surgery and treatment, the emotional toll can be difficult also.  Please know that whatever decision you make, it will be the best decision at the time.

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 11:08pm
Hi -  thanks for getting back to me!  I have a lot of lymph node involvement.  The tumor there was 5 cm and it had also spread to behind my chest wall which makes those inoperable so I'll be doing radiation to the whole right quadrant of my torso, like you.  I hope to get to the point of having the double mastectomy not bother me.  I think I worry most about the effect it will have on my relationship with my husband.  He has been marvelous beyond belief.  He continually tells me that it is who I am that he married and not how I look.  Then he makes sure I don't think he thinks I'll look bad etc!  I seem to be more worried about the effect it will have on him seeing me as attractive than he does.  Did you ever worry about this?

Did you have reconstruction? My reconstruction will be 6 - 9 months after radiation. 

So, just a little info - I'm 46, been married 25 years come june and have 3 kids ages 21, 19 and 16.

Thanks again!

Date Posted: Feb 13 2010 at 11:44am
I'll be having all of my lymph nodes removed on the right side and have information on lymphodema.  I am having a double masectotmy.  This may be too personal, but are you married/in a serious relationship and if so are you feeling insecure about yourself with all the perfect bodies and highlighting of women's figures on TV and such?  I also feel bad for my husband of 25 years because I no longer will have my natural body.  I am doing reconstruction 9 months after my radiation but I don't feel like that will feel like a part of my body.  He tries to assure me that that is not what marriage and love is about but I just can't seem to shake these thoughts!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net