Forum Description: Archived Topics
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2159
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 4:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Large lump in upper shoulder blade
Posted By: Marly
Subject: Large lump in upper shoulder blade
Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 3:12am
I found a large lump (2"-3" round) last night on my upper shoulder blade.  It doesn't hurt and seems to have come from nowhere.  I may be over-reacting, but could this be cancer?  I am having a mastectomy tomorrow and will ask my surgeon, but wanted to throw this out there for any responses.  I have had 4 rounds of Cisplatin and 4 of Avastin prior to the surgery tomorrow.  My last Cisplatin was October 8.  Could having gone a month with no chemo let this happen????

Replies:
Posted By: txhart
Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 5:32am
Marly,
For sure, let them check it out. I found one too, and went on an unscheduled day (which made for a long day) but they biopsied it and said it was a lymph node that was fighting off infection. It was doing its thing, I suppose, but it had no cancer cells and gave me a great sense of relief. It's still there, but at least now I'm not worried about it. Definitely make sure your doctors are aware of it. We're usually the first ones to notice something different on our bodies. good job!
Keep up the great work on your treatment. Sounds like it's going great.
keep in touch.
Linda

-------------
Linda
age 48
Triple Negative Stage 2B
IDC 2.7
Diagnosed 7/24/08
12 rounds Paclitaxel
4 rounds FEC, surgery Feb 3, 6 wks of rad

Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 5:48am
Linda
I didn't know there were any lymph nodes around the shoulder blade?  This is just freaking me out--tomorrow can't come too soon!
Marly

Posted By: Jessie
Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 6:20am
Marly,
My CT scan results last week talked about a 7mm "left supraclavicular lymph node" that is being watched.  And I also have swelling in my shoulder close to my neck.  It's even somewhat tender --- possibly because I've been obsessing over it and mashing around on it.  Embarrassed  My readings on google about it were really quite scary.

Do call your surgeon today.  Tomorrow might be a handy time for them to biopsy that lymph node.  They need to know about it.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.  Please give us an update when you feel like it.

Many, many hugs,
Jessie

-------------
IDC,Stage I,Grade 3,dx 4/06
dbl mast 5/06,
systemic MRSA post surgery
septic shock, heart attack
triple bypass 1/07
no chemo due to infections and heart issues
so far NED!

Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 6:25am
I'll be speaking with  my oncology nurse at noon time and also going to see my primary care physician at 3:00pm today.

Posted By: trip2
Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 6:32am
Marly,

Let us know what you find out!

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: Nancy
Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 6:50am
Marly,

I like the others hope that your surgeon will look at this when you have your surgery. I have found a link which shows pictures of lymph nodes in our bodies. There are 500-700 nodes throughout the body.

Just click on the pictures to get a better look.

Nancy

http://www.nhlcyberfamily.org/nodes.htm - http://www.nhlcyberfamily.org/nodes.htm

-------------
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008

Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 12:24pm
I saw my primary care physician at 3:00 today and she thinks it is a lipoma which is a fatty, benign tumor.  She also called my surgeon and spoke with her nurse who also thinks it's a lipoma.  My surgeon will look at it tomorrow when I go in for the surgery.  Keeping my fingers crossed that's all it is.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes.  I will update you after my surgery.

Marly

Date Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 1:11pm
Marly,

Crossing my fingers also and will look for your post.
Hugs,
Nancy

-------------
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008

Date Posted: Nov 09 2008 at 4:59am
Hi all,
Had the mastectomy on Friday and came home yesterday.  My surgeon was very happy with how it all went.  She said she couldn't even find the tumor, the neo chemo had melted it away!  She did take some axillary nodes and I won't know the official pathology result for another 7-10 days.  She looked at it thinks the lump is just a lipoma.

It's weird to see that empty space where a breast used to be, but I'm glad it's gone.  Will be out of work for a month, then start the next course of chemo . . . not looking forward to it.

I don't have much pain, just some soreness in the armpit.  Got pain meds if it gets too bad.

Hugs,
Marly

Posted By: Lauriejn
Date Posted: Nov 09 2008 at 6:37am
Hi Marly.  I had a mastectomy on Friday also and came home Saturday.  Glad to read you are doing and feeling well.  Stay positive!

Laurie

-------------
Dx Oct2008- IDC Gr 3/Stage 3C
Mastectomy 11/7/08- 6/21 nodes
Bone Mets dx Dec 2008-Stage 4
Albany, NY BRCA neg

Date Posted: Nov 09 2008 at 12:20pm
Hi Marly, glad you are home and not in alot of pain.

Laurie I hope you are doing as well.

Rest and heal.Hug

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Nov 09 2008 at 1:16pm
Marly,

So glad to see you are home, and apparently doing well. Hoorah for the tumor just being melted awayClap It worked!!

Lori too was so relieved to get the tumor out (she had surgery first), and said she finally felt "clean". Just take it easy now...do not overdo, and since you are off work for a month, maybe we will hear from you more often....daily...?Wink Take a look at those "After Surgery Tips" from the gals, if you haven't already. They are on the last page of the forum...TNBC News, Resources & Tips".
Hugs,
Nancy

-------------
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008

Date Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 12:40pm
Thank you all for the well wishes. 

Laurie, I hope you are doing well after your surgery and that you will continue to do so.  I'm feeling OK, haven't needed the pain meds much, only have taken 2 so far.  I am using my Lorazepam daily, though.  And, I really HATE these drains, they are the most uncomfortable part of this right now.

Nancy, I'll take a look at the after surgery tips.

Pam, hope you are doing well.

Marly

Posted By: sberger
Date Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 10:09am
Hello Marly,

Someone suggested that I reply to another thread in order to make sure that I find you.

I'm live south of Boston and had the same treatment at the same hospital and very likely the same doctors.  We are very lucky indeed! 

Susan

Posted By: Lauriejn
Date Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 11:46am
Hi Marly.  How are things with you?

-------------
Dx Oct2008- IDC Gr 3/Stage 3C
Mastectomy 11/7/08- 6/21 nodes
Bone Mets dx Dec 2008-Stage 4
Albany, NY BRCA neg

Date Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 12:31pm
Howdy Marly, just doing great.  Hope you get those bulbs out soon!Hug

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 6:19am
Hi everyone,

I'm doing well after the mastectomy on November 7.  Had the drains removed this past Friday (thank goodness!!) and am doing my exercises as prescribed.  I got a call from my sugeon this morning.  The results on the nodes she removed (15-20) were all negative Smile.  As you can imagine, I was very relieved to hear this.  The tumor had shrunk from 3.2cm to 1.8cm, which is also good news.  It is very strange looking down at just one breast, but I can LIVE with(out) it!

I am waiting to hear about my follow-up appointment with my surgeon and oncologist and plan for the new schedule of chemo coming up the first or second week of December Unhappy

Susan, I'll send you a PM, maybe we can "chat" and compare notes. 

Hope you are all doing well and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Marly

Date Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 6:23am
Marly,

Congratulations on getting your drains out, doesn't that feel better. Smile
Also congrats on clean nodes, that is all great news girl!

Let us know what you find out about your chemo schedule and what you will be taking.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Date Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 6:31am
Hey Pam,

I will be on Adriamycin/Cytoxan/Avastom every 2 weeks for 4 rounds then Paclitaxel/Avastin every 2 weeks for 4 rounds.  After that will be radiation to my chest wall.

Not sure when I will start; it needs to be at least one month from surgery because of wound healing issues and Avastin.  I should find out this week or next.

Will let you know.

Marly

Date Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 6:32am
sorry that should be Avastin . . . can't type too well yet Smile

Date Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 9:10am
Thanks Marly, your typing is fine. Smile

Keep us posted dear.

-------------
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Posted By: queenbeetv
Date Posted: Mar 25 2016 at 4:44am
HI, I would encourage anyone reading this to get their genes mapped because other mutations like MTHFR (which causes folate deficiency and is also linked to breast cancer) and CBS mutations (which make the body unable to properly metabolize and excrete sulfur and phosphorus/phosphates) could contribute to this cancer or make it worse. 

At any rate, it is good for groups of people with an illness to get their genes mapped so they can see if there are any other genetic mutations that can affect health in either an adverse or beneficial manner.

Go to MTHFRsupport dot com, genetic genie dot com and Dr. Jockers webpage for people with CBS mutations like CBS 699.

Thanks for your time :)

PS: taking a good liquid magnesium chloride like Trace Minerals Research Mega Mag is important for everyone and especially important for anyone with any health issue, as stress severely depletes magnesium. Magnesium is involved in over 400 enzymatic reactions in the body, including keeping calcium in the bones, preventing atrial fibrillation, helping with insomnia and restless leg syndrome and promoting overall calmness. Magnesium also helps the body to better absorb the very important B complex vitamins. If one is deficient in magnesium, one will not absorb one's vitamins and nutrients very well.

Watch Dr. Carolyn Dean on youtube. She wrote The Magnesium Miracle. And another good book is The Calcium Lie: What Your Doctor Doesn't Know Could Kill You by Dr. Robert Thompson, and Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, by neurologist Dr. Russell L. Blaylock. Magnesium calms the system down by lowering the electrical firing of the cells and Calcium riles up the system by raising the electrical firing of the cells, so calcium supplementation and vitamin D supplementation might not be such a good thing when your system is already riled up. (Vitamin D makes your body absorb more calcium and phosphorus) And sometimes, your blood levels of Vitamin D will be low because of this. 

The kidneys regulate the amount of vitamin D in the blood and if the body's soft tissue cells are being threatened with soft tissue calcification(too much calcium in the soft tissue/non bone cells), the kidneys will know this and purposely excrete excess calcium and vitamin D out of the system to keep the body from absorbing more calcium and phosphorus until the calcium overloaded soft tissue cells have been able to clear out the excess calcium and phosphorus. Some doctors don't take into consideration that maybe the kidneys know what they are doing and the answer to low vitamin D in the blood is actually not to supplement D and calcium, but to supplement magnesium and avoid calcium and vitamin D.

So, without magnesium, the calcium and phosphorus your body absorbs will not go into the bones, but will go into the soft tissue cells of the body "Soft Tissue Calcification" and could cause problems. One of the most notable is fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue /// joint and muscle pain and weakness//// which is too much calcium in the soft tissue/ non bone cells. Magnesium helps keep the majority of calcium where it should be, and that is in your bones, not your vital organs or joints or muscle or fat tissue where calcifications in those areas could also lead to cancer.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net