Taxol side effects + Carboplatin?

Printed From: TNBC Foundation
Category: TNBC Forums
Forum Name: Let's Talk About Chemotherapy
Forum Description: A place to discuss Chemotherapy
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=13332
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 9:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Taxol side effects + Carboplatin?
Posted By: Warriorkat
Subject: Taxol side effects + Carboplatin?
Date Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 4:48pm
Started Taxol after AC: one of 12. I’ve had odd transient joint pain, peeling skin on my thumbs and really no appetite. Anybody else experience this? I’ll go back Tuesday for round 2. Still no energy but this might be lingering from the AC and low hemoglobin levels. Feeling a bit sorry for myself today so could use some encouragement! Also how many also had Carboplatin and what are it’s effects?! Thanks 🙏

Replies:
Posted By: Jan43
Date Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 7:37pm
Does everyone get the same mix of drugs ACT or is there another combination being used. I'm being pressured to go to a large city center to get a second opinion. I really don't want to be treated away from home.  I've been clinically staged at 1a grade 3. Lumpectomy, Chemo and radiation recommended. From looking at this site it seems to me that all treatment is fairly the same other than surgery first or after chemo.

Posted By: Lisa s
Date Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 9:17pm
It seems like act is the norm with stuff sometimes added in. I had act only

Date Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 9:48am
Thanks, That's what I'm thinking so I see no point in going to a large city to receive treatment.

Posted By: Kellyless
Date Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 10:54am
I had joint pain with Taxol both times, I resorted to pain pills when it got bad and they worked. Definitely talk to your doctor. Don't hesitate to call when you have issues - You don't have to wait for your next treatment. I also went on antidepressants about this same time in treatment where you are. Feeling "blue", sad and such is common after what you've been thru! They really helped me get thru to the end without being so miserable.
Getting a second opinion never means you need to get treatment where your second opinion doctor is! I'm in Dallas, my second opinion doc is at MD Anderson in Houston 4+ hours away. He knew I was there for a second opinion and had no problem with it. And it DID change my treatment plan a bit. He and my local Dr. Communicated about me throughout my care - it was great! I went back to MDA for a surgical 2nd opinion. It didn't change what I did that time but I don't regret it one bit! I firmly believe _everyone_ with cancer needs a second opinion, you never know what a fresh pair of eyes might see regarding your case, or what new strategy they may have to tweak your plan. It saves lives!

-------------
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Date Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 11:02am
PS: I've been hanging around here for 9+ years and I have NEVER heard anyone regret a second opinion. Quite the opposite, it's been life changing for so many - and at least comforting for others. I've also seen it end up being helpful later in treatment, ie: something changes during treatment, the second opinion Dr. is then able to weigh in with opinions by phone because you've seen them already - once you've seen a Dr. You are an existing patient forever - you've added that Dr and hospital to your team, and they're ready and able to assist if the need arises. It's like adding more ammo to your arsenal as you head into a war :-)

-------------
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 8:26am
Warriorkat,

Check out this thread about the benefits of adding Carboplatin.

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/adding-carboplatin-increases-pcr_topic11688.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/adding-carboplatin-increases-pcr_topic11688.html

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 12:40pm
Hi All, thanks for all of the advice. Since my surgery date isn't until May 8, I'm headed for Second Opinion at Seattle Care Alliance.  They have docs who have a bit more experience and may affect the chemo recipe.  Going to include a little vacation. I love riding the Seattle Ferries.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 1:03pm
spring in Seattle sounds awesome! I love browsing pike place, eating chowder. Cocktails at sunset stop the needle I need a vaca, I'm all jelly about y'alls trips!

-------------

Date Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 7:59pm
Just returned from Fred Hutch Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. Met with surgeon, oncologist, and radiation oncologist. All three had expertise in TNBC. They all agreed with the treatment plan my hometown (Bend, OR.) physicians had recommended. There were a few tweaks, but nothing major.
Thank you all for your encouragement to get a second opinion. I feel more confident about the process now. 
Jan

Posted By: MamaT
Date Posted: Apr 29 2018 at 1:57pm
Warriorkat I am currently doing weekly Taxol with Carboplatin, have had 5 of 12 treatments and my side effects are similar. Bone and muscle transient pain, fatigue and poor appetite. Nothing compared to dose dense AC, but the effects have been cumulative.

Date Posted: May 01 2018 at 9:26am
Thanks MamaT. I’m here for my 5th Taxol and two days ago started feeling decreased sensation in my great toes and thumbs; the neuropathy I suppose. And my white counts were low but they are going to go ahead with infusion. I’m a bit frustrated as I thought I was doing well. I just felt I was going to sail through this one. I am icing during infusion. Any other advice to counter act neuropathy? Also doing bone broth and Astragalus tea. Any other ways to up my WBC?

-------------
Gratefully,
Kat

Date Posted: May 01 2018 at 10:58am
Are you doing real ice baths - dunking your gloved hands and feet in ice water versus ice packs? Ice packs did not work for me, only full ice baths.
For the stomach issues/appetite problems weed by far worked the best. Edibles from legal weed stores in Colorado supplied by a family member were a godsend. My doctors were not surprised and did not disagree. Switching from Zofran to Emend helped as well.
Are you taking Neulasta shots? If not I'd start now, before you have treatment delays.

-------------

Posted By: Asovey
Date Posted: May 01 2018 at 11:59am
By all means get the second opinion! I saw Dr Traina at Slone-Kettering for a second opinion. She changed my treatment plan a bit but also suggested some other testing, clinical trials, etc. I do think what she did/said is life changing for me. My oncologist locally was more than willing to follow her recommendations. Mi go back for a follow up in late June. She made all the difference for me emotionally. Knowing she was on my team is so comforting.

I am getting ready to have my 9th Taxol treatment on Friday and this one will also include my last Carboplatin treatment. Carboplatin is every third time. So far I have not had many side effects other than fatigue. Just recently have had some very mild tingling in my hands. I am using the chill booties and mittens. I consider myself lucky as far as side effects are concerned. Not much of an appetite, but,no,nausea either.

You have every right to feel sorry for yourself. We all do at times! If it continues or gets worse, talk to your doctor about a low dose antidepressant.

Hang in there but please get the second opinion! It will be invaluable!

Date Posted: May 01 2018 at 12:45pm
I feel very comfortable with my oncologist and we are at a University Hospital which is a ranked cancer center. I’m mostly very fortunate as I’ve had no nausea at all and can eat - just don’t want to- no appetite. Magnesium has helped the constipation much better than the stool softener/laxatives did and I’m mostly regular now. Yea! Just concerned about the beginnings of neuropathy but it’s very subtle so far. I’m icing via bags of ice that become ice water. I pack my foot between 2 bags and dunk my fingers into the ice bags...1-2 min on/off.

If WBC is still where it is she may decrease the dose or if it falls skip a week. I’ll be more diligent about the dietary support and just go from there. It is an adventure for sure... and a lesson in just letting go of those things I can’t control.

-------------
Gratefully,
Kat

Posted By: Margy
Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 4:15pm
You are not alone. My first of 12 Taxols is Tuesday. You may want to use your low appetite to your advantage. On my second dose of AC, after reading a bunch of research, I fasted for 48 hrs+ prior to chemo & 35 hrs+ after (half life of AC). For me fasting was easy & it lessen side effects. --Keep water in your belly at all times.-- Supposedly fasting makes the cancer cells take up more of the chemo & makes the non-cancer cells take up less chemo. I plan on fasting with my Taxol Tx too. On the plus side Taxol has a shorter halflife (12 or 15 hr, I do not have my notes with me). To help with my low hemoglobin level I am eating foods high in B6, B12 (string beans) folate. Since B12 seems to be hard to find I did start to take a B6 & B12 supplement.
You may want to try reading The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen ( author Rebecca Katz)for help with side effects and your appetite.
It is okay to feel sorry for yourself. Try not to stay there too long. You may want to read Crazy Sexy Cancer (author Kris Carr) for help with this. Tell people that you need to connect. They will be honored that you reached out to them. Be direct & specific.

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 4:59pm
Thanks Margy! I am fasting 24hrs prior and 6 hours after with the Taxol. It’s weekly and my appetite returns around day 5 so I don’t do 48 hours or I would never enjoy a meal! I do have the Cancer-Fighting Kitchen and enjoy the advice. I tend to get excited about a recipe and then either never make it or make it and only eat a bit. I think it will be easier after chemo to enjoy cooking again. I’m adapting but I’m trying to avoid foods that aren’t healthful and it’s been difficult to not eat bread and cheeses 😜 It’s difficult because a big part of our social life with family and friends was enjoying dinner out on the weekends and now that’s just not happening. I’m just reminding myself that it’s all temporary, that chemo won’t last forever and my appetite will come back

-------------
Gratefully,
Kat

Posted By: Urdrago
Date Posted: May 13 2018 at 9:04pm
Hi Margo, I’m curious how did ur taxol treatment go? I have my last AC on the 17th and then will have a 14 day break to return on taxol. I’m new to this website. I’ve been posting on Breastcancer. Org. Not allot of TNBC there.

Posted By: Judy15ws
Date Posted: Jun 07 2018 at 10:25am
Hi everyone. I really need to repeat how very much I love this forum and the caring and wisdom of members, especially after I peeked at other forums about my question below.
I am 72, and in late February 2018 was dx with stage 1a IDC by pure luck - keeping my mammography appointment even though I was totally cocky about my "low risk factors", surely a lesson in "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Lumpectomy March 25, 2018, and started adj chemo Taxol-Carbo May 9, 2018, with treatment plan of once a week for 12 weeks because of my age. 
After my 3rd treatment, a rash appeared on my forearms. There was a bit of itching, nothing dramatic, but the rash was impressive. When I reported for my 4th treatment, I showed the rash to the doctor, who sent me to a dermatologist working with oncology patients. She put me on antihistamines morning and night, and a steroid cream where I had rash. By the 5th treatment (yesterday), although the rash had spread a bit to other areas of my body (but only single red dots), my forearms had improved significantly with the cream, so I was told to reduce the cream from morning and night to every other night only. 
However, after the 5th treatment, I noticed that I have occasional hand tremor. A few years ago, I had leg tremors (I have osteoarthritis, badly compromised spine, 10 disc herniations, 3 failed lumbar surgeries, cord compression at C5-6, osteophytes everywhere), and my FP gave me magnesium pills, and they stopped. More recently, I started to have a bit of hand tremors, which a neurologist called "senile tremor" Disapprove. But they seemed to stop on their own. Since taxol seems associated with many side effects and complications, I started thinking that perhaps the reappearance of my hand tremor is one, but googling was not very helpful. 
So I'm asking the ladies here if they have experienced, or heard of anyone experiencing hand tremor with taxol-carbo by the 4th or 5th treatment.
Thanks in advance.
By the way, apropos of nothing in particular, I am from Israel. Hug

Date Posted: Jun 07 2018 at 11:13am
Hi Judy,
I’m not aware of tremors being a direct side effect however treatment can cause magnesium deficiency. Do your labs indicate this? Also Taxol can cause neuropathy. For me, after 10 of 12 infusions this is presenting as numbness in my fingertips and toes. As a physiotherapist myself I’m wondering if your tremors might be due to a neurological effect of Taxol. Just my guesses.

I know different oncologists have differing opinions on supplements during chemo but a friend (a survivor and oncology nurse herself) recommended glutamine to protect against neuropathy; which is a component in a powder Im using that also contains B vitamins that can protect the nervous system. Just a few things for you to ask about.
Hang in there!
Kat

-------------
Gratefully,
Kat

Date Posted: Jun 07 2018 at 11:33am
Welcome Judy - so sorry you've a reason to be here. I did your same treatment for a recurrence of TNBC last year. I did not have the tremors you described, but did have a SLEW of side effects! Every single person has a different reaction to chemo. When it's not a "typical" problem I found that the doctors start looking for outside reasons, ie: something other than the chemo. From going thru this twice myself, and hanging around here for 9 years, I firmly believe in Go With the Cancer Patients Gut- it's more often than not correct! I'm not a big believer in "coincidence", especially when you are getting IV poison once a week. My point being, of course these problems are from chemo. The majority of the time these bizarre side effects go away quickly when chemo ends. The exception to that is if the chemo is some how damaging a body part irreparably. Like Taxol induced neuropathy, sometimes it does permanent damage to the nerves causing lasting neuropathy. I quickly, as in after dose 1, developed a very hoarse raspy voice. it sounded awful, yet felt to me 100% normal - no pain, no sore throat, no cough just a loss of my voice. The doctors were sure I had some throat infection, sent me to an ENT for a (very annoying) scope. I dug deep into the internet and found a rare side effect of any chemo with high dose steroids - Dysphonia. It's a partial paralysis of the vocal cords. Most always temporary and leaves quickly when treatment stops. I had digestive issues From Hell, even ended up hospitalized where they decided I must have an infection and wanted to put me on high dose IV antibiotics. I just KNEW it was chemo!! The antibiotics came with side effects that mirrored the awful symptoms I already had. I figured they'd only make me sicker so I refused. I wish you could hear my husband's rendition of the round and round and round argument I had with the lil wet behind the ears intern on duty that tried to talk me into the antibiotics, LOL. I finally said, "SWEETY! I literally have way more experience with chemo and cancer than you do! I bet $1000 you are not going to be an oncologist, you are just doing your required round here on the Cancer floor?" he was, he wants to be a cardiologist. I wore him down, got him to focus on treatment other than antibiotics... He's the one that came up with the practical formula for constipation that I've posted here before, which turned my situation around for the rest of treatment (that and legal edible weed from Colorado).
So that's my long drawn out pep talk to say, Judy, go with your gut! "Senile tremors" be damned, of course it's your chemo. The question is, are these chemo induced issues tolerable? Is there any treatment available to lessen them if they're from chemo? And if they're from chemo, are they temporary?? Stand your ground, look em in the eye and say these ARE chemo side effects, you'd appreciate them giving you the answers to my above questions assuming they are chemo side effects, please. If they ignore that say, "I'm not just a little old senile lady, I am a smart, experienced, mature person that has dealt with a large number of health issues in this body that you are treating. I know THIS body, so I'd appreciate you respecting that I am the expert professional user of this body and you need to hear me!" That was essentially the argument I used that got thru to the Dr. In the hospital - try it, it'll give them pause I promise.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net