Print Page | Close Window

Distant Recurrence in Brain

Printed From: TNBC Foundation
Category: TNBC Forums
Forum Name: TNBC Metastasis/Recurrence Users
Forum Description: A place to discuss metastatic disease
Printed Date: May 21 2018 at 3:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.05 -

Topic: Distant Recurrence in Brain
Posted By: parrynd1
Subject: Distant Recurrence in Brain
Date Posted: Mar 31 2018 at 5:37am
Hello TNBC community,

Just found out I have a small lesion w/swelling in the center of my brain and wanted to hear anyone elseís similar experience. Doctor put me on Dexemethasone to help with the swelling. I meet with a Neurologist this coming week to go over the next steps - whatever those are. Iím scared after seeing all the statistics and information out there regarding distant recurrence in the brain (or really anywhere). I donít know how to comfort my fiancť or family so if anyone has advice from maybe that side as well I would appreciate it. Before anyone gets upset about this part Iíve always been the strong one. I handle things well and my fiancť and family (his family but they are like blood to me) get very upset. If I have a slight cold he will wake up all night with panic attacks (he has been working on this ptsd from the first experience), his mom will call and check up everyday for just the sniffles and Ďthreatení to drive the 4-5hrs to make sure Iím ok, so you can imagine how devastating this news is and it helps me cope by being able to help the people I love. I just canít seem to find the good this time even just for myself let lone those around me except for the fact that I do have these amazing people. I also canít help but think how much Iím hurting them with this even though I had no control over it.

A little background info:
In 2016 I was diagnosed with stage IIIa (3a for short) TNBC when I was 27 and was approved for a study where I did 3 months of chemo - responded well with one tumor disappearing, lymph nodes normalizing, and main tumor shrinking from 4.5cm to 2.5, then did another 3 months of AC - didnít respond well as rumor only shrunk .5cm, surgery, lymph nodes came back positive so went on to do another 3 months of Taxol/weekly Carboplatin, then 30 something radiation treatments which I just finished the week before Thanksgiving 2017. Iíve been having headaches for 2 weeks so I talked to my doctor who ordered an MRI, after waiting on insurance approval and the schedule to get in for the MRI itís been about 2 months. Iíve also been feeling nauseous frequently, very tired no matter how much sleep I get, and my favorite is my lower left eyelid twitches several times a day. Iím also worried about some Ďscar tissueí in the problem child breast, but havenít been approved for imaging yet for that.

If anyone out there has gone or is going through this what were the next steps after discovery? What treatment options did you have? Prognosis? How are you coping?

Iím one quarter away, just 11 weeks, from finishing my thesis and getting my bachelors degree (something only me and soon my older brother will have achieved in our blood related family) and with high honors to boot...Iím hoping this is something that I might be able to handle while in school for, but donít know anything about this surgery or recovery times or how they begin to treat it other than radiation. I left school for the first treatment, but Iím worried if I leave school this time I may miss out on being able to finish. Any information would help me grasp this situation and be better prepared for whatever the doctors say next week and beyond.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading through it.

Thanks for your help in advance and good luck, good thoughts and prayers to everyone else out there

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Mar 31 2018 at 11:51am

I'm so sorry to hear about this new development.  There are usually two types of treatment - stereotactic radiotherapy (cyberknife) and whole brain radiation.  With just one small spot, you should be a candidate for the stereotactic procedure.

How do you decide if a patient should receive whole brain radiation?

The decision to recommend whole brain radiation therapy as opposed to stereotactic radiotherapy is really based on the number of lesions and size of lesions the brain. Traditionally and based on the studies in this field, 1 to 3 lesions are more appropriate for a stereotactic radio surgery approach and the line in the sand from a size criteria is a lesion that is less than 3 centimeters." rel="nofollow -" rel="nofollow -

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Posted By: Kellyless
Date Posted: Apr 01 2018 at 1:36pm
I don't know the answers about treatment for your mets, but I'm quite familiar with panic stricken in-laws. My mother in law especially, and my husband's two sisters get so distressed it stresses ME out. But worse is the stress it puts on my amazing husband. Thru my first trip through TNBC treatment I bent over backwards to downplay everything when around them, as well as friends that reacted like they did. I always wore a wig (hate them!), Didn't speak about how sick I was from chemo, etc. With my recurrence I just..... Let it go. I realized it was a burden I didn't need. I've always believed that honesty is the best policy in all things, so I needed to be honest with my disease and treatment and trust that it would be the best thing for everyone in the long term. And it was. The immediate panicked distress did improve as time - and my treatment process - wore on. We spent more time with them because being with them wasn't a burden of worrying about what we say, or how we say it. My cancer buddy - a friend that was diagnosed at the same time as me both times - Did The same thing with his family. We're both grateful that changing our way of thinking and communicating with our whole friends and family group ended up making our journey thru treatment better for everyone. I
I'm so sorry you are going thru this! I do hope you will get a second opinion on any treatment you choose to do. If you need suggestions for doctors that might be good for a second opinion let us know - lots of folks here have seen excellent specialists all over the country. My last bit of advice is this: when you need something and your insurance company is dragging their feet on approval - hound them mercilessly! Call every day, ask for supervisors, be relentless, keep them on the phone endlessly - I've found over and over that the squeaky wheel does get the grease! I write down every call, who Im talking to - play the cancer card, tell every one what you are going thru and how young you are! Its time consuming and no fun but I swear it can work. Often times time is of the essence with TNBC, Dont accept delays from the evil insurers!
Let us know how its going, we will all be thinking of you, Kelly

IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Posted By: parrynd1
Date Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 10:47am
We met with the neurologist yesterday and found out that the tumor is thankfully not grown into any of the brain tissue, but is a part of a major blood vessel where itís located. All my doctors are saying craniotomy 2 weeks from now as they want it removed right away (as do we) and targeted radiation afterwards...which Iíll take over while brain radiation!

Thank you for finding the articles you posted :)

Dx TN IDC 9/016 Age 28, Stage 3c, Grade 3, 4.5cm, .7cm, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, 6/6 I-Spy 2, 4/4 rounds DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/reduction, 3 nodes removed, weekly Taxol/Carb1/12

Posted By: parrynd1
Date Posted: May 07 2018 at 5:53pm
Just wanted to update in case anyone else is facing a similar situation.

Surgery went great and the mass was completely removed! The doctor was worried about getting all of it since it was attached to a major blood vessel. Bad news - it is a confirmed tnbc recurrence and a CT scan showed a few spots in my lungs that are too small to biopsy. We have another CT scan scheduled to see if they are from me having the flu a few weeks before the first scan or if these nodes have changed at all.

As far as treatment I am scheduled for SRS (focused radiation at site of tumor) to clean up any cells left and brain scans every 3 months. Depending on the lung nodes chemo may also need to be done.

One cool thing is that they are sending my tumor to have expanded genetic testing done to see what treatments will work best against it. This isnít gene testing for the stuff I was born with, but specific to this tumor and itís genetic makeup. My oncologist said it covers a few hundred different aspects of the tumor on top of a previous panel we did that tested around 50 as part of a clinical trial. For us in the TNBC community arming yourself with as much knowledge about your specific situation is key to gaining control and beating this cancer. I did dose dense Neoadjuvant chemo and didnít have a good response so after surgery I completed a taxol/carboplatin plan for anyone curious.

On a random note brain surgery really wasnít so bad. The incision never really hurt, but I did have headaches and shooting pain if I didnít rest my eyes enough (tumor was by the vision part of my brain which has affected that part of recovery). I was only in the hospital 3 days and didnít feel like I needed the strong pain meds after day 3 of being home so I just took Tylenol. Also take it is brain surgery even if it feels like it wasnít as bad as you thought.

Prayers and positivity for everyone out there!

Dx TN IDC 9/016 Age 28, Stage 3c, Grade 3, 4.5cm, .7cm, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, 6/6 I-Spy 2, 4/4 rounds DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/reduction, 3 nodes removed, weekly Taxol/Carb1/12

Posted By: katie420
Date Posted: May 13 2018 at 12:06pm
hi parynd hoping and praying for you as i m going through the same thing as you are going.Sending big hugs.

Posted By: parrynd1
Date Posted: May 13 2018 at 3:07pm
Katie, thank you I will also send some your way...every bit helps.

Dx TN IDC 9/016 Age 28, Stage 3c, Grade 3, 4.5cm, .7cm, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, 6/6 I-Spy 2, 4/4 rounds DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/reduction, 3 nodes removed, weekly Taxol/Carb1/12

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.05 -
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. -