Print Page | Close Window

So.....how do docs follow up after treatment?

Printed From: TNBC Foundation
Category: TNBC Forums
Forum Name: TNBC Talk
Forum Description: A place to chat
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=13261
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 3:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: So.....how do docs follow up after treatment?
Posted By: Asovey
Subject: So.....how do docs follow up after treatment?
Date Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 11:16am
I know this is a bit premature seeing as I just had my first chemo, but what is follow up after treatment is done?  With the re-occurrence rate higher, do we usually get PET scans, MRI's, etc?  Just wondering.

Ann

Replies:
Posted By: gordon15
Date Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 5:17pm
I think it's not good to think about what happens later, it's best to trust your doctors.

Later is very complicated, it has so many complicated information and decisions, it's really not good to focus on "later"  this is my opinion, as a husband.

My two cents

-------------
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017

Date Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 5:21pm
Not focusing, just wondering

Posted By: gordon15
Date Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 6:08pm
Sorry for my bad choice of words....

-------------
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:08pm
Ann,

You can ask your onc about their follow up plans.  I can tell you most onc will not do scans unless you present with symptoms.  They usually will follow up with a physical exam, blood work.  Some will order tumor markers, but others don't believe in them.  There are a few oncs (rare) who will order a scan for their TN patients.  

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 9:26am
No problem. I knew what you meant and in some ways I agree. I was just wondering how follow up goes.

Date Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 9:27am
That seems a bit crazy to me. We put all the time, energy and money into treatment and then.........   Hmmmm...

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 11:17pm
Ann,

You got it!  Crazy, huh?  Most oncs don't believe that it makes any difference if they catch a recurrence sooner (before symptoms appear), so per guidelines, routine scans are not usually recommended unless a patient presents with a symptom.  I happen to disagree with this position, but it's a personal matter with me.  You see my onc would scan her TNBC patients once a year for the first three years.  At my first scan, we found my recurrence to the internal mammary nodes (regional recurrence/stage 3).  If I had waited until I had symptoms or blood tests showed something was up, I'm sure it would have progressed much further and my prognosis would have been poor.  

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Posted By: Penny
Date Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 6:49pm
Hi Ann,

I have just had my six month check up with both my MO and RO yesterday!  My MO reviewed how I was doing and asked a few key questions.  She also does not do scans as routine and does not draw markers on early stage TN.  My follow up with her is in four months and she ordered a standard chem panel and CBC.  My RO saw me next (same day appointments) and said all looks good.  Reviewed my mammogram results from November 2017 and said he will see me in one year after my November 2018 mammogram.  He also said I should call and contact him should I feel "off" but agreed no scans or markers needed.  His parting words, I should "be calm and carry on".  My medical oncologist said "you did all the right things at the right time without delay and your outcome is the best possible scenario".  She said, the hardest thing is really the worry.  So, I will BE CALM and CARRY ON!

Hope that helps, Penny  

-------------
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 12:36pm
Thanks Penny! I think staying calm and not worrying will be the hardest. It seems during treatment we are checked and double checked. Then, it is like we are on our own. If this crap comes back I want to know right away!

Ann

Date Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 12:39pm
I agree Donna! I am going to scream for scans for at least the first couple years after treatment! It just makes sense. I wonder what Dr Traina thinks?

Posted By: MarySop
Date Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Asovey Asovey wrote:

I agree Donna! I am going to https://www.sfgate.com/market/article/zotrim-review-16535837.php" rel="nofollow - give Zotrim a shot for at least the first couple years after treatment! It just makes sense. I wonder what Dr Traina thinks?

As you should, Ann. I'd want to go for as many scans are possible in that period of time. Luckily my doctor agrees with this way of thinking.

Date Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 10:39am
I am going to ask my MO the next time I see him. Just ,Ames s nose to me!

Ann

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net