Forum Description: A place to discuss Chemotherapy
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=13258
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 2:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Granix?
Posted By: Asovey
Subject: Granix?
Date Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 5:36pm
My MO wanted me to come back to the hospital the day after chemo for a Nulasta shot.  He does not like the Nulasta OnPro.  I asked if there were any other options so I did not have to come back.  He ordered Granix which is like Nulasta.  I give myself three shots.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this?

Ann

Replies:
Posted By: Kellyless
Date Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 5:54pm
It's Neupogen, what they did before Neulasta, and continued to do when insurance wouldn't pay the insane cost of Neulasta. I believe it does the same thing as Neulasta, but 3 shots? What's his objection to the OnPro? I had a friend's fall off overnight once, other than that he had no complaints.

-------------
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Date Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 6:02pm
Is your hospital far from your home? Ask if you could get an order for a Neulasta shot from a facility closer to you? I could've easily driven myself for the Neulasta shots the day after chemo (15 minute drive) but my husband wouldn't hear of it. It was usually 10 minutes out of my car to dash up, get the shot and back in the car. NBD. I did have icky bone pain, but pain meds worked.

-------------
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!

Date Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 6:17pm
My MO said he has had many times when the injector did not work properly and so you did not get the full dose.  I want to get the full effect to keep up my WBC, so I wont argue with him.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 6:20pm
It is three shots over 3 days.  I am still working with the CVS specialty pharmacy to be sure I have it by Saturday.  So, I might end up having to go back for the Nulasta shot for this time.  I just know I am stocking up on Claritian!

Date Posted: Jan 03 2018 at 6:25pm
The main hospital is Sparrow Hospital and it is in Lansing Michigan.  The Cancer Center is a separate brand new facility, but is under the Sparrow umbrella.  It is about 20 miles from me.  Our local hospital is affiliated with Sparrow, but loosely.  I can get my blood work there.  This will be a fine solution once we get things going. 

Posted By: gordon15
Date Posted: Jan 04 2018 at 7:16pm
I'm not familiar with " Granix". In 2008, my wife gave herself Neupogen shots in the abdomen each day, it's not fun, it's doable, but very stressful, the Neupogen is MASSIVELY cheaper for insurance, than Neulasta, and it works as effectively, , a Neupogen shot can cost $140.00, , a Neulasta can cost $1400.00, so  it's about 10 times the cost.(approximate, that was in 2008-9)

That's because Neulasta is a "time-release" where it's a stronger dose, but they
engineered it  to release slowly, and not shock your system, to boost white blood cell counts.

My wife had the arm-pod Neulasta "OnPro" a couple times, there is NO problem with the injector, that is, in my opinion "BS" because  it works fabulously. This may be an issue of cost. She never had a problem with the injector, it's very simple tiny prick, she didn't feel.

If you can have a nurse inject the Neupogen for you, that would be preferable if you have stress over that, and if it can be done in your home, there are nurse-services that we have used to come to our home, that is something I still may need today for my wife if needed.

-------------
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017

Date Posted: Jan 04 2018 at 7:39pm
The thought of not getting the full dose would freak me out as well. A 40 mile each way drive in Winter, the day after chemo day is also unappealing! You might ask around your friends and family and see if anyone has shot experience and wouldn't mind doing the Neupogen for you. I've worked in animal care and have given all kinds of shots - I'd be happy to do the shots for you if you were here :) I just find it way easier to give a shot to someone else than myself. That might help with the stress Gordon speaks of. If you have a friend or family member thats done fertility treatment they've probably given themselves hormone shots. Or a diabetic, or someone with a diabetic pet. Professional pet sitters often give shots and fluids to animals.... (brainstorming here, lol)
Smart to check with your pharmacy! I ended up on Emend this last go round. Three pills after each chemo ($800!!!) Insurance would only pay for one 3 pill pack each time - and I did chemo weekly - the pharmacy had to special order it EVERY time, so I had to stay on it EVERY week. Do Not Hesitate to call back your pharmacy to make sure they ordered it every time.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2018 at 8:08pm
Wow! I never knew the Nulasta was that expensive. Giving myself the shots will not be an issue for me. I can always have my husband do it. Just want to get it going!

Date Posted: Jan 04 2018 at 8:11pm
Yes, the drive would be the pits! I have no problem giving myself the shot. And I got a big bottle of Claritian to help with the bone and joint pain

Date Posted: Jan 04 2018 at 8:18pm
I think the needle part of the surringe is about 1/2 inch, I helped her (verbally) inject herself, it's that long because there's lots of fat (for most of us) it's one inch anywhere around the belly-button...there, it's tiny needle, if I had to do it today for myself, I would, and it's easier after first shot.
I think she used alcohol wipes, but maybe they have numbing wipes too now.

-------------
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16

Date Posted: Jan 06 2018 at 2:05am
Back in 2009 the Neulasta shots were over $2000 a shot which is nuts. Those shots were not painful for me, I had 8. I had a tetanus shot recently and that was way more painful.

-------------

Posted By: Tamara
Date Posted: Jan 06 2018 at 5:06pm
I live 1 hour away from medical facility. Was able to transport neulasta home in a cooler then placed it in the fridge until following morning when a nurse (family friend) came to the house to give injection. You could inquire about that type of arrangement. My last chemo was in October 2014. Was achy, sore and tired but am thankful those were mild side effects.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2018 at 7:05pm
Tamara, that's the only thing I remember about the shots being "different", they were kept refridgerated. Keeping in an ice chest for the ride home would absolutely take care of that issue. I'd bet the reason they aren't offering to send them home usually is that they are SO expensive, they fear you'd mess one up. It is pretty easy to mess up a syringe, and if it's worth over $1000 that's a big deal. Man this cancer treatment Bulls#%@ is complicated at every turn, we should all get medals for just navigating the complicated, life threatening daily ordeal it is to accomplish it. Seriously. Yay us for surviving treatment! And cancer, yay for getting thru that, too... But the chemo,radiation,surgeries,complications, Insurance companies from Hell, etc. etc. OY it seems a miracle we get thru it! But we do, which makes every survivor a very strong bada$$ warrior for sure. ROAR, I'm a cancer _treatment_ survivor, a Certified Warrior. Much like a Navy Seal, really.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 07 2018 at 10:00pm
"Insurance companies from Hell,  I'm.........a Certified Warrior "...

Us too... (not lol)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net