Forum Description: A place to discuss metastatic disease
URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=11317
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 5:10am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Doxil
Posted By: Kitkat
Subject: Doxil
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 9:24pm
I start on Doxil next Friday. Xeloda stopped working!   Was wondering who else had this drug? When I looked it up, it is mainly for multimyloma and ovarian cancer. I have read that we respond better to chemo for ovarian so......just wondering HOW BAD this chemo is??   It shows heart damage, nausea.....really scared!!!!!!   Thanks for your help

Stage 4, mets to lungs

-------------
Dx 6-10 stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm tumor w microvascular invasion, CTx4. 25 rads w 7 boost. 1-13 stage 4 w 4-1 cm tumors to lungs. Xeloda 1500x 2 a day, ct scan 3-29, 50% shrinkage! Hopin and praying

Replies:
Posted By: Mattie
Date Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 11:43pm
Hi Kitkat, I had two rounds of of Doxil. Unfortunately, I had progression while on it. Hopefully, it will work for you. Now, as for side effects...it was a breeze. I had treatment on Thursday and on Saturday morning I was doing a bootcamp class. I felt a little fatigued the day of treatment and the next day but nothing too bad. It was just one bag, no steroids before. Treatment time was an hour and I was out.
Best of luck to you.

-------------
DX 2/12 IDC,StageIIIA, T2, N2a, M0. T/C 6 rounds 5/12-9/12, Local recurrence 10/12. Rads 40-10/12-12/12. Doxil 1/13-2/13. Recur Hilar Nodes 4/12. Carbo/Gemzar to begin 4/28/2013

Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 10:45am
Oh wow!   I had antinausea bag, steroid bag and 2 1/2 hours drop bag of 40mls of Doxil. Did if make your hair fall out?   And what are you on now??

-------------
Dx 6-10 stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm tumor w microvascular invasion, CTx4. 25 rads w 7 boost. 1-13 stage 4 w 4-1 cm tumors to lungs. Xeloda 1500x 2 a day, ct scan 3-29, 50% shrinkage! Hopin and praying

Posted By: Mattie
Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 10:19pm
Oh wow! No hair loss on the Doxil. I'm now on Gemzar/Cysplatin and it's working for me.

-------------
DX 2/12 IDC,StageIIIA, T2, N2a, M0. T/C 6 rounds 5/12-9/12, Local recurrence 10/12. Rads 40-10/12-12/12. Doxil 1/13-2/13. Recur Hilar Nodes 4/12. Carbo/Gemzar to begin 4/28/2013

Date Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 2:32pm
Heart broken, just found out I will loose my hair in less then 2 weeks with Doxil!!!!!   :(((((((((((((((((((((

-------------

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 6:50pm
Kitkat,

My friend has been on Doxil for quite some time with a gynocolgical stage 4 cancer.  She hasn't lost her hair yet.  This is her 3rd year in treatment and she's been on Doxil the longest, Carbo/Taxol before that.  Her hair has thinned, but she's never lost it like we do.  I'm just mentioning this as maybe you won't lose your hair??  I know they told me I'd lose my hair when I went on Carbo/Gemzar, but I didn't.  I was expecting it.  So don't get too discouraged until it happens.  Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who will keep their hair?

Donna

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 9:44pm
Thanks Donna, how long has she been on Doxil??   And she is on it for ovarian cancer?   I had read that I had a 30% chance of hairloss. I am having alot of itching on my neck and inside elbows, iso I called my nurse and she she said, he had mentioned to her that I would loose my hair.   I have agood bit of hair, so.....maybe I won't loose it all?????

Thanks Donna :))

-------------

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 11:21pm
Kitkat,

Yes, my friend has peritonneal cancer.  She was on Doxil for about a year until they had the chemo drug shortage a couple of years ago.  The onc switched her to Carbo/Taxol for a while.  I think it was last summer when Doxil came available again by a new manufacturer and they switched her back as her tumors responded best to Doxil.  

We never know which side effects we may get with a drug.  I sure hope you won't experience hair loss.  Fingers crossed!

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:04pm
Thanks Donna...hoping to keep my hair!! Will let you know, I feel I should know in about 2-3 weeks???

-------------

Posted By: dmwolf
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 1:13pm
I think the hair loss depends on the dosing protocol.  If Doxil is given in the low-dose weekly form, then hair stays put.  If it is given higher dose, every two or three weeks, it may act more like Adriamycin and cause baldness.   The low-dose weekly form (3 week cycle usually, 2 on one off), is supposed to be effective and tolerable.   I would push for that, given a choice.
d

-------------
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Posted By: amylynn
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:08pm
Hi KitKat,
I am currently on Doxil and I get it every 4 weeks. I had my 4th treatment today and will have CAT scan in 2 weeks to see if its working. I have not lost any hair since starting it in April.   Side effects for me have been mostly skin rash, acid reflux, and starting a little hand and foot syndrome. Other than than it has not been bad and I like the every 4 weeks schedule that I am on. I am given anti nausea and steroid prior to treatment and with Doxil my treatment takes about an hour and a half. Seems really quick compared to other drugs I have had.

I really hope that you do not suffer from hair loss and that Doxil works for you and that your side effects are minimal. I am a little nervous for my scan, but hopefully Doxil is working because I think I could stay on it long term without much of a problem.

Take care of yourself.

Amy

-------------
36 at dx IDC 2/09, 8cmx3cm grade 3,BRCA1, Cl Trial-4- Taxotere,4-AC,6-Avastin,4 cycl Xeloda
9/09-rght mast.w/tissue exp
PCR
Avastin x10,28 rads,done 7/10
left mast/w bi-lat DIEP & OOPH
Mets 6/2012

Date Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 9:29pm
Amy, thank you soooo much for your post. I had my first dose last Friday and I am still really tired, hoping the next one gets easier. And I am so happy about your hair!!!! :)))))   You will have to keep me posted on your scan results.   I was on Xeloda for 2 months and got 50% shrinkage, then 3 months later it had stopped. I started in January with 4 tumors in my lungs, now I have 7!! Really want to be NED at some point!!!!

I hope your scans improve tremendously!!!

Thank you:))))

-------------

Posted By: TriplePositiveGirl
Date Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 7:53pm
Amy and Kat,

I hope you both have continued success with Doxil. I can't wait to read one day soon that you are both NED. I am thinking of you both,

Best Wishes,
Lisa

-------------
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.

Date Posted: Jul 20 2013 at 11:50pm
Lisa,
Thank you for the well wishes.   That was sweet. NED would be amazing for all of us.

KitKat,
I hope the fatigue is getting better for you. I have hit my wall of being tired after treatment so I have been laying around most of the weekend. Also, the hair can make a big difference in the way we feel, so I will say a prayer that yours stays. Will you be on a 4 week schedule like me? I think it gives the body a good recovery period before getting it again. My scan has been scheduled for Aug 6 and then will get results on Aug 14. I will keep you updated. I see that your tumors are in your lungs. Mine are more spread out with tumors on my spine, adrenal glands, lymph nodes near liver and groin, and the soft tissue of my back. I had a good response to carboplatin and Parp, but once put on Parp alone, I had progression.   

Anyway, take care of yourself and I will be in touch.

Amy.

-------------
36 at dx IDC 2/09, 8cmx3cm grade 3,BRCA1, Cl Trial-4- Taxotere,4-AC,6-Avastin,4 cycl Xeloda
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Posted By: denise07
Date Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 11:27pm
KitKat,
I am hoping for nothing but NED for you very soon!!! Goodluck with your upcoming tests praying for positive results.
Amy,
Wishing the best for you also praying for good results with your scans.
Hugs
Denise

-------------
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes

Date Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 12:23pm
Omg!!! I hit y wall last night!! Wow, so weak and tired, how long does this last.?   Today is day 13 since 1st chemo. Dr never said how many treatments I would have? How many will you have Amy?

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 12:25pm
And why do you have to wait so long after your scan to get results?? Can you go to the hospital and get a copy? That's what I did this last time because I thought the cancer was growing back in my lungs, I had a sort of it hey feeling in them

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 11:39pm
Denise,
Thank you. I appreciate the prayers and well wishes.

KitKat,
Sorry to hear you have hit a wall. I hope it doesn't last much longer for you. That is a long time to feel tired.    Honestly, the 1st treatment I was tired and was anemic, so I was tired a bit longer than normal.   The 2 & 3 were not so bad, but this round the tiredness is hanging on a bit longer.   The acid reflux and have a burning sensation in my throat when I swallow have been worse this round as well.   

I can get the results of my scan from the hospital the next day, but my dr prefers to go over results in person. The only time he calls if he thinks the scan requires immediate attention regarding treatment, surgery, or biopsy, etc. Otherwise, he always makes you schedule an appt a week after a scan for results. I will likely get the results right away unless I have a gut feeling its going to be really bad, then I will wait. Of course, I prefer to get only good news : )   Plus, I do not really like to have a crying breakdown in the drs office if I can help it. If I have the results ahead of time I can get most of that out and then be ready to ask questions.

Take care of yourself,
Amy

-------------
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Date Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 11:48pm
Oh, I forgot to mention how long I will be on Doxil. So my dr stays I will stay on it long term or until it shows progression, the side effects become to much, or I or he decides to stop it. I talked to a lady that has been on it for 22 months for ovarian cancer.   So, I guess it could be very long term if all goes well.

Amy

-------------
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Date Posted: Jul 25 2013 at 11:03am
Oh wow!   I thought with the toxicity that we could only have so much in our life time?   I am getting 40 Mel's per treatment, I think it around 550 for life???   I will find out how many he thinks I will have on Monday

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 8:44pm
Amy, your are heavy on my mind...hoping for wonderful results.

I went to see my dr Monday...he is hoping for me to be on Doxil for a year!! Ugh! Today is day 21 and I still feel tired!! He told me my counts are probly still down. I have #2 next Wednesday as long as my counts are up. He said if I do we'll, he can "push" the number of treatments with the guidance of a cardiologist from MDAnderson. He said in 2014, Mda has several trials coming up for TN. He will only put me in a phase 2 trial,not phase 1.    He said he will put me on gemzar for a maintence chemo after that.   He also said I will have ct scan the end of August ....my birthday is the 29th....hoping for good results!!!!!

I have been pretty tired for the past 2 weeks.....week 1 had to get z-pack since I was ready to claw my arms and chest off!!!   Week 2, had to take Zantac and then nexium since I felt like I was going to choke if I swallowed any food!!! Feel like such a baby!!!! I am normally pretty tough!! Hoping the next one gets easier!!!!!! Plz!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 12:40am
Hi KitKat,
   I am waiting for the upcoming scan on Tues and at this point trying not to think about it too much, but its hard not to.   My feet are causing me problems and the acid reflux was awful. I had the same difficulty swallowing.   You are not a baby and its also ok not to be tough! I have had to try to learn that myself.   Mentally and physically these treatments are not always easy.   I do hope the next is easier for you and me.

I am glad your doctor seems to have a good plan for the future. I am hoping the Doxil is working and I can stay on for at least another 6 months.   I do not know what the plan is if Doxil is failing me.

Anyway, just keep hanging in there and the tiredness should get better.   I will let you know the results soon: )

-------------
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 7:29pm
Hey girl, I was on Xeloda 5 months, feet are still recovering, and so far Doxil has not made them worse. I found gold bond ultimate healing cream (in a box) worked well with socks at bedtime. Also if you soak your feet for 15 minutes in 1/4 listerine, 1/2 vinegar and a cup of water....the dead skin should rub off easier. And ICE is your best friend!! If you put your feet on an ice pad or just put them bottom of them in ice water...it helps tremendously!!!!! I have nasty feet!    And I work at a salon and I won't get a pedicure for fear they will take off too much dead skin and make them worse.     Wished you lived closer, I am outside of Houston. Hugs :)))

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 12:05am
Hi KitKat,
Thanks for the info. I was away for the weekend and walking a lot and now my feet are paying for it. I am going to try your tips. They are swollen, red, and blistered.   The shoes I had on must have been the problem, but right now it hurts to wear shoes.   Anyway, can't sleep.   Getting nervous about scan and trying to research what the next option may be. I will keep you updated though. I am thinking its almost time for your second round.. Good luck with that. Hope it goes better this time. Take care and I will talk to you soon.

Amy

-------------
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Date Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 11:02pm
Well scan was not good. I am not sure what the next plan will be, but guess I am done with Doxil.   I will meet with dr next week, so we will see what he comes up with.

-------------
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Date Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 11:36pm
Amy, I am so very sorry to hear this. Plz let me know what's the next line of defense for you is. You have been on my mind a lot.   Ask your dr about the trial Beth told us. Also ask f they can test your tumor for chemo sensitivty.   There's a lot more chemos out ere, it just finding what right for you. Wished your dr would have scanned you sooner!!!!! Hugs sweet sister :)

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 12:05am
KitKat,
   Thanks. It all sucks and this is the part I hate, just waiting for a new plan. I am going to look into clinical trials and also hear what chemo my dr would start next and make a decision. I guess no chemo for me next week though. My feet really need some recovery, so I am ok with that.   Also gives me some time to cry and then be ready to move on to the next plan. Going to try to sleep now.

Good luck with your next round.   Hope it's easier and it's working for you! Goodnight.

Amy

-------------
PCR
Mets 6/2012

Posted By: Losting
Date Posted: Apr 22 2017 at 1:44pm
hi everyone. firstly I want to say I'm sorry for bringing this post up as I can see that it is a 2013 post, but I just wrote Doxil in search and this is what i was given so I wanted to ask... what kind of side effects you had from it? is the hair loss thing real? someone had positive results on it?  I only heard about http://Propecia" rel="nofollow - Propecia but it is only for men.

anyway, thanks for the replies so far.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net