URL: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=11276
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 10:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Toenail fungus after chemo
Posted By: sabinecalifornia
Subject: Toenail fungus after chemo
Date Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 6:05pm
Hello everybody,
I know this is a topic nobody wants to talk about. I developed a toenail fungus after chemo. Did anybody else and what did they get treated with.

Sabine

-------------
DX TNBC 7/11 @ age 50, Stage 2A Grade 3, 1/19, LE/AD 8/11, BRCA1/2 neg.,
4 A/C, 10 Taxol, 2 Abraxane due to allerg. react. to Taxol, fin 3/12. 33 Rads 6/12. NED CT 8/12, 10/13, 10/14

Replies:
Posted By: tasoulla
Date Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 1:06am
Hello Sabine,

My mum has a problem with toenail after chemo and they performed a fungus test to confirm it but it was not.Did you had a test to see if it is fungus?
After chemo she had a problem with very thin and with lines nails, in some of them she has a pain went in 2 dermatologists and they thought it was fungus and prescribed medication.After she went for her follow up in Israel and they performed a fungus test which confirmed it was not.
Did you had fungus test at dermatologist? Do you have pain and how you nails looks?
She stills have a problem after 3 years...

Posted By: MLindaG
Date Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 8:50am
Hi Sabine,
I developed a problem with my toe nails during taxol.  They looked like they were lifting and had a horrible smell.  Ended up at the podiatrist.  He removed parts of many of my nails (All that were lifting) and noticed that i had  fungal issues.  So I have been going to him about every 10 weeks where he grinds down the end of my nails that have fungus on them.    I have a prescription fungal cream which I use daily which he says I will have to take forever to keep things at bay.  So far all but my big toe nails are back to normal and only two of those smaller toes have a small amount of the fungus remaining at the top of the nail.........all the new nail growth looks great with no fungus.  He had to take more than half of the two big toe nails off and they are now 3/4 in (All fungus gone on those!)  I would see a podiatrist and see what he has to say.  

-------------
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 10:36am
Tasoulla, MLindaG,
thank you so much for responding. Haven't been at a dermatologist or podiatrist yet. I worked for many years at a dermatologist so I know what nail fungus looks like. I have a appointment wiht a family practice on Wednesday, will ask her about it. I am on Medi-Cal, not a lot doctors accepts that kind of insurance, had a hard time to find a family practice, didn't have one after I lost my medical insurance 3 years ago.

My toe nails are so ugly that I have to wear sneakers all the time even in the hot Californiia sun. I miss wearing flip flops.

-------------
4 A/C, 10 Taxol, 2 Abraxane due to allerg. react. to Taxol, fin 3/12. 33 Rads 6/12. NED CT 8/12, 10/13, 10/14

Posted By: 123Donna
Date Posted: Jan 05 2015 at 8:32am
Has anyone tried Jublia for toenail fungus?  My big toenails developed a fungus after chemo and I've never been able to get rid of it.  The dermatologist recommended trying Jublia, a new antifungal topical drug.  I was wondering if anyone has tried it and did it work.

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Posted By: Tamara
Date Posted: Jan 05 2015 at 10:39pm
I completed chemo (A/C and Taxol) in October and started having trouble with my fingernails about 2 weeks later - thought I was going to lose my thumb nail as it was lifting off. Someone recommended tea tree oil but I could not tolerate the odor. My fingernails are brittle and have lines on them. Not sure about tea tree oil for fungus.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2015 at 8:16am
Tamara,

I've tried everything so far and nothing has worked for me:  Tea Tree Oil, Vicks, Cider Vinegar soaks.  I have to say the Vinegar was the most disgusting smell, lol.  

-------------
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Date Posted: Jan 06 2015 at 4:32pm
I've asked my family practice for any topical prescription treatments and she told me nothing would really work except oral medication. I don't want to take anything oral because I know it is hard on the liver. Any other ideas?

Sabine

-------------

Posted By: lotusblossom
Date Posted: Jan 07 2015 at 8:04am
I found out about Penlac through my pharmacist. It is an anti- fungal nail polish that requires a prescription here in Canada. I had tried several natural remedies and over the counter creams before it. The Penlac did the trick after about 3 months of application. My nails are fine now.

Posted By: MLindaG
Date Posted: Jan 07 2015 at 2:05pm
Donna, I was wondering the same thing. I too have not had any success getting rid of the fungus......I'm two years out from Chemo and this past summer they cut my nails back so far I felt like it was when they all fell off during taxol!!! I was so upset for the summer they looked awful.......(This is the big toenails mostly) My podiatrist tells me to hang in there it took one women over 5 years to get rid of it. He tells me to avoid nail polish but I'm sorry during the summer I'm not going out with these horrible nails without polish on them! I'm going to ask him about the med when I go to see him this month.

-------------
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2015 at 6:50pm
MLindaG,

I'm with you about the nail polish.  I only have problems with my big toe nails and keeping them covered with polish allows me to feel comfortable in sandles during the summer.  I asked my primary doc about the Jublia my dermatologist prescribed.  She felt it was fine for me to try it.  I'm going to give it a try and see if it works.  They said it could take months, up to a year to see results.  I tried the natural stuff and nothing worked so far.  I'll let you know if I have good results.

Donna

-------------

Posted By: silvesta001
Date Posted: Jun 09 2017 at 5:21am

After being treated with chemo, if you have found a new issue that is generally known as toenail fungus then don’t worry. Getting rid of toenail fungus has become the most common issues irritates a lot but this can be treated with some natural treatments. When I was facing the same issue I found https://sites.google.com/site/treatmentfortoenails" rel="nofollow - https://sites.google.com/site/treatmentfortoenails and got all my answers for treating this issue. You can also try these treatments. 

Posted By: stella114
Date Posted: Jun 15 2017 at 1:34am

You can try several remedies to get rid of toenail fungus infection. Some of the most effective ingredients that can be used to prepare home remedies are apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, tea tree oil, petroleum jelly and more. However, you can get some idea to prepare such remedies at: http://remedies-to-get-rid-of-toenail-fungus.weebly.com/" rel="nofollow - http://remedies-to-get-rid-of-toenail-fungus.weebly.com . Here, you will some home remedies that canbe applied to your toe to treat toenail fungus infection. Just try them once.

Posted By: gordon15
Date Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 5:58pm
My wife had the problem after chemo, she swears that Vick's VapoRub works. Her chemo nurse told her about it. She says "Equate" Vaporizing Rub 3.55 oz from Walmart is cheaper.

She says take a Q-tip and apply around the (she had big toe problem) nail but don't stuff in under the nail from the top, just around the nail-bed and sides, once a day, she said it takes up to 6 months, as the nail grows in, it kills fungus on all new growth.

-------------
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017

Posted By: snugltz
Date Posted: Jun 18 2017 at 12:46am
Yes I tried Jublia.  My doc said it only works for some.  You have to do it for 48 weeks.  It helped one of my nails.  (for some reason its only on my right foot)  I went to pick it up at Walgreens and the price for a tiny bottle, I think 4 oz was $1,200.  I had to get another bottle half way through and that was only for 5 nails.  Its crazy expensive.  Would have cost me $2400 for one nail cured.  But Walgreens had some sort of deal where you got a card and it was only like $100 or $200 a bottle.  I have forgotten.  Sorry.  Check out Jublia website or Walgreens.  And it comes in 2 sizes.  I believe 4 and 6 oz.  Get the doc to write one for 6 oz if you choose to go that route.  Its the same price for either on the card.  Sorry I cant remember more.  Been about 1 1/2 years ago. 

-------------
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X

Posted By: mainsailset
Date Posted: Jun 18 2017 at 9:07am
Keep in mind that likely one of the reasons toe fungus appears is that your immune system has been compromised by chemo. Whatever you can do to improve your immune system goes hand in hand with getting the toe fungus under control.

-------------
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear

Date Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 1:46am

If you are infected with toenail fungus then you can easily get rid of it with the help of some natural remedies. There are several home remedies that are easy to apply and the results can be seen very soon. You can get some of the remedies at: https://curetoenailfungus.puzl.com/" rel="nofollow - https://curetoenailfungus.puzl.com . These are some of the remedies you should try to get rid of toenail fungus. 

Posted By: mindy555
Date Posted: Oct 23 2017 at 7:20am
Back in October 2011 I had Taxol, which left me with neuropathy after only 3 wkly rounds.  We aborted due to this palpable mass which was growing instead of shrinking. Here it is 2017, my right big toenail which I didn't keep polished with clear polish like I did my nails slowly but surely started growing a fungus, pointed out by the woman who does my pedicures.  I never really trusted mani pedi places being sterile enough except for a shop my friend owns.  She recognized it as the beginning stages of toe fungus.  That's the time to take it seriously.  Mine didn't look bad and used some of the over the counter "Clear Nail" she gave me to use on the right toe nail bed, with instructions to get under the nail too. Don't bother.  It never did anything. 

Now my big toe is disgusting and the tip is a light brown, has grown larger nail bed and is a little sore and very loose.  I've tried tea tree oil, Mentholatum, and was doing research when I ran into my old stomping ground.  I brought up Taxol, because it seems to be the culprit for nail problems, but could be wrong.  I think the clear polish - a natural formula without the 7 nasties, saved my finger nails.  The look pretty nice.  I keep them short and the biggest problem was they were a little brittle at times, but are fine now. 

Who would think after only 3 rounds I'd have this right big toe fungus.  Actually I know it started much earlier, and I didn't care for it as diligently as I should have.  Anyway, I'm continuing my search for something effective.  I know it's going to be a long term endeavor.  Ugh.  Another side effect rears its ugly head. 

Thanks for the suggestions here. xo  Mindy

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Date Posted: Oct 23 2017 at 7:52am
Mindy,

I tried every natural and over the counter therapy over the years after treatment ended, then finally asked my dermatologist.  She prescribed Jublia for me.  I applied it every night for about 10 months (can't remember exactly how long).  It worked great.  I still have a little raised area at the tip of my big toes, but all the dark areas are gone and the nails look pretty normal again.  It's worth a try if all the other remedies failed, which they did for me.

Donna

-------------

Posted By: alwayne22
Date Posted: Oct 24 2017 at 10:46pm
i had been struggling with nail fungus for a longwhile now, its been 7 moths since i've had nail fungus issue.. i went to the doc and they prescribed me with cream but it did'nt help me .. so i began to research online and i stumbled upon this blog which changes my life for the best http://toenailfungusonline.com" rel="nofollow - http://toenailfungusonline.com

Date Posted: Oct 25 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Mindy,

I tried every natural and over the counter therapy over the years after treatment ended, then finally asked my dermatologist.  She prescribed Jublia for me.  I applied it every night for about 10 months (can't remember exactly how long).  It worked great.  I still have a little raised area at the tip of my big toes, but all the dark areas are gone and the nails look pretty normal again.  It's worth a try if all the other remedies failed, which they did for me.

Donna

Oh WOW!  Thanks Donna.  I'll get in touch with my derm!

I don't know what I would've done without you when I first joined this forum, and your helpful posts continue to provide much great information and support.

Thanks beautiful lady...

Your friend
Mindy

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Date Posted: Oct 25 2017 at 11:10pm
Mindy,

So good to see you are doing well my friend.  Hope it works for you.  You brush it on the affected nail every night.  It looks like clear nail polish.  

Hugs,
Donna  

-------------

Posted By: stella114
Date Posted: Nov 16 2017 at 2:22am

It is quite possible that you may get toenail fungus after you go through chemotherapy. This is very strong treatment especially done to treat cancer patients. This treatment affects your body and health a lot. So, if you have gone through chemo and now suffering from toenail fungus issue then it is better if you try some natural treatments or home remedies. But, you can also try some ayurvedic treatment as well that can help you treat toenail fungus infection. You can know some http://www.curetoenailfungus.info/blog/ayurvedic-treatment-toenail-fungus" rel="nofollow - and get rid of this issue forever. 

Date Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 5:20am

It is quite possible that you may have toenail fungus after you go through chemotherapy. But, do not worry because you can easily http://www.bestfootcares.com/toenail-fungus/cure-toenail-fungus-infection?utm_source=bl&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign=frm" rel="nofollow - cure toenail fungus infection with the help of some natural home remedies and non-surgical treatments. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2018 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Mindy,

Donna

Donna,

Like you in the beginning, I started with a very good (well pricey) Tea Tree Oil.  I let it soak in and then sealed it with Mentholatum- Vick's.

This winter has been so cold, everything dries out and it's constant maintenance of skin, feet, hands- all nails, even hair dries out some.

Finally the upper 2/3rds of the tip of my big right toenail loosened up enough to fall off in my sock.  Yeah, I know. *gag*

Since my old derm retired, and I didn't make the effort to find a new one,  I kept trying this my way- it's only my right big toe.  My nails on my hands are nice as long as they are kept moisturized, and they never developed, or haven't developed fungus like my one big infected toe.

I think it's time to find a derm, and will ask about Jubila.  I even did several Tea Tree soaks, but this brutal winter made it hard to keep up with the dryness.  Now I have a missing toe nail- at least the 2/3rds from the tip down.  Underneath is some darkness which I'm able to scrape off - which was a relief.  It's not painful at all like it was in the beginning.

Sorry to be so long and graphic.  I'm not sure this is very helpful to anyone but me, just to unload.  LOL.

Thanks once again for the name of a topical that actually worked for you. And very glad you're on the mend.

xxx Mindy

edited to clarify the nail, not the toe fell off.  TongueWink  Something any rational, sane person would've easily caught.

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Posted By: snugltz
Date Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 3:20pm
I tried Jublia. My doc said it only works for some. Its terribly expensive unless you get it at walgreens with their special if its still available. And get the 6 oz not the 3. will last longer. BUT did not work for me very well. I'm trying the vicks and toe fungus cream. See how that goes. I, too, only got it on one foot

-------------
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X

Posted By: gordon15
Date Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 7:55pm
My wife had the fungus under her big toe,after chemo,   the chemo nurse recommended Vicks Vaporub, my wife put that repeatedly on the nail-base, where the nail starts, it kills the fungus as the toenail grows, just keep applying it, the new toenail will grow without the fungus.
It takes about 4-6 weeks

-------------
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017

Date Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 8:11pm
Thanks, Gordon!!!!

BTW, I beg to differ Mainsail.  Many people with strong immune systems have nail fungus. It is not, I repeat, is not an immune system disorder.

Talk to my doctor.  You've helped me more than you know, but I will beg to differ on this point.

-------------
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net