Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post mastectomy recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Realistic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post mastectomy recovery
    Posted: Dec 06 2016 at 11:52am
I was diagnosed with Stage 2B in September. I am 39 with young kids. Now down to last one  round of dose dense Taxol in Mid December.  I am BRCA negative but weighing in my surgical options including double mastectomy with reconstruction. Please, can some of you share your surgical experiences ? I am talking things like able to do normal chores and lift light weights, driving , be able to come off all the pain medications etc..

Thanks in advance
Realistic
Mdnyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2016 at 4:50pm
Hi Realistic..while I am sorry about your diagnosis, I am glad you found us.  I am 46 years old, diagnosed with TNBC stage one last year February.  I am BRCA positive so decided to be very aggressive.  Had a double mastectomy and full round of ACT.  I have always been very active and am happy to report that I still am.  I run five miles a few times a week, lift weights, ride a bike.  The one thing that still gives me a bit of discomfort is when I do butterfly exercises with weights.  But that's really it. Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide will be the right thing for you.  Hugs

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2016 at 11:36pm
Hi, it's been a few years now for me but I think I can help a bit. For the first week the surgeon asked me to go slow, mostly I found it was because the drains were still in place and things were cumbersome more than painful. I never took any of the pain medications, didn't need to. Three days after surgery I drove myself back to the surgeon, which was a 3-1/2 hour drive each way and I was fine, tired but fine.

At a week I began walking, my stitches came out gradually and were all removed by 10 days out. Mostly I would say follow the guidance of the surgeon as I'm sure yours will be like mine that kept an eagle eye on my progress. He could tell how fast things were healing and gave me step by step approvals of how and when I could add movement to my routines. I also put 'bag balm' on my stiches area which did a good job of keeping the area from getting dry and itchy. It makes a mess but I just wore loose clothing.

There are different philosophies on the surgery I found: my sis was an outpatient and had an in home nurse stop by to dress the wound. She was told not to shower for 4-5 days. With me I spend the night after surgery in the hospital, sent home the next day and told to take the bandages off myself and I could have a shower that 2nd day. So, good idea to ask just which technique your team wants to follow.

Best of luck to you !
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic