Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Port detached

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GRANNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Port detached
    Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 9:03pm
Hi everyone,  Just wondering if anyone else has had their port come loose and float around in their chest by the insertion site.  My surgeon ensured me that my port was sewn to a muscle in four places with nondesolving stiches.  Mine was the first out of at least 600 ports he has placed to do this.  I am a RN in out pt surgery I have never seen this happen quiet this way maybe flip or a couple sutures give way but by no means have I seen everything that can happen.  I was just washing my poor bald scalp and had pain at the port site and saw it moving.  (yuck) DeadIt felt flipped I had to drive a little over 2 hours so the infusion nurse could try to flush the port.  She tried and you could actually hear the neddle scratching the back of the port.  Shocked To make this long story short Friday I drive back 2 hours to have my port revision if possible or it replaced so chemo can go on weds.  Clap prayers to all JuliaTongue
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 2:21pm
Consider having an interventional radiologist insert the port if you want it reinserted or ask to have a PICC line inserted.....by an interventiona radiologist (it takes minutes and it is ready to use).

Just a thought.

Connie
elaineb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elaineb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 5:46pm
Ah, the nurse curse strikes again.  My breast exploded last Friday, 8 days after my lumpectomy.  My doc said, if it's gonna happen, it always happens to us nurses.

I asked my onc nurse friend about ports and piccs and movement and she said it's very rare to have significant problems with them.  She also said if you are getting the full dose treatment of 6 or more cycles, then ports are the best.

Hope the repositioning or replacement of your port goes easy. 

Dx 7/09 1.1 cm, Stage 1, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes TNBC
Lumpectomy 7/23/09
PB Rads x 1 week 8/31
TC x 6 9/8
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:38pm
Julia, I had mine flip and the 2nd one was trying real hard to, barely made it through the last treatment and then told the surgeon to yank it. When they work they're a Godsend, when they don't it's a pretty horrific feeling. And the 2 hour drive sounds special. Mine is 3-1/2 and I've really gotten sick of my own company.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
GRANNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 6:40am
Thanks for all the comments.  It is the truth if it is going to happen it happens to a nurse.  My bilateral reduction on 5 27 09 opened up 9 days after surgery.  The breast still has a small opening about half the size of a pinky finger nail.  The drainage is about the size of a quarter daily with no signs of infection thank godness.  If this port comes loose again I will oh well just deal with it then ha ha.  Surgery at 4 pm with a 2 hour and 15 minute drive to get there better get off here and scat.  Best wishes to all. Julia
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 5:55pm
Good luck Julia!!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
GRANNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 5:52pm
August the 7th I had Surgery they found my port completely detacted the catherter all the way out and coiled in my chest like a snake .LOL  Oh well thats what I get for being a nurse.  He tried to put a new port in but could not get it to thread back where he had it so now it is in the jugular.  This actually hurt worse than my breast sugery.  The last port placement was a piece of cake.  I have an unreal amount of swelling from below my chin down into my breast along with bruising.  Nothing but a thing thats what ice packs and pain pills are for.  I am just glad He was able to get one in. Thumbs%20Up Lots of prayer and good wishes everyones way Julia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic