FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POLST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POLST
    Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 3:48am
In California and I am not sure in how many other States there is something called POLST..i.e. Physician's Order for Life Sustaining Therapy and it is a document signed by both patient and her/his physician that outlines what that patient wishes and does not wish to be their end-of-life care.

Please take a look at the video provided and also the form.

I met with a family today and the patient had recently completed the form and it is serving as an important document, that will be respected, in her care, as she cannot talk, at the moment, but at least her wishes are known. The POLST document has been copied and entered in the patient's records.

Please think about having such a form executed even if you are not seriously ill. And if you wishes change, a new form can be executed and the latest dated form will supersede others.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 10:48am
This type of Directive is so very important and it takes the Difficult Decisions off the shoulders of those who are designated advocates for care. 
In Nova Scotia Canada, we have what is called a Personal Directive and the hospital asks that this form be completed so they know what the patient wants in their care. 
Thanks for bringing this critical document to light in California, Steve! Hugs, h.
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic