FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PET Scan Headache

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lady4law View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PET Scan Headache
    Posted: Jul 18 2007 at 8:03am
Well I had my PET & CT scans yesterday to stage my BC. I got rather nasuated afterwards and developed a terrible headache which I still have this morning...is this normal?

I was terrified inside that tube for about an hour. My heart was punding so hard I thought it was going to explode, not sure if it was my pacemaker or my fear. It's scary waiting for the results. Bone scan tomorrow, chemo Friday. Today it's chemo for my son. He has Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Jean
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2007 at 11:27am
Hi Jean, thanks for letting us know how it went for you yesterday.  I've been thinking about you.  I did not have any nausea or headache with these scans but we are all different.  You've been pretty stressed over this week and what's to come so I'm not surprised you had a headache.
You might ask if you can take something before your scan tomorrow, something to calm you like a xanax but make sure it is ok. 
Breast cancer is bad enough but it comes with all the emotional extras, stress, it's really hard, especially in the beginning when you're getting so much done.  Oh yes and the waiting for scan results can be a nightmare.
We need to try and stay busy best we can w/other things till we learn our results but it isn't easy.  I hope you hear soon.

I've noticed alot of women do take something to help them calm down, doctors understand.

How old is your son and how is he doing?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
lady4law View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2007 at 2:35pm
My son is 34. He was diagnoised a few weeks after getting married with Hodgkins/Lymphoma. Terrible wedding gift. He's doing better this is extra chemo...maintaince.

I agree waiting for results from a "report' is a nightmare. We don't knwo how bad our cancer is and if we can fight it.

I think I'll ask for something to calm me down, as I think it really hit me yesterday...I might die. That PET scan tube really did it to me.

Jean
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2007 at 1:33am
Jean, I'm so sorry to hear about your son.  It must have been a shock to all of you but I'm so glad he is doing better!  Thank heavens for the extra chemo maintaince.

Did they give you any idea how long you will wait for the results?
I don't know why it is but half the time you have to wait over a week-end which seems to make it worse. Confused  Maybe you'll know something by Friday when you start your chemo.  Your Onc may have your results by then?

It's gonna be ok, we're gonna fight this cancer!!

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
CalGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2007 at 2:29pm
Hi Jean -

I hope your post-scan headache is gone.   The only time I felt awful in my head was when I had a brain scan ...  On my latest PET/CT, I felt kinda "tight" across my breastbone ... it was odd.  I mentioned it to my DH, just in case ... but it was fine on the second day.

I also had a PET/CT scan this week and will get results tomorrow, Friday.   Although I have no evidence of disease, once Stage IV, they never reclass you.   Believe me, I know the anxiety and fear that waiting for the results brings ... While I'm glad to get scans quarterly, it's nerve-wracking.

I'm fine with the tube ...  The biggy for me is if they get the IV in on the first try or not!  If they do, I'm fine (and thankful), if not, I try not to feel flushed and like I'm going to pass out, but I usually get that light headed feeling and ask for a damp cloth ...

I'm sorry to hear about your son getting dx'd with Hodkins Lymphoma as a newlywed.  I can relate to that ...  I was dx'd with my first bc 4-1/2 mos after getting married ...  I'd never been happier ...  I got shorted on the honeymoon phase, but your son only got a few weeks as a newlywed before cancer ... Geez.  Good that he's doing the extra chemo maintenance.  I hope his wife is really supportive.

I hope we both get good news on our scans!

CalGal
BRCA1
9/04 Bi-lat lump, clear SNB
38x Rad'tn
12/05 Recurr bc & mets to liver
06 the year of chemo
NED for 13 mos until 7/07
Lung met. PARP trial until ...
2/08 Liver mets again
lady4law View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady4law Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2007 at 4:27pm
Well I made it thru the Bone scan...I hope it was readable. The teck did not tell me it had started and I moved my hands and head a bit. Finally I said boy my hands are numb and my son (who went it with me) said no problem as it had already passed over my hands.

I was very upset when I talked to my oncologist, actually my husband had called earlier this morning and she did not return the call until after her office had closed. My husband, on the speaker phone, asked if the results were in on the PET/CT. There was dead air for about 2 minutes, each waiting for the other to speak, when she said..."I am here". SHe got very medical, and we had no idea what she was saying. When we asked if she could tell us in English, she sounded almost put out. All I got was there is activity in my left breast, where the lump had been removes and some other place. She was vague about where that other place is, under my arm. I am still not sure if it was in my lymphnodes, muscles or what.

She asked what time my chemo is tomorrow, then said she has tomorrow off. She also asked we had set up an appointment for my "shot" on Saturday. My husband and I looked at each other and both replied...What shot? Well I am suppose to have a shot of Neulastia. My son who was listening got upset becasue he said you never had that shot the day after, but 3 days later because the chemo will still be killing cells the following day.

I wish this was over and I  was in remission....what a battle.

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2007 at 3:38am
I'm glad you got thru your bonescan ok and hope they let you know soon so you'll not have to wait long for the results, I hate that part
I get a Neulasta shot the day after my chemo.  After the first chemo I did not and ended up in the hospital for 4 days w/a low white blood count.
The shot does make a difference or it has for me.  Even with the long drive back up to the clinic and back it's worth it to me.

I am with you today and hope chemo goes smoothly.  You will understand better after today what your treatments will be like.  Hang in there!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic