Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peripheral Neuropathy & Gabapentin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iluv2sing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluv2sing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peripheral Neuropathy & Gabapentin
    Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 9:22am
Hello Smile
Has anyone posted discussions on Peripheral Neuropathy & Gabapentin?
Would love to hear other experiences. 
Raymon
Rejoice Everday!
Dx 1/23/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- , BRCA-
Winchimed44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winchimed44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2017 at 12:29am
I am now taking Gaberpentin. I've only been a week out and I have numbness in my heels and big toes. I feel the meds don't work, only make me severly sleepy. But my MO did warn me that side effect.
tulip09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2017 at 1:54pm
I found that the sleepiness gets better as you take it.  I think it took a couple of weeks.  I have been taking gabapentin for months and it definitely helps the pain in my feet, especially the shooting pains.  It doesn't help the stiffness or numbness though.  I do sleep better on it as well.  It took time to sort out the best dose for me. I had to keep increasing the dose.  I was told it only works on the nerve pain.  I tried lyrica but had to much swelling as a side effect.

Aschner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aschner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 6:22pm
Gabapentin helps with my neuropathy and I actually find that it has a calming affect on me. It does make me a bit sleepy but I have adjusted to it.
Jacklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 8:06pm
I am taking gabapentin and amytryptiline at the same time; apparently combining the gabapentin with the anti-depressant results in more effective pain management. My doctor slowly increased the amount of gabapentin over many months and then added the amytryptiline. For sure it helps with the pain (pins & needles), allowing me to have better days. Like tulip09 posted, it does not help with the stiffness or numbness. My bedtime dose is considerably higher which allows me to sleep better.
Dx: Nov. 27/15, TNBC, left breast & lymph, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 4/15 - Mar 4/16; 4 DD A/C, 3 DD Taxol; BMX/ALND: April 26/16; Stage 3C; Radiation: June 10-July 15/16; 1 cycle Xeloda: Aug 15 - 28/16
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic