FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pCR, BMX, residual DCIS, rads?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pCR, BMX, residual DCIS, rads?
    Posted: Aug 22 2018 at 9:59am
Hello, everyone! I’ve not been on the boards for a while as I’ve been recovering from my BMX. I hope you’re all well! I have a few questions. I had my BMX at MDA on July 31. Pre-op imaging indicated pCR, and my BS felt I was a good candidate for direct implants. My post-op pathology shows no residual cancer, but there was DCIS in the tumor bed. I never had anything in the nodes. Cellularity of DCIS was 20%. No one ever felt I would do radiation unless there was residual invasive. I saw the rad onc after surgery, and he recommended it. My BS, who has actually written a text book and is the director of breast surgery at MDA, doesn’t feel I need rads. My onc here at home doesn’t either. I’m seeing a second rad onc tomorrow. I’ll do what I need to do, but I have concerns with this being my left side. I could care less if I lose the implant. My questions are, did any of you have residual DCIS? And if so, did you do rads? Do you all think a pCR with residual DCIS is really pCR? I’ve read studies that say yes, but German studies say no. I’m afraid I might lose my job and home if I have to do rads. It would mean at least three hours of travel daily and trying to work. Any insight welcome! I’m 37 with two kiddos. I know ladies with no nodes and pCR who didn’t do rads and are fine, but they didn’t have DCIS. My BS considered me stage T1c.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2018 at 5:58pm
Hi Tosha: I too had residual DCIS, but it was after my lumpectomy. I also had 7 out of 14 positive nodes. My local breast surgeon said mastectomy followed by radiation and six months of oral chemo. Dr Traina and the radiologist at Slone Kettering agreed. Everyone said the DCIS has to be removed and then radiation for any lingering cells. The DCIS can be the root of invasive ductal carcinoma so it needs to be removed and the area treated.

Hope this helps.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 8:02am
Thank you! It looks like I’ll be having radiation, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic