Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCOS and Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PinkArch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkArch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCOS and Triple Negative Breast Cancer
    Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 12:40am
Hello,

I am wondering if any of you have  ever come across a study/spoken with doctors about PCOS and Triple Negative Breast Cancer?  I was wondering if there is any connection since PCOS causes women to have higher testosterone/androgen...
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 12:56am
PinkArch,

Would like to confirm that the PCOS refers to polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Thanks.

Grateful for today.............Judy
PinkArch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkArch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 1:10am
Yes, it does refer to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  I have it, and my mom just got diagnosed with TNBC.
I'm wondering if the PCOS increases my chance?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 7:52am
PinkArch,

There has been some discussion about some women testing positive for the androgen receptor.  Here's a thread that you may be interested in:

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

rissamama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rissamama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 2:24am
So I just found this post after searching through the current clinical trials. I googled Pcos and Triple Negative. I've tried searching it before but couldn't find anything previously. I noticed that they are studying the effects of anti androgen drugs on Triple negative tumors. I also have PCOS and have been telling my doctors for years to put me on spirinonlactone or an anti androgen to which they refused. I am wondering if this is the link that I've been searching for. I was telling the nurse practitioner at my oncologist that I still have facial hair and severe acne although i'm going through chemo. She said no I don't need an anti androgen and that I'm just born like this. SMH I just knew it was all connected some how. I am going to ask for my pathology report from my biopsy tomorrow when I go for my treatment.
rissamama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rissamama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 2:31am
I would also like to point out that there are studies undergoing that suggest metformin (which is also used as a treatment for PCOS) helps the prognosis in women undergoing chemotherapy. I read once on web MD that PCOS increases your risk for cancer although it didnt specify which type. Although I've always believed it causes ovarian since that's where the cysts are. My mom had ovarian she unfortunately passed away so I dont know if she also had PCOS. I believe there has to be some sort of connection to all of it including insulin resistance that PCOS causes.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 11:02am
rissamma,

Good for you to research and look for any clues/links.  Ask them if they tested your tumor for androgen.  When I was dx in 2009, this was not an identified sub-type and not part of routine testing.  I'm not sure if it's done automatically today during the pathology or if the surgeon or onc has to request the test.  It sounds like it would be a good idea for your situation.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

rissamama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rissamama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 7:57pm
Thanks Donna,
I actually requested to see my pathology report today. And my oncologist said it's not routine. He said it is in stage 4. He said not right now that it doesnt affect anything. I'm guessing that means until more studies are done he cant do anything with the AR. It sucks I guess we have to wait for more research to be done or take our chances of enrolling in one of these new studies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic