FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now What

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beth TNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth TNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now What
    Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 3:39pm
I have a question for those who had a treatment plan of:
chemo, surgery (mastectomy), more chemo and then radiation.

After you finished radiation did you have any follow up
testing? A PET scan, a CT scan or something else?
Anything to verify that all traces of cancer were gone?

Or were you just left to hope that everything is OK?

Thanks for sharing any experiences,

Beth

Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 1:43pm
Hello  

My care plan was (surgery, chemo then CT scan, then radiation) - now I am on the every 6 month visits to oncologist for follow up and blood tests.  She advised that other testing is "symptom based" and that routine PET or CT scans are not the norm.  I was afraid to have my CT scan after chemo but my medical oncologist insisted.  All was clear.  It's hard to have all your treatment completed and just wait and wonder.  The best advise my RO gave me was "stay calm and carry on".. I reflect on that statement quite a bit.  Hope this helps ~ Penny  

DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 4:40pm
My wife is on Medicare, and we are thankful she has great doctors, she is now about a year after surgery , single mastectomy, where the tumor had a metaplastic/squamous component, so it is/was chemo-resistant, so after she finished chemo after surgery, she was referred to UCSD/Moores,(Southern California) because it is rare, and they said she needed a PET every 3 months, but now they are only doing every 6 months, because she has gone more than a year without it recurring on scans. So, it depends on how aggressive the tumor is and how aggressive your oncologist is on demanding such treatment-followups.
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Beth TNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth TNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 4:46pm
Hi Penny,
Thanks for your reply. I like the "stay calm and carry on" idea. I see my oncologist in a week for a 3 month check up. Last time I saw her I asked about oral chemo such as Xelodia and she said she had not decided yet if I needed it. I did not have complete response to my pre surgery chemo but with the mastectomy my surgeon said I had clear margins. So for now I guess I will just 'hang tight' and see what next week brings.
Beth
Shanghaiedsherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanghaiedsherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 9:14pm
I'm 3 mo. out from lumpectomy, chemo & radiation. I had good energy until 10 days after chemo. Now sleep 18 hrs. a day, feel wore out. All blood tests for anemia are low normal. All I've been offered is PT. I went once, got sick and haven't been back. Any magic cures for such low energy? My house is a mess, feel like I need a caregiver.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic