FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No chemo
    Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 5:45pm
I had a breast biopsy about 4 weeks ago. TNBC idc .3 cm DCIS .8. I had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago and my surgery path reports show DCIS ONLY no IDC clear margins and node neg. I am 72 years old. It appears that all of the idc was removed at biopsy. My MO says that because my IDC was less tha .5 cm chemo is not necessary and would have minimal benefits. He says my age was no a consideration
I will have radiation.
I am going for a second opinion. Has anyone heard of no chemo on very small idc?
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 2:49am
My cousin at age 45 had 0.6cm TNBC IDC and had chemo, but her oncologist said she was just over the line for chemo and if the tumor had been under 0.5cm, he would not have recommended chemo.
Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 10:29am
Thank you Meadow for responding. I guess of course I don't want to have chemo but with just rad I fear it won't be enough. I have not read from a long term survivor that did not do chemo. I appreciate your info about what your cousins Dr told her. I hope she is doing well.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 1:49pm
Welcome Cherylg,

Based on NCCN guidelines, your tumor was the size where chemo was not a recommendation.  Here are a couple of links to read.  If you are feeling uncertain, a second opinion will help you decide.  Wishing you the best!

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 4:37pm
Thank you 123 Donna
My Dr showed me the NCCN guidelines that he was following. I think if another Dr concurs I hope I will feel better. I just want to think I did all I could do   Although I do realize that chemo carries it own risk factors. Thank you so much for the website links. Appreciate this blog.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 9:11pm
Cheryl,

You're welcome.  When I had my recurrence, I got a second opinion on chemo and three opinions on radiation.  I hope the second opinion you get gives you comfort in your decision.  Please let us know what you decide.  Wishing you the best!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2017 at 9:17pm
Thank you Donna. I will let you know what I decide. Nice to talk to women that understand.

Cheryl
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2017 at 1:54am
I think it's really rare for an IDC tumor to be detected so small, so there probably are not a lot of women who have been in your situation. But your oncologist, or the oncologist you go to for a second opinion, may have access online to a database with statistics showing survival rates for women with that tumor size who did not have chemo. Check back in and let us know where you land - we care about you!
Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2017 at 10:20am
Thank you Meadow for your encouragement. I hope your cousin is doing well.

Donna I hope everything is good with you

Thank you both for caring.
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2017 at 12:12pm
Cheryl - yes my cousin is doing great and so am I. We were both stage I (my tumor was larger, 1 cm) and finished treatment 6-7 years ago with no recurrence. I had double mastectomy and ovaries removed as part of my treatment, due to having a BRCA mutation, so I wouldn't say I'm "back to normal," but life is good!
Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2017 at 8:25pm
Hi Meadow. I didn't realize you had TNBC too. I am delighted to hear you both are doing great. Being 6 and 7 years out is really terrific. I have been reading more and more about Stage I small tumors and am reconsidering another opinion. My Dr did confer with another Dr in his office and they both agreed on the no chemo. It does follow the NCCN guidelines. I of course will be having radiation. Have not seen any study that recommends chemo because of the size .3 cm and the stage. I am thinking that the chemo might do more harm than good. I would like to get started with rad as soon as I can
I do so appreciate you sharing your story with me. I will let you know.
My best to you. Be happy and well.
Anna32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anna32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 7:45am
I feel sorry for you. I have the same problem in my family and Doctor said the same, no chemo, because the size is smaller then .5. You should be happy, because chemo is the worst what you can get. 
Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 11:39am
Thank you Anna for that info. I hope your family member is doing well.
I have talked again to my MO and we had a good call. Yesterday I talked again to my radiation oncologist (I really love her) and she said that she was not surprise that no chemo was recommended because of the size of the tumor. She also said that at my age 72 the TNBC would not be as aggressive as on a younger woman.
I have decided to start my radiation and feel better making this decision in part because of all of you that have responded with info and encouragement. Nothing like hearing from women who are willing to take the time to share with me.
I will keep posting sending best wishes to my TNBC family.
I
rstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2017 at 5:38pm
Hi Cherylg. Ask your oncologist about CMF which considered a light regimen given to node negative patients.

Edited by rstar - Aug 30 2017 at 5:51pm
Cherylg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherylg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 3:55pm
Thanks rstar. I started radiation last week after lots of reading and talking to my Docs. Glad to get started.
Thanks to all of TNBC friends for the info and good wishes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic