FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nipple Reconstruction...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
booboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nipple Reconstruction...?
    Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 10:25am
Hi, everyone...shamefully, it has been quite a while since I have posted or even been on site. To be honest, I stayed away all summer to try and get this whole thing off of my mind for just a little bit.
I had my exchange surgery in April of this year (2009)and now I face whether to finish the process and go ahead with the nipple reconstruction or not. Most of me wants to leave  them alone but I do not want to regret not going forward (since insurance will cover it now through the end of the year). But somehow I just cannot face another surgery and recovery.  My loving, supportive husband is leaving it up to me and says it makes no difference to him - he finds me attractive with or without them, bless his heart! I have gotten used to not wearing a bra which is great but part of me wants to look as normal as I can too.  I fear surgery....I am way out of shape, overweight, my hair grew back really weird and feel ugly all over. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I have heard about the 3-D nipple tattooing...anybody done that or know about it? I would love to see some pictures.
Fondly,
Barb
Age: 48, dx 8/08 (at 46) trip neg , dbl mast 8/08 w/recon, stage 2, 2 cm, grade 3, 14 nodes (-), chemo 9/08-12-08 (Adriamycin/Cytoxin/Avastin)x4, Avastin trial cont.
unklezwifeonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklezwifeonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 6:48pm
I had no idea insurance could force you to have the procedure this year. I'd recommend you take opinions from couple of plastic surgeons and then go with your gut. Can't go wrong with that!

The nipple reconstruction and areola tattoing are minor procedures that are done in office under local anesthesia. So if it is major surgery you are worried about, you should have no worries about nipple/areola builds.

Edited by unklezwifeonty - Aug 31 2009 at 6:50pm
Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Grade: High. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. Kicked from E5103 due to Taxol reaction. Now on AC->Abraxane. Zometa (S0307).
booboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 3:33am
Thanks so much for your response.  It is not the insurance co. forcing me to have it...it is just we have met our deductible this year (imagine that...) and it would not cost us anything to have it done this year.   I love my plastic surgeon - he and his staff were fantastic, and did a great job on my reconstruction.  I do not fear the tattooing part, only the surgical part and going under anesthesia again.
Fondly,
Barb
Age: 48, dx 8/08 (at 46) trip neg , dbl mast 8/08 w/recon, stage 2, 2 cm, grade 3, 14 nodes (-), chemo 9/08-12-08 (Adriamycin/Cytoxin/Avastin)x4, Avastin trial cont.
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 1:02pm
Dear Booboo,

Nipple and areola reconstructions can be done under local.

Good luck!

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic