FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new...why me...radiation????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
patriple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patriple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new...why me...radiation????
    Posted: Nov 27 2017 at 12:53pm
Hi, I'm Periann and I was diagnosed in June of this year (2017) with stage 3 TNBC. I just finished my 4th and last AC on the 27th of October with the 12 weeks of Taxol prior. Taxol was a breeze!!!!! AC a different story. I am an otherwise healthy person, ate good, walked all the time, took my Juice Plus daily (God brought this to me for sure), so how on Earth did I get cancer???? 

My tumor was 19x15x18mm and is now 4x3x5mm, the lymph was 17x17x22mm and is now 10x6x12mm. The lymph didn't show any findings of cancer, however doc was still suspicious.

Now that I'm done with chemo, my surgery is Weds for a lumpectomy and removal of lymph node (s) as determined by the blue dye that will be injected into me. I guess that path that the dye makes will determine which node or nodes to removed. After surgery and time to heal I'm supposed to do radiation.

Anyone with any thoughts on radiation? I'm really worried about putting more radiation into my body. I have to do 6 wks Mon-Fri. That's a lot of radiation.

Thanks...by the way for anyone the Taxol was a breeze. I would do 100 of them before any of the AC. But, got though the AC recovery from each was about 7 days to feel like myself again. Taxol, made me tired and also drained my white blood cells.
Thanks, Periann
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2017 at 10:28pm
Radiation was the easiest part for me.  Surgery, chemo, CT scans, worry were harder.  Radiation is necessary with the lumpectomy.  It increases your chance of survival big time.  I got so very used to going to radiation everyday (6 weeks, five times a week) that I actually missed it when I stopped going.  It was very tolerable and very quick.  In and out in 10 min.  Give yourself the best fighting chance possible to be here 10+ years from now.  You have already done the hardest part.  

Be well, Penny
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2017 at 7:54am
Patriple,

Congratulations on finishing chemo!  Radiation will be much easier.  You want to do radiation to mop up any remaining cells that might be lurking.  Here are a couple of links to read about how it could help prevent recurrence:

NCCN Guidelines

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

patriple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patriple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2017 at 2:21pm
thank you both so much for your words of encouragement. I have decided to do the radiation. Starting in January. Pathology report came back with no evidence of cancer in any of the tissue or lymph nodes. Yay!!!! Cancer GONE!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic