New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - newly diagnosed TNBC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newly diagnosed TNBC

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Laurarev View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 16 2019
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline
Points: 31
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2019 at 12:27pm
ok, so if I’m understanding this correctly, the doctors at md Anderson only use CMF as a third option? This is after they’ve used the other types of chemo on a patient. Or was that just in your particular case? 
I’m sorry you had that “rare unicorn” recurrence 😢. I hope you’re feeling well now!! Thanks for trying to help clear things up for me. 
Back to Top
Laurarev View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jun 16 2019
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline
Points: 31
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2019 at 12:31pm
Ok, so if I’m understanding you correctly, the doctors at me Anderson only use CMF as a third option? This is after they have already used the other chemos on a patient. Or was that just for you in your particular situation? 
I’m sorry you had the “rare unicorn” recurrence😢 I hope you are feeling well now!! Thank you for trying to help clear up my confusion. 
Back to Top
AnneB View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: Jul 21 2019
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 2
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnneB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:02am
I am so happy that I have found this forum.  It has been a whirlwind 5 days since I was given the 'malignant' biopsy result and 3 days since I first heard that it is TNBC - and what that means.  The biopsy indicates that the cancer is between 7mm-9mm which the surgeon and oncologist tell me is good.  I feel like the surgeon is pushing me in the direction of a bilateral mastectomy because of the high recurrence rate, but the oncologist was pleased to hear that I'm leaning towards a lumpectomy.  I'd love to hear how each of you made the choices that you made between those two options.  

I have an 18 year old daughter who is about to leave for her first year of college and a 16 year old daughter who is about to leave for her junior year abroad to Norway.  It was no easy task to tell them of this diagnosis.  This is the time in their lives when they're supposed to be independent and selfishly enjoying these adventures - but their instinct makes them want to be here to take care of me.  I HATE THIS!!!

I meet again with the surgeon tomorrow.  I am not to the point yet where I am digging into chemo details because I need to first conquer the choice of a lumpectomy or a bilateral mastectomy.  

Again, I am so happy that I found this forum and the tnbc foundation website.  <3


Anne
Back to Top
Kellyless View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 18 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 1022
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:48am
Welcome Anne, so sorry you and your kids are having to go through this.
May I ask why you think you need to make a surgical decision now? You can wait until your through all of the testing they're going to do: a breast MRI to get a better measurement (ultrasound is not real accurate), genetic counseling and tests, CAT, Bone, maybe PET and others - then you'll have lots more info. With yours possibly being a CM or a lil less, your likely candidate to do chemo first, possibly killing all of the cancer, a pathological complete response. All of those those things will factor into a surgical decision. My advise is to just breathe, wait for all of the information to be gathered. Meet with the medical oncologist. Meet with the radiation oncologist. There's no reason at all to make a surgery decision now, when you've got so very little info. If any surgeon pressures you for a surgical decision before you've done all the tests and met the other oncologists I would consider a second surgical oncologist opinion as well. Yes, acting quickly with TNBC is important, but you've time to do it all the right way. The more info you have, the easier it will be to make a plan, a plan that will leave you with no regrets. 

PS: the high recurrence rate for our disease that is constantly mentioned is NOT for a recurrence in your breasts, unless you have a genetic mutation. The recurrence is elsewhere in your body. A successful full course of treatment, with either chemo & mastectomy, or chemo, lumpectomy with clear margins and radiation - do indeed have the same recurrence and survival rates. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Back to Top
123Donna View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Status: Offline
Points: 13074
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:31am
AnneB,

I echo everything Kellyless said.  If you have any doubts, please consider getting a second opinion.  For a small tumor, unless you have a genetic mutation or a family history of bc, you have more choices for surgery options.  Take a look at this study comparing surgery options for early stage TNBC:



DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.