FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly diagnosed and lots of questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly diagnosed and lots of questions
    Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 2:52pm
I was diagnosed in early December after a diagnostic mammogram showed microcalcifications. Stereotactic diagnosed Multifocal DCIS and IDC lower/outer left breast. I was told it was very early. They can't tell me the exact size due to DCIS and dense breast tissue. One enlarged node was biopsied and was negative. My med onc and surgical onc were at odds over whether to do chemo or surgery first. I went to MD Anderson for a second opinion, and neoadjuvant chemo was advised. The decision was made to do chemo first at my breast center. I did 4 dose dense AC, then had imaging. It showed a significant decrease. Breast center pushed to proceed with surgery, the reasoning was to not have me endure unnecessary chemo. I was told I could do Taxol after surgery if residual was 2 cm or less, and Taxol plus Carboplatin if residual was greater. I was also told I wouldn't be eligible for Xeloda then. I was uncomfortable with that and went for a third opinion. I'm now doing 12 weekly Taxol with Carboplatin every third week. I'm a mom and wife, still working full-time as a nurse manager of a busy unit. I'm hoping to hear from others who have survived a similar diagnosis. I'm thinking of having my surgery at MDA since I've already seen the surgeon there. I'm sure radiation will be advised due to the extensive DCIS.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 3:03pm
Forgot to mention BRCA negative and no other mutation despite having thyroid cancer two years ago. My thyroid cancer was low risk, very small, had thyroidectomy, no radiation required. My daughter also had cancer three years ago, Wilm's tumor. She's doing great!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 10:47pm
Hi MamaT,

So glad you got a second opinion at MD Anderson.  I went to them when I needed a second opinion for my recurrence.  Great place.

Check out this thread:

Adding Carboplatin to a Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Regimen in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Patients Boosts Pathologic Complete Response Rates

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2018 at 1:35am
Hello Mama T,
Your description sounds like my new occurrence. I had 18mm micro calcifications. My doctors opted for mastectomy first. Thank goodness they did because I also had DCIS 4 cm undetected by all tests and scans and reviewed by two radiologists. It was hiding.
Sounds like you're hitting it hard with chemo! Good decision.

Blair     

Edited by cheeks - Mar 29 2018 at 12:58pm
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2018 at 10:39am
Thank you both for replying! Will you be doing chemo following mastectomy?
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2018 at 12:36pm
Mama T,

Yes, I will be having chemo starting soon. This time I will have Taxotere and Cytoxin. Last time i had Taxol X 12 and A/C. I cannot have the red devil again and she does not want me to have Taxol again because of the high risk of neuropathy. So, a variation of Taxol and Cytoxin again. I have all my treatment at Vanderbilt in Nashville TN.
Hoping to get my drain out tomorrow!

Blair

Edited by cheeks - Mar 29 2018 at 12:59pm
Lump found 11/08
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2018 at 12:49pm
It's more typical to finish the full chemo regimen before surgery, once you've started. You stand a better chance of getting a full response,where no cancer is left alive that way - and that's the ultimate outcome. If you do the who!e regimen then still have remaining disease you should then be able to do Xeloda i think?

I also went to MD Anderson for my second opinion - love that place!
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2018 at 10:06am
Thank you Donna! Hope you're doing well!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2018 at 10:08am
Blair, I hope you sail through chemo with minimal side effects!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2018 at 10:09am
I thought so too. Thank you Kelly. I'm just wanting every opportunity to beat this.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2018 at 10:10am
Thank you MamaT. I appreciate your encouragement.

Blair
Lump found 11/08
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic