FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new TX plan approved by FDA for TNBC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new TX plan approved by FDA for TNBC
    Posted: Mar 09 2019 at 9:05am
 Dear

The FDA has approved the frontline combination of atezolizumab plus nab-paclitaxel for patients with unresectable locally advanced or metastatic PD-L1–positive triple-negative breast cancer.

Dear Beloved TNBC family, I rarely post but have continued to help folks on this forum. Someone may have posted this. My apologies if that is the case. I am a patient advocate working as a volunteer and I am not a medical professional so I am not recommending that anyone here with "unresectable locally advanced or metastatic PD-L1 positive TNBC" try this treatment but certainly I think it warrants a conversation with your oncologist. From past experience sometimes oncologists are not aware. 

with my best wishes and love to all here,
Steve

p.s. I don't know if this link can be downloaded. Had trouble doing it.

https://www.onclive.com/web-exclusives/fda-approves-atezolizumab-combo-for-frontline-tnbc?eKey=c3RlcGhlbms4OEBnbWFpbC5jb20=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ONC%20Breaking%20News%203-8-19&utm_content=ONC%20Breaking%20News%203-8-19+CID_06c314ece06224f53185a0230806de5e&utm_source=CM%20ONCLIVE&utm_term=READ%20MORE

Donna, someone, maybe you could help please so that this is easily downloaded? Thanks.

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 7:26pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 7:49pm
Thanks, Donna..
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2019 at 7:56pm

FDA approves first immunotherapy regimen for breast cancer

The US Food and Drug Administration has granted its first approval to an immunotherapy regimen for breast cancer, the agency announced Friday.
The treatment received accelerated approval for triple-negative breast cancer that is locally advanced or metastatic, that cannot be surgically removed and whose cells include a protein called PD-L1. It comprises a combination of immunotherapy and chemotherapy: Tecentriq and Abraxane, respectively.

The FDA's decision comes after an October study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that the therapy extended progression-free survival -- the amount of time in which a patient's cancer does not worsen. In the PD-L1 subgroup, the median progression-free survival for those receiving the combination treatment was 7.4 months, versus 4.8 months for those getting the chemotherapy with placebo, according to the FDA's announcement. The trial was funded by Genentech Inc., the maker of Tecentriq.

"This is the first time immunotherapy has worked in such a difficult to treat cancer, and is a huge step forward for these breast cancer patients," lead study author Dr. Peter Schmid of Queen Mary University of London said in an October statement.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Squirrel59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirrel59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 12:35pm
Hi,
I am new to the forum.
My sister has just started the Tecentriq for metastatic tnbc, had her 2nd dose last Tuesday.
Fingers crossed....
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 4:25pm
Hi Squirrel,

Welcome to a caring home. 

I am sure that our wonderful TNBC family shares my good wishes for your sister. 

warmly,

Steve
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 8:23pm
Steve, I want to take this opportunity to thank you and introduce you to all members, for Steve offered to call me locally here in San Diego at the depths of my wife's diagnosis and despair, offering to provide referrals to University/Cancer Centers for my wife. It was Steve's recommendations over the phone that prompted me to question my wife's oncologist at Scripps La Jolla about further genetic/molecular therapies. Because of Steve's insight, my wife was referred to Dr. Kurzrock at UCSD/Moores after exhausting the regular chemo (Taxol) regimes, as she had chemo containing Taxol in 2008, then again in 2016 when Steve and I talked...so now Dr. Kurzrock and staff are monitoring w/ PET scans every 6 months and have done genetic analysis and they are amazing scientists... so, again, I want to take this time to thank Steve for his generous advice.

Edited by gordon15 - Mar 18 2019 at 1:14am
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 10:55pm
Dear Gordon,

Thank you so much for your lovely words. Means more to me than you can imagine.

I have helped several hundred women from this marvelous TNBC family of ours, for almost ten years, but I always keep everything confidential, and shall; so the vast majority, here, are not aware. And I have been so busy with helping people with other illnesses (mainly other cancers in addition to breast), that I rarely post; but my heart remains with all of you and your families. 

Gordon, it is so heartening to know your bride is doing well. She and everyone here have been, are, and will always be in my prayers.

I feel honored, privileged and blessed to be a patient advocate. 

Thank you, again, for your kind thoughts.

with my love to all here,

Steve

Edited by SagePatientAdvocates - Mar 17 2019 at 10:57pm
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2019 at 3:52pm
I'm one of those hundreds that Steve helped, when I had my recurrence over two years ago. He got me an impossible to get appointment at MD Anderson with an incredible doctor. He was there for my first appointment, even going with my husband and I in to the appointment. It changed my treatment plan, which resulted in a pathological complete response to the chemo....which may have saved my life so - Steve saved my life Heart he was there at MDA for my appointment after I finished my chemo as well. I was SICK - he recognized immediately how poorly I was doing, he helped make the doctor SEE how I was, when I was just too dang sick to be my normal self and speak up. he's just the best advocate a patient could hope for. My husband and I love him, we are forever grateful he came into our lives.
December was my 2 year mark Steve :-) Right at the 2 year I was having a wretched back issue, so bad I was sure I had bone cancer. It was so bad I think my oncologist thought I did to o. I had a bone scan that came back all clear. It was kinda nice to have a clean full body scan as I passed the two years, I think I exhaled deeper than I had in a long time after that....
I had back surgery on Valentine's day tho. It's not fun, but piece of cake compared to the cancer BS. One more week of recovery and I will once again resume my normal life - the life that Steve helped save Big smile LOVE YOU Steve, we are so very lucky to have you as our TNBC guardian angel.
And Donna too, our other guardian angel. She convinced me to call Steve. Her encyclopedic knowledge of all things TNBC has helped so many over the last 10 years!  

IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Marymom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2019 at 7:47pm
This site and Steve have saved me.  I finally joined today, because I needed to say thank you to many of you. I was diagnosed 12/17/17, stage 1 TNBC node negative.  I would read this forum all the time.  I was so scared.  This forum taught me to ask questions and to become an advocate for myself.  I had my lumpectomy four rounds of ac and then 12 taxol and 20 radiation treatments that included four power blasts.  I was treated at Sloan and went through chemo well with no side effects.  I would read this forum everyday and just learn more and more.  So, thank you...I still read it everyday and am still learning.  Many of you gave me courage and taught me not to be afraid.   Soooooo many of you are very knowledgeable and so willing to share.  Thank you.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic