FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Stage IV Diagnosis - Looking for Answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
MothersDaughterTNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 2:35pm
Thanks Donna! Very interesting information!

So many options but so difficult to figure out the best trial for each individual.
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 11:50pm
Shannon/MothersDaughterTNBC,

Sending caring and good thoughts to your Mom and yourself.

Grateful for today.............Judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 12:11am
Aw thanks Judy!:)
Adnerb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adnerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 3:11pm
Hi Shannon,

How is your mom doing on the doxil?  Thank goodness her tumors were shrinking last time you wrote.  Please keep us updated.  I am also TNBC and going through treatment for my lung mets.

I wish you and your mom great days ahead!

Brenda S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 12:10am
Thanks Brenda!
My mom is doing well with doxil. It has been easier than Adriamycin so far. She had a few mouth sores but she thinks she might have eaten something a little spicy. She has her next chemo on Thursday. She is pretty nervous about getting the hand and foot issues. A lady at a support group she went to talked about how bad it was.

Depression and anxiety have been an issue but she had her medicine changed and will be headed to a psychiatrist tomorrow.

She will have another scan sometime after this next chemo. Praying for more shrinking or even NED!

What treatment are you on? I hope it is easily tolerated and very effective in taking out the lung mets.
Adnerb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adnerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 12:56am
Shannon,
I am on gemzar/carboplatin.  I am encouraged because the malignant pleural effusion seems to be getting better.  I have only had 3 treatments so far.  My first scan since dx of mets will be in November.  You are a good daughter to your mom.  And you are right, her attitude about this is very important.  I keep hearing that the more positive you are the better your outcomes are.  I had to go back on my anti-depressants.  They are really helping me at the moment.
I join you in praying for more shrinking, maybe even NED!!
Hugs,
Brenda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 2:52am
Brenda,
Glad to hear the treatment seems to be working. I've heard the platinum drugs work well against TNBC so I do hope it does the trick!

I hope you meet NED very soon! :)

Shannon
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 10:26am
Shannon,

My friend has been on doxil for an ovarian-type cancer.  When she gets treatment they have her put her feet and hands on ice packs.  It's supposed to help with the hand/foot issues.  

Here's a link to the syndrome and possible suggestions for avoiding it.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 6:11pm
Thanks Donna!

Hopefully she won't have any issues. She uses udder cream and puts ice packs on her hands and feet. I think she is going to keep ice chips in her mouth at the next treatment so hopefully she doesn't get mouth sores. We have heard about the B6 or Biotin so I think she may take that as well. Supposedly Adriamycin causes it too and she didn't have any problems with that one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 1:25pm
My mom is having a CT scan today to find out if the Doxil is working. She thinks the lump in her breast has gotten a little bigger so onc wants to go ahead and do the scan to keep her from worrying. She will find out the results on Thursday.

Prayers are greatly appreciated!
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 3:03pm

Hi MothersDaughter,     It is good that the Onc is doing the scan. Hopefully it is responding. Please let us know what happens. In the meantime I will be praying that everything is okay...God Bless, Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
Adnerb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adnerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 3:09pm
Shannon,
Prayers and healing energies go out to you and your mom.
Also hoping for the best possible scan results!!!
Hugs,
Brenda S.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 5:58am
Dear Shannon,

All here are in my prayers every night and I shall add a special one for your Mom. 

I know the anxiety/angst is enormous and my heart is with you both. 

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 1:24pm
MothersDaughter, is your mom planning on having her breast tumor surgically removed at some point? Not all oncologists recommend surgery, reasoning that 'the horse is already out of the barn', but there is research supporting an improvement in outcome.

From Annals of Surgery

Association of Surgery With Improved Survival in Stage IV Breast Cancer Patients

Faculty and Disclosures
  1. Abstract and Introduction
  2. Methods
  3. Results
  4. Discussion

Abstract and Introduction

Abstract

Objective: This study aims to examine the role of surgery in patients with stage IV breast cancer.
Background: Historically, women who present with metastatic breast cancer are not offered surgical treatment. However, recent reports indicate that surgery may improve outcome. Using a large database of women whom presented with stage IV breast cancer, we compared outcome of patients who had resection of their primary cancer to those who did not.
Methods: Of 16,401 patients, 807 had stage IV disease at presentation, and 395 survived >90 days and were included in this analysis. Clinical and tumor characteristics, surgical treatment, and survival were compared for the surgically versus nonsurgically treated patients.
Results: Two hundred and forty-two patients (61.3%) had definitive surgery for their primary tumor and 153 (38.7%) did not. Patients who underwent surgery were significantly older, were more likely to be white, more often had hormone receptor positive disease, had small primary tumors, and had fewer metastatic sites and less visceral involvement. The median survival of surgically treated patients was 27.1 months versus 16.8 months for patients without surgical resection (P <0.0001). In multivariate analysis, which included surgical treatment, age, race, estrogen and progesterone receptor status, number of metastatic sites, and presence of visceral metastases, surgery remained an independent factor associated with improved survival (P = 0.006).
Conclusion: Patients with stage IV breast cancer who had definitive surgical treatment of their primary tumors had more favorable disease characteristics. However, after adjustment for these characteristics, surgical treatment remained an independent factor associated with improved survival.

DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 1:14am
Thanks everyone! I will let you know the (hopefully positive) results on Thursday!

Dmwolf,
They haven't talked about surgery of the primary yet. She has widespread liver mets so I think they are trying to get them under control first. I do think surgery is a good idea but I don't know how her onc feels about it. Definitely worth a conversation though! Thanks for the study!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MothersDaughterTNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 5:59pm
So some pretty good news!

Primary tumors are stable. Cancer in lymph nodes went from 9x7mm to 12x8mm but they're not sure if it has actually gotten bigger. It could be the angle of the scan. All of the lesions on the liver have shrunk. One went from 7mm to 2mm and another went from 2.1x2.7cm to 1.6x2cm.

She will continue on doxil and have another scan in 6 weeks. If the lymph node continues to grow, they will radiate the area.

The oncologist was very excited about the results so today, we will count our blessings. We know things can change but we can breathe a little easier today.

Thanks for the prayers!
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 6:26pm
Great news, thanks for checking in!
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 6:52pm
Great news!  Hope the shrinkage continues.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 7:18pm

Wonderful, Wonderful       Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 9:56pm
YAY
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic