Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - Newly diagnosed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - Newly diagnosed
    Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 10:05pm
Hi, everyone... I'm glad I found this website after doing some research.  To tell you a little about me, I am 57 years old, and I found a lump in my right breast the weekend of October 17th.  I went to the Dr. on October 20 and was told it was probably a cyst.  Had a mammogram and ultrasound that Friday.  I was told that it wasn't a cyst, but a tumor.  I was referred to a local Breast Center.  I underwent a core needle biopsy and a breast MRI the following week and was told I had DCIS, that it was contained and very treatable.  The Dr. recommended a lumpectomy, sentinal node biopsy (I had 0 nodes affected) and radiation.  My radiation consisted of Mammosite, which I completed a week ago (still suffering from extreme pain in my breast from the mammosite balloon and the insertion location). 

The radiologist oncologist referred me to a medical oncologist.  I had my appointment with him on Wednesday.  I found out after receiving the pathology report after surgery that I didn't have DCIS, but Stage I IDC, that is triple negative.  I was told all along that I had DCIS, and that I would not have to have chemo. 

The medical oncologist said he is suggesting a very aggressive chemo regimen (Adriamycin & Cytoxan) every 2 weeks x 4; then 12 weekly treatments of Taxol.  He wants me to have a PET scan next week.

Needless to say, I am scared to death, and in shock.  I am single, but have been in a relationship for 2.5 years (we don't live together.. I live alone).  This has been very hard for him, and my mood swings have been terrible.Cry

Until I found this website and read a bunch of your posts, I didn't think I was going to go thru chemo treatment, but I see that is my only option.  I am terrified of the side-effects (hair loss, nausea and vomiting, and potential heart problems from Adriamycin), as well as caring for myself (cooking for myself and general household duties)..  My younger sister passed away 3.5 years ago from colon cancer, so I saw first-hand what chemo did to her.  I have also previously been treated for high blood pressure..

I am trying to remain positive, but am currently very depressed..

Has anyone else gone thru the above chemo regimen? 

Thanks for being here...

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 11:22pm
Hello Sethsnana,

I am sorry you had a reason to come looking for this site, but thank God it is here.

Man, it sounds as though you have been through the wringer for the past month, only to find out that there is more to come.

I did have the exact ACT chemo regimen you are speaking of. The only difference was my Taxol was 4 infusions every other week instead of the 12 weekly treatments you speak of.

I had a mugascan before the adriamycin to make sure my heart was strong enough. I also had a CT scan of the thorax, chest and liver before chemo to make sure nothing else was going on.

This triple negative diagnosis is frightening, but triple negatives are very receptive to chemo.   

They have some really good drugs to help with the nausea. In fact it is taken or administered along with the treatments. Emend is one that I took, along with some others. In fact, I never threw up a single time during my 4 months of chemo. I did feel some nausea at times, but not to the degree that you might think.

Losing your hair will be a challenge, but if your companion is a supportive type, he can make this a lot easier for you. With wigs, hats and scarfs you can make it through.

Also, if you work, have a church family or good neighbors you will probably be surprised at the help that is available. If someone offers help, accept it. Keep us posted as you take this "road well travelled".

I am not minimizing TNBC, but I hope some of my thoughts, experience and suggestions help.

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 11:56pm

Yes, Lillie... I have been thru a lot this past month, and it is already taking its' toll, but I'm trying my best to try to be positive and brave...

The thing that bothers me about the adriamycin IS the potential for heart failure...  There are heart problems in my family (mother and father)... Dad died of heart failure at the age of 67..  Mom had a heart attack at 49, but that may have been diabetes related (was never told she had diabetes until 10 years after she died at the age of 54).

I am wondering whether there is something that will work as well as adriamycin that won't be harmful to my heart..

Anyone else know of anything?

Thanks again, Lillie!
scared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 12:28am
Hello Sethsnana,

It is so frightening, and then you have seen a family member go through chemotherapy and their reactions to it.  And naturally it scares you.  We have been on that road that you will soon be walking on so I will tell you how we got through it.

Our treatment was 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, followed by a mastectomy, and 12 weeks of Taxol and finally 6.5 weeks of radiation.  

First thing we did was get a naturopathic doctor that assisted us through my wife's cancer journey.  Each phase would get her body responding and healing itself according to what she phase of treatment she would be going through (and we are him after treatment too).  

Your chemotherapy seems like it is slightly different doses and length of treatment.  So, our experience could be slightly altered and then of course everyone does chemotherapy differently and age plays a factor.

The effects of Adriamycin and Cytoxin will be cumulative, so each week will build upon the last week.  You may experience body aches at first and then constipation and diarrhea.  Mouth sores and brittle nails. Fatigue, will all be a factor.  Let's say your chemotherapy day is Monday.  On Tuesday all you would want to do is stay in bed and rest, Wednesday you will still feel tired and not care to do much.  Thursday you will have a little more energy than you did the previous two days.  Friday you may feel like getting out of the house for a short walk.  Saturday you would need to go further distance, and then stretch it out to Sunday.  Monday is treatment day and it is also the day that you will be feeling your best.

Taxol was NOT as bad as Ad and Cy.  Watery eyes can happen later on during treatment.  Numbness in fingers and toes can become a problem.  Generally you will have more energy than the first chemotherapy.

Hope this helps, what will help you are friends and family.  Funny books and movies could help too.  Wear comfortable shoes or slippers to treatment.  You will get through it and have a lot of support here.

Glad you found the site, and let us know what we can do, already in my prayers!

Da

As a side note:  It is time to get your medications listed in a program like Excel because every time you will go to treatment they will ask you what you have been taking.  Also start a list that shows all your expenses and keep a good record of those.
Wife diagnosed 7/08 stage 2B 4.78cm with 3 nodes. 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, Mastectomy, 12 weeks of Taxol, and 6.5 weeks of radiation.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 3:19am
Sethsnana,

Welcome and we're glad you found this site.   There are so many people here that will help you along your journey.  You've been through so much in the past month and probably seems overwhelming right now.  The more support and help you can get from family and friends will make it easier on you while you're going through treatment.  I was surprised by the friends and neighbors that would bring by a meal for my family after surgery or a treatment.  It really helps when you're not feeling your best. 

If you're concerned about the chemo regime, maybe you would want to get a second opinion from another onc.  Chemo isn't fun, but you can get through it.  Right now, chemo is the only weapon we have available for tn.  There are so many good meds, like Emend, they can give you before chemo and after to help with the nausea.  You're part of our family now and we'll be here for you.

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Donna Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 8:49am
Hello Sethsnana

I too am sorry you had to come searching for this site but it is also such a good thing that you did. There is so much info and experience amongst the people who are here. Second opinions are always encouraged and ask lots of questions. Especially about options that do not threaten heart damage and whether they are just as effective for you and your stage. Everyone tolerates chemo differently and you just never know what side effects you will get or how severe they will be. There are lots of remedies to manage any that you do get. Really have a good plan for nausea. I had Zofran, Emend and compazine (Stemetil) and used them in a variety of schedules. I never threw up once and had tolerable nausea for a few days after chemo. I could have added in decadron to help even more but just did not want to add more steroids. They kept me awake at night and I used a sleeping pill throughout chemo. You need your rest and for me I was sensitive to steroids. They did give me energy though. This is a tough time as you and your onc figure out the best plan for you. Ask for everything you need from family and friends and take any offers. People want to help. Ask questions on this forum as there are people that navigate the research literature very well to help answer those questions.

Donna Z 
Dx 03/09 TN, Stg 2a, gr 3, 1.7 cm Taxol X 12, FAC X 4, segmental mastec Sept 10/09,
1 pos/29, from Canada, Treatment MDAnderson, rads X 30 started Oct 29/09. Zometa start Nov 24/09
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 9:20am
Hello Sethsnana and welcome to this site. It's sad that any of need this site but I for one am sooooo happy it's here.

My treatment as you can see by my signature is the same as yours with one exception. I had DD Taxotere instead of the Taxol. They are about the same, both taxane drugs.
As you've already been told, everyone reacts differently.
The A/C is accumalative. The most problem I had with it was fatigue. I had very little nausea and when I did I took Compazine. Taxotere was easier but presented different side effects. I had trouble with Thrush and neuropathy. I had some neuropathy before cancer from diabetes but this was different for me. It felt like I was walking on golf balls. The balls of my feet seemed to swollen. My nails were also effected but not as bad as some..they just split so I kept them cut short and all was fine.
Hair loss is a given but it's doable. I bought a wig and only wore it 3 or 4 times. I used ball caps..pretty colors that matched what I was wearing. I put little flower pins on them to jazz them up. But everyone is different. You just do what is comfortable for you.
I'm sure your heart will be tested as Lillie said, I'm 67 and my heart did fine. I also have hypertension and that was okay.
I hope this, along with everyone's post help you.
Please visit our Scripture Support thread if that is something you need.
Love and Prayers,
Carol

St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
Ariana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 11:21am
I went throught this exact regimine except I am also getting Avastin. During the AC I had nausea and diarrea. I did not have vomiting (except when I got a stomach virus). The hair loss was hard but it started growing back during my taxol. During the taxol I had alot of bone pain. I was very fatigued and my white blood count stayed low during the Taxol. All back to normal now.  I started chemo May 11th and finished Sept 21st followed by 5 weeks of radiation. I am still dealing with the peeling skin from that. . I still get the avastin every 3 weeks.until mid April. Hang in there.
Ariana
34 at DX 04/01/2009
Mastectomy bilateral
DCIS IDC TNBC stage 3c grade 3, 18 positive lymph nodes
TX DD AC x4 Taxol x12
Rads x25 completed 11/16/09
BRCA 1&2 neg
Avastin X18 done :o)
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 1:39pm
Hi Sethsnana and welcome.

The beginning of this journey is a very hard emotionally and we fear what might be ahead for us.  I would like to suggest you do the best you can to focus on each day or each hour if you have to until you understand more clearly what your treatment will be like.

As others have said, we are all different, respond to chemo in different ways so it is hard to say what it will be like for you.  They have so many good things to give you to help with the side effects.

Getting Taxol once a week is supposed to be a good way to receive it.  You are getting a smaller dose each week instead of a bigger one every 2 or 3 weeks.

In regard to the Adriamycin please inform your Oncologist Heart Failure runs in your family and see if they can give you something else.

Get copies of all tests, scans, your original path reports, etc..  Keep a file for you to look over.

Please go to our TNBC News/Resource section and read the chemo tips we compiled here in the forum.

http://www.chemocare.com is a good website that explains the chemotherapies.

I began to keep a journal and would write down my questions for the next doc visit so I wouldn't forget.  Also do your research but be careful of your resources.  You will become empowered with your knowledge and we have found we are our best advocate.

Print off anything you find online that poses questions.

Also many suggest a second opinion.

For the stress right now I found a mild sedative helped me to get thru the early days and also you might want to pick up something to help you sleep.

Being diagnosed with cancer is not only a physical problem that needs tending it works on our minds so it also becomes an  emotional issue.  Being short tempered or crying, these are normal reactions, you've just been thrown a heavy blow.

Also please keep in mind we have long time survivors in this forum who are kind enough to stop by once in awhile to remind us it can be done.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 8:54pm
I want to thank all of you for being here, and for the  information..  It is very helpful..

I will work my way thru the information on the sites you provided, trip2...

Thanks for your support, I'll keep you updated, and if anyone else can provide anything else, it is much appreciated!

Renee

Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 8:55pm
I also forgot to mention that my tumor size was 1.6cm..

Thank you all!

Renee
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 9:07pm
Dear Renee,

Welcome to TNBC Foundation. I am sorry you have reason to be here but I am glad you found us.

Chemo is hard but doable. The hair will come back but for women it is one of the hardest things to ensure.

Many women here have had 4 doses of AC followed by 4 doses T. Some get a dose of T every 2 weeks and some get 1/3 a dose every week (what your doctor has suggested). These treatments are almost equivalent clinically, and if your body can take it, would be prescribed by almost all oncologists in the USA. You and the oncologist should be able to pick one of these without much rethinking.

For TNBC, this is the best chemo treatment available as of now. It will improve your survival odds as much as can be improved with the current options.

The other thing you can look into is some clinical trial. At the current time there are 2 trials you may benefit from:

1. For Avastin (ECOG 5103 - although enrollment is suspended it is expected to open soon)
2. For Zometa/Clodronate (SWOG 0307)

I am sure there are other trials too.

Good luck.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
SusanE1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanE1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 10:28pm
You've already received lots of good advice, so I'll just say welcome and tell you that I never had a moment of nausea with Taxol and Avastin.  You can do it!

Susan
Susan 62 1987 Stage 1   1/09 Stage IV bilat. mast. liver mets BRCA1+ Taxol & Avastin
8/09 NED
12/09 liver mets Taxol/Avastin
4/10 liver mets
11/22 Parp Car/gem
parp failed
2/2011 Ixempra
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 10:36pm
Dear Renee,

You may want to ask your oncologist why TC would not be enough. With 1.6cm tumor and no nodes involved, your chances are good to begin with. If you have reservations about Adriamycin, TC may be a viable option. Do let us know what you decide.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 10:40pm
Dear Renee,

I am very sorry you are dealing with this...cancer is very scary and everything you are feeling is normal from my perspective...

I am not a medical professional so please do not rely on anything I say but I have a a couple of thoughts..

-please make sure they used FISH technology to determine your HER2/neu status...about 10-15% of the time when FISH is done the HER2/neu negative status is found to be positive which may open up the possibility of using Herceptin. Many patients liek to get a second opinion on their pathology results and as part of that maybe the FISH can be done, if it wasn't.

-I am a great believer in getting a second opinion from a medical oncologist regarding the recommended chemo protocol for you. A second doc, ideally, will recommend exactly what your doc recommended. But sometimes a second doc will have a different perspective. If you are able to consider it I would try to go to a NCCN facility. The National Comprehensive Cancer Centers generally are quite familiar with TNBC and may recommend different therapies. I know it is a trip and an extra expense, but if at all possible, I think it makes sense. The Mayo Clinic has an excellent breast cancer program in my opinion as does Northwestern in Chicago. 

-also, do you have a history of breast/ovarian cancer in your family or early-onset prostate cancer. At times, that may indicate the BRCA mutation. If you do I would ask your oncologist about a Certified Genetic Counselor with a view towards counseling/testing. Perhaps this was mentioned already, or you may have been tested? If you were found to have the BRCA mutation that might affect your chemo protocol.

Renee, again I am not criticizing your oncologist's advice in anyway. I just feel, if possible, that it is good to get a second opinion...

good luck to you..we will be with you every step of the way and you shall be in my prayers..

all the best,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Juliadsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juliadsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 2:19pm
Hi Renee,

Welcome to this great site.  You'll find lots of info, love and hugs here!  I had Adrimycin, Taxotere and Cytoxin together every 3 weeks for 6 treatments.  Each treatment, I reacted differently so I just went with the flow and did my best to keep track of symptoms, meds etc.... I did have a muga scan before treatment to ensure my heart could handle the regiment.  It took me a full year after treatment to feel strong.  I took baby steps and hired a personal trainer and nutritinalist.  They helped me so much.  It was literally like learning how to walk again and I took it very slow.  My onc worked with my trainer and advised on how high and how long I could safely get my heart rate
up.  It was baby steps but I wanted to get strong again as safely as possible.  It's been 3 years since my diagnosis and I'm in great shape with no issues at all.  I'm checked every 3 months and have never had any problems.  (My 3 teenagers can hardly keep up with me now)!

Much positive energy sending your way!

Julia
Dx 11/2006, IDC/DCIS stage 1, triple neg, 5cm, 6 rounds ACT, 48 rads, 8 boosts, partial mast. Lymphovasular/veinous invasion present. No lymph node involvement.
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by steve steve wrote:

Dear Renee,

I am very sorry you are dealing with this...cancer is very scary and everything you are feeling is normal from my perspective...

I am not a medical professional so please do not rely on anything I say but I have a a couple of thoughts..

-please make sure they used FISH technology to determine your HER2/neu status...about 10-15% of the time when FISH is done the HER2/neu negative status is found to be positive which may open up the possibility of using Herceptin. Many patients liek to get a second opinion on their pathology results and as part of that maybe the FISH can be done, if it wasn't.

-I am a great believer in getting a second opinion from a medical oncologist regarding the recommended chemo protocol for you. A second doc, ideally, will recommend exactly what your doc recommended. But sometimes a second doc will have a different perspective. If you are able to consider it I would try to go to a NCCN facility. The National Comprehensive Cancer Centers generally are quite familiar with TNBC and may recommend different therapies. I know it is a trip and an extra expense, but if at all possible, I think it makes sense. The Mayo Clinic has an excellent breast cancer program in my opinion as does Northwestern in Chicago. 

-also, do you have a history of breast/ovarian cancer in your family or early-onset prostate cancer. At times, that may indicate the BRCA mutation. If you do I would ask your oncologist about a Certified Genetic Counselor with a view towards counseling/testing. Perhaps this was mentioned already, or you may have been tested? If you were found to have the BRCA mutation that might affect your chemo protocol.

Renee, again I am not criticizing your oncologist's advice in anyway. I just feel, if possible, that it is good to get a second opinion...

good luck to you..we will be with you every step of the way and you shall be in my prayers..

all the best,

Steve

Steve, most of my dad's family (2 sisters and 2 brothers) died of one type of cancer or another, but coming from the old "Italian" school, everything was "hush hush"... You never knew someone even had it, let alone was dying from it, until someone died... Even then, you never knew EXACTLY what it was from...  It was just crazy how all the dust was shoved under the rug LOL!  So, the answer is "yes" and "no".  Yes, there were some that died of cancer, but "no" I don't know what kind, except that the last one, my dad's brother, Joe, died from stomach cancer at the age of 90 (about a year ago).  He still has a living brother, and had a sister who died of something non-cancer related..

Thank you, everyone, for being here!

I just had my last follow-up this afternoon with my radiologist/oncologist...  He said everything from his standpoint looked very good..  (I asked him why I was still in pain, and he didn't have an answer.. said there was no visible infection...)
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Sethsnana Sethsnana wrote:

Originally posted by steve steve wrote:

Dear Renee,

all the best,

Steve

Steve, most of my dad's family (2 sisters and 2 brothers) died of one type of cancer or another, but coming from the old "Italian" school, everything was "hush hush"... You never knew someone even had it, let alone was dying from it, until someone died... Even then, you never knew EXACTLY what it was from...  It was just crazy how all the dust was shoved under the rug LOL!  So, the answer is "yes" and "no".  Yes, there were some that died of cancer, but "no" I don't know what kind, except that the last one, my dad's brother, Joe, died from stomach cancer at the age of 90 (about a year ago).  He still has a living brother, and had a sister who died of something non-cancer related..

Thank you, everyone, for being here!

I just had my last follow-up this afternoon with my radiologist/oncologist...  He said everything from his standpoint looked very good..  (I asked him why I was still in pain, and he didn't have an answer.. said there was no visible infection...)

Steve, I forgot to mention that they did a FISH test (I don't have a copy of it), and he said that was one of the other reasons he recommended the ACT chemo regimen..
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 1:14am
Renee,

I did only AC years ago but was a self employed single parent so worked the entire time of tx. I didn't find it all that bad.  Chemo is different for everyone though. I had a customer that did your regime, she too worked while doing tx.

Living alone if you are dealing ok with the chemo, will not be that big of a deal. Pace yourself and your energy. I found accupuncture helped maintain my energy level tremendously, Have someone drive you to and from chemo. agree when people offer to help. I think it was Pam that mentioned how people rally around. Especially those you least expect. I had people deliver dinners, plant my tomatoes, pick my kids up from events.

keep us posted.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
Sethsnana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethsnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by kirby kirby wrote:

Renee,

I did only AC years ago but was a self employed single parent so worked the entire time of tx. I didn't find it all that bad.  Chemo is different for everyone though. I had a customer that did your regime, she too worked while doing tx.

Living alone if you are dealing ok with the chemo, will not be that big of a deal. Pace yourself and your energy. I found accupuncture helped maintain my energy level tremendously, Have someone drive you to and from chemo. agree when people offer to help. I think it was Pam that mentioned how people rally around. Especially those you least expect. I had people deliver dinners, plant my tomatoes, pick my kids up from events.

keep us posted.

Thank you for sharing your experience with tx, Kirby...  I can only pray that my experience is the same as you and your customer's...  I live in a mobile home court, and unfortunately, I'm not that close with my neighbors, so nobody here knows about this...

My next step is getting my insurance company to approve the PET scan that my Dr. has recommended.. I called the insurance company today and told them I will be running out of short-term disability if they take too long to approve this.. I talked to a really nice nurse there, so she said she had put in a rush request..

My Dr. said that my treatment plan may change if they find something else on the PET scan, so I want to hurry to get it done... I have been on short-term disability, because of the radiation and surgeries I've had so far.  I may have to go back to work next week until I start treatment..  This whole thing is mind-boggling..

I have people I work with that have offered help, but I haven't needed it so far.. I guess once I'm in treatment, I will accept their offers!

Thanks, everyone!  I really appreciate all of the support and advice on this forum... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic