FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New and Scared

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 2:07am
Hi Maureen,

My stats are listed below. I always considered myself stage 1 but I see some with the same size tumor consider it stage 2. I was dx before they knew what TN was and chemo protocol was different then. I had only 1/2 the chemo they now give, no port, no nuelasta or steroids. Surgery first. This was also before dose dense. I just wanted you to know I am alive and well and almost 10 years out . I was dx at age 44.

They know so much more about TN now and the treatment it most benefits from.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 2:10pm
Maureen,
It's great that you are BRCA -.  I'm the first in my family to have BC, but not the first with cancer of other types.  I was 64 at diagnosis and my oncologist said it would have shown up by now if I was BRCA 1 or 2 +, so the testing wasn't done.  I wish it was done since there are lots of granddaughters and a sister and a niece in my family.  They all know to have mammograms early and do self exams.  This TN can grow so fast you could miss it if doing exams just periodically.  Mine went from nothing to 3cm in a month's time.  Chemo is usually very effective in our type of breast cancer.  Good luck with your treatment.
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
mom1030 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom1030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 11:22pm
I want to thank everyone who answered my post.  I am in WI just outside Milwaukee.  I am getting my treatment at Froedtert & Medical College of WI.  I am scheduled for an MRI 8-20-2010, I am in a study for TN but I am just getting the gold treatment nothing else.  I will let all know how it goes.  Can someone please explain what all the notes on the bottom mean ? I don't understand some of the information.
guygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 12:55pm
The notes on the bottom of the page is our diagnosis.  You list the date, the stage, the grade, what type of surgery you had and the type of treatment you are receiving.  You have to type this into your profile.
Age 50 DX: 6/3/10 IDC, Stg 1A Grd 3 1.9cm, KI-67 85%, lump. w/SNB, clear margins, lymph node 0/1, 4 cycles A/C (dose dense) every 2 wks, 4 cycles Taxol(dose dense) every 2 wks, 33 rads, BRCA 1/2 neg.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 8:09pm
mom1030,

To create your signature so that it shows up at the bottom of your posts, go to the upper left corner of the screen until you see "Member Control Panel".  Click on it and go to Edit Profile, scroll down until you see Signature.  Inside the box, type the information you want to appear and scroll down to the bottom to Save your changes. 

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 11:39pm
Thanks for posting your good results Kirby!!!!  That is fabulous!!!
I am so happy to see how long you have been "clear"!!!
I am not sure I will be able to say that but I sure hope so.
Your sister on the journey,
Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 11:50pm
Helen,

I just noticed your signature.  You found a new lump?  Is it the same breast?  When is your ultrasound/mammo?  I'm worried. ..

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

guygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 2:30pm
Hi all, just want to touch base and let you folks know that I am about to begin the 2nd part of my treatment.  I finished chemo on Nov 8 and will begin my radiation on Nov 30.  Can't wait for it to all be over with.  Had very few side effects from chemo, hope I do as well with the rads.

Thanks to everyone for all their support and prayers.  I pray for each of you every day.
Age 50 DX: 6/3/10 IDC, Stg 1A Grd 3 1.9cm, KI-67 85%, lump. w/SNB, clear margins, lymph node 0/1, 4 cycles A/C (dose dense) every 2 wks, 4 cycles Taxol(dose dense) every 2 wks, 33 rads, BRCA 1/2 neg.
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 2:44pm
Hello guygirl,

Rads are a breeze...you will be fine...might have some redness but there are creams that will take care of that.
Please join us on the Spiritual Support thread when you have time.
Love and Prayers,
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 3:03pm
Guygirl,

I posted an article a while back where they said Melatonin cream helps with the radiation burns.  Good luck to you.

Donna

zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 3:55pm
Guygirl,
Congratulations on finishing the chemo with such few bad side effects!  I haven't had radiation so can't tell you anything from experience.  Wishing you an easy time with it, too!
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
CiGi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CiGi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 6:02pm
Congrats Guygirl!  Radiation hasn't been bad so far.  Gone through # 4 today.  Much much better than chemo.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Let us know if you get tatoo'd or sharpee'd :) 
Age 40, 4/28/10 lumpectomy (3 cm) TNBC Grade 3 Stage 2 0/3 nodes, TAC 6x 3 week cycles start 6/15 finish 9/27, 33 rounds rads 11/22. BRCA1 & 2 neg. Lymphedema rt hand 8/14. Joint pain Dec 2010.
scared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 10:24pm
Sorry for the run around you experienced but it sounds like you are on the right track as you are going through treatment.  I like that you got a second opinion from an oncologist and then took all that information to yet another clinic.

You are the best person to determine which direction to rid yourself of the disease.  I like what you told your neighbor and that is what must do because there is a lot of b. s. out there and even though they are attempting help, they could be actually hurting your chance of surviving it.

How we coped:

There must have been angels guiding our treatment because we ended up with a great oncologist that specialized in breast cancer and is highly rated in our area.  With her the anchor of our team we got a good breast surgeon, radiation oncologist, and Naturopathic doctor.

It is vital as you see from having two doctors disagree on exactly what you have to come to an agreement so that you have the information you must have in order to get through it.

I am sorry for your situation, but I am glad you found a home here.  We are over two years out and I just want you to know that it is a long process, but you will get over it too.

Welcome aboard, people here are great!

Dave
Wife diagnosed 7/08 stage 2B 4.78cm with 3 nodes. 15 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, Mastectomy, 12 weeks of Taxol, and 6.5 weeks of radiation.
guygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 1:13pm

Checking back in.  Have had 14 rads and am doing well.  No burning yet.  Will only get 4 this week and next due to the holidays.  Should finish up around the 18th of January.  My eylashes are gone and my eyebrows are almost non-existent.  My hair is coming back in and it is soft and fine like a baby's.  Be glad when life returns to normal.   I thank God every day I found this site and I pray for you all every day.  Merry Christmas.

overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 1:26pm
Guygirl,
You are where I was right after Thanksgiving.  I have had some skin issues which started about 1/2 way through, but nothing terrible.  I am three away from being done!  Three weeks ago I had no eyebrows or lashes, but one day I looked and the eyebrows were there again.  Like my hair, they are coming in a bit wild.  The lashes are slower to return, but they are there too.  My hair has been much slower to come in than I thought it would be.  It's soft and fuzzy with a slight curl (and is very gray).  I had a dream last night that I decided to dye what I did have so that it could be seen. 

Good luck to you.

Lori
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 2:46pm
Guygirl you are almost done!  Happy holidays to you and your family..
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
guygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 7:09pm
# 25 radiation tomorrow and then I will have 8 boosts.  Am very pink and tender today, plan to stay home from work Thursday and Friday so that I don't have to wear anything irritating.  Be glad when this is all behind me.  I have been using Jean's cream at night and ALRA cream during the day.  I tried a cream called recovery cream, but it gave me a rash.  Sitting here in one of my hubby's big soft t-shirts.  Stay strong ladies, together we will prevail.
overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 7:16pm
guygirl,
I finished just two weeks ago, and I feel so much better.  Hang in there.  I still have some skin that breaks open if I'm not careful, but the swelling has gone down, and I hardly notice it at all.  Good idea to stay home and wear loose clothing.  I know that the best medicine was having nothing rub against my skin.

Radiation suprised me.  I thought it would be a piece of cake (and compared to chemo it was).  While it was going on, it got me down.  But, now that I am just a few weeks past it, it seems like it was no big deal.

Hang in there.  Once they stop zapping you every day, your skin will have a chance to heal. 

Lori

PS  Aquaphor was recommended by the rad techs.  It helped protect the open skin.  Also they let me use cortisone cream for the itch.  It helped too. 
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 11:42pm
My doc also had my use aquaphor for the worst spots.  But what actually helped me was aloe.  My hubby bought an aloe plant when I was diagnosed and planted it in the yard.  He would cut a fresh part  for me every other day.  It worked really really well.  Much better thn the aloe in a bottle, or the different creams and lotions and such they gave me at the doctor.
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
hhhh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 2:47am
Originally posted by snugltz snugltz wrote:

My doc also had my use aquaphor for the worst spots.  But what actually helped me was aloe.  My hubby bought an aloe plant when I was diagnosed and planted it in the yard.  He would cut a fresh part  for me every other day.  It worked really really well.  Much better thn the aloe in a bottle, or the different creams and lotions and such they gave me at the doctor.

how cute Big smile...he sounds incredibly supportive.

Edited by hhhh - Jan 06 2011 at 2:47am
Daughter of one of the most amazing women in the world...

she was diagnosed 8/2010, had lumpectomy, TAC X 6, rads.

52 yrs, stage 2A (3cm, no nodes), triple neg, grade 3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic