FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New and have question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Warrior55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 6:19pm
Hello Sunrise,

I was recently diagnosed with THE EXACT SAME as you......

TNBC with 1.1 cm tumor (as well as another cluster of DCIS) all in left breast; Grade 3 cell, BRCA-

I also was torn between total mastectomy (Women and Infants, Providence) vs. double lumpectomy (Dr. Susan Troyan, Dana-Farber, Boston). Dr. Troyan guaranteed me I would get the same results from either choice. 

I chose double lumpectomy and am so happy I did!! I only had to take 1 pain pill the 2nd day after surgery as felt so good I overdid it and needed only 1 pill at night to get comfortable enough to sleep. I have never looked back or doubted my decision. 

I was a total wreck and did not want any surgery at all so when offered the double lumpectomy, it was throwing me a lifeline and I grabbed it and went with it.

I joined a gym and am working out daily now.....trying to cut out the alcohol as drink way too much on Sat nights, and am eating lots more fruits and veggies, smoothies, etc. as never liked healthy foods. I love junk but have given up most of that as well. I am trying to do what I can to stop this from growing and from ever coming back.

I just agreed to chemo which starts May 4th......4 A/C and then 4 Taxol for a total of 8 treatments over 16 weeks. I will then have radiation which I find out tomorrow how much, etc. 

Listen to your body and sit in silence to see if you get the answers you are looking for.....best of luck to you!! I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right choice for you.

Hugs,
Cheryl
sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 10:04pm
Thanks everyone for all the reply's and kind thoughts.  I went away for the weekend to clear my thoughts and it helped allot.  I have a couple more questions for my onc then I will know what I'm doing a let you all know.  I do have a question for all of you.  What kind if experiences to you have with chemo?

Jackie
KristyLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KristyLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2016 at 12:20am
Jackie- Chemo is like pregnancy, people have vastly different experiences. Some people have every awful side effect, some breeze through and work full time. 

Nausea should be well controlled. It's not like you see on TV. They have tons of different drugs, so you may have to figure out what works for you, but you should NOT being throwing up.  

Don't run to the supplement store and buy everything on the shelf. Discuss any supplements with your doctor, because some can interfere with chemo. My Dr. didn't want me on anything during chemo. 

The fatigue was the worst part for me, it wasn't sleepiness, it was physical weakness and feeling faint, but I think I was worse than average in that department. You'll get through it, though. You'll see a cycle emerge and know which days will be the worst after each infusion, and you just begin to work around them. You'll get into a groove, and then..bam! It's over!

Accept help, you can use it and it makes people who love you feel good. The world won't end if you let some things fall through the cracks while you're in chemo, so don't try to be super-chemo-girl. Do little things that bring you joy, and be gentle to yourself. 

Sending hugs!
Dx 09/14 Stage 2 TNBC, Grade 3, 3cm, no nodes. BRCA1+ Neoadjuvant treatment: 4 AC/T, 12 Taxol, 4 Carboplatin. BMX Diep Flap Hyster 3/5/15. Path report PCR, no radiation advised.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2016 at 1:04am
Hi. There is a new lady who has had recurrence. She has posted in two of our forum discussions and no one has answered her . No she has posted under topic. "Options for recurrence" could some of you please talk to her. Her name is sharon
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2016 at 1:48am
Sunrise sorry I didnt say anything to you. Ive been reading the posts and didnt have anything new to add. I will say these tnbc sisters have been so supportive and helpful to me. I couldnt have continued without there support through this journey. Im getting cloze to the end of treatment. Its not easy as they have said but you can do this! Its worth doing. Fight it with us. None of us knows what the future holds but right now right here we are fighting this battle together and thats all that matters. We are not statistics we are individuals and we all have a chance to beat this. We will encourage you a long the way and help you to not give up. Together we can do this.
So welcome to the sista hood.😁
Beattnbc2016 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beattnbc2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 8:51pm
Hi Sunrise,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I'm glad you are asking questions and doing your research.

I am BRCA positive and one of three siblings to be diagnosed with TNBC. My youngest sister underwent a double mastectomy, oferectomy and ACT.  I'm happy to say she is cancer free 16 years later.  My second sister was diagnosed with TNBC at age 25.  She had a mastectomy of her right breast followed by chemo.  The cancer came back 10 years later, she had mastectomy of her left breast followed by Chemo.  She didn't get the oferectomy and now has ovarian cancer (15 years later).  Two different approaches -- two different outcomes. 

My tumor was on the chest wall and doctors suggested my best option was neoadjuvant due to the size of the tumor (need to shrink).  I opted into the Ispy2 trial and taxol once a week for 12 weeks, followed by AC every 2 weeks for 6 treatments.  I had residual cancer 20%, i had a double mastectomy then followed up with carboplatin and completed my last treatment in late January.  I also had oferectomy and breast reconstruction(diep flap) which ultimately i ended up with implants due to complications with scar tissue from a previous operation.  I had no reservation about the mastectomy since so many in my family have had breast cancer (including grandmother, aunts and cousins on my maternal side) i have learned it is the key to longevity for BRCA patients.  Like everyone else will tell you its a personal decision.  I'm getting use to my implants and will in a few months or so get nipples.  But honestly, for me it was a decision about what would give me the best chance for a long life.  My belief was and is an aggressive cancer requires an aggressive approach.

i will say that my issue with neoadjuvant is the staging.  The staging is a clinical assessment.  It's not 100% -- because they don't biopsy the lymph nodes until after chemo is administered--So chemo can kill cancer cells in lymph nodes and would not show up during biopsy-- instead doctors rely on scans and MRIs.   So if you are clinically assessed Stage 2, there could be lymph node involvement that is not showing up on scans, meaning you could be more advanced.  So that is the downside.  Always good to discuss with your doctor about pros/cons of each.

It's always good to get a second opinion. Believe and you will achieve.  BEST Of LUCK.  

Edited by Beattnbc2016 - Apr 26 2016 at 8:55pm
Dx 3/26/2015, TN,Brca1+, Trial+Taxol,AC,Double Mastectomy,Carbonplatin,Oferectomy, Reconstruction
sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 11:26pm
Thanks Beattnbc2016
Wow, your family has been through allot, what a strong family you are and very inspirational to someone like me.  Glad things are going good for you.  My Dr. gave me 3 choices and said there was no wrong way.  I chose chemo before surgery after allot of thought and research.  I start my chemo Monday May 2nd.  I'am ready to get started and kick this cancer out of my body.  
I believe and I will achieve!!!
Jackie

smurfs73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smurfs73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 8:02am
Sunrise,

Welcome Sunrise. I'm sorry you have to be here but just know that you couldn't ask for a better support group than these tnbc warriors. They are the BEST! They have been so supportive and helpful to me and so many others. I know that I could not get through all this without them..

I am so glad you were able to come to a decision about your treatment. Now you can move forward in your war against TNBC, in the direction of your choosing. Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead! 

Wishing you well,
Joanne 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beattnbc2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 11:33am
Congrats Sunrise,

You now have a plan and a wonderful attitude.  Just remember to accept all the help you can get from family and friends, stay focused on prize (a new healthier you), and when you have days that you just aren't feeling it -- reach out for support and encouragement.  Keep stress and negativity out of your life --- create a stress free zone.  Make a rule that Friends and family can only bring you positive information. 

All of that positive energy is already killing your cancer.  Go Cancer Killer -- You got this! I go back to work on May 2nd and will be thinking of you!!  DRINK your WATER, stay hydrated it will help...(try using lemon or frozen fruit in your H20).  

All the best -- You can do this! "Tee" 
Dx 3/26/2015, TN,Brca1+, Trial+Taxol,AC,Double Mastectomy,Carbonplatin,Oferectomy, Reconstruction
sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 10:32pm
Smurfs73
Love that saying Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead, made me smile!!  Tee, never thought of putting frozen fruit in my water good idea thanks.  I'm not much of a water drinker so I will try anything to help me get it down.  I found out today that I will have a Muga scan tomorrow (had to look that one up).  My port will go in Friday and my first Chemo will be Monday.  Gotta admit I'm a little scared but on the other hand can't wait to get started and get closer to seeing the end. 

Keeping those positive thoughts
Jackie
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 1:32am
Good for you Sunrise. Just take one day at a time. The begining of the climb up this tnbc mountain. All of us together are climbing. You are not a lone. Celebrate each victory a long the way. I would by myself a little treat at a coffee shop before or after treatment. To celebrate one step marked off.
Hugs
Ginie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beattnbc2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 11:02am
Sunrise,

Good luck with the port, it definitely makes getting chemo a lot easier.  Don't be alarmed if it takes a bit to get used to it, but after a short while you don't notice its there.  I'm sending oodles of positive energy and prayers your way.  Lots of good ideas from TNBC sisters -- especially about celebrating each accomplishment. I took pictures of my transformation and kept a journal.  It helped me express how I felt.  BECAUSE no matter how much someone "who" doesn't live it says they know how you feel they don't.  Now I read my journal, what an amazing journey and see my pictures and feel like I've conquered the world. I feel so much stronger and now that my hair is growing back, its curly and short (it was always long and straight), I kinda like the short hairdo.

Go warrior princess! You got this!  Clap

Tee

Edited by Beattnbc2016 - Apr 28 2016 at 11:03am
sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 5:53pm
Good idea Tee and Gina Thanks!!!  
Muga scan done and behind me!!!  Thanks for all the positive thoughts and encouragement.  Will let ya all know how the port goes tomorrow.

Hugs
Jackie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beattnbc2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 6:06pm
Sunrise,
Lots of luck tomorrow with the port.  Celebrate the fact you got the scan behind you.  Baby steps... but each one is a cause for celebration and soon you will be at the end of this looking back, saying I DID IT!!! Clap
Keep me posted,
Tee

sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 6:09pm
Thanks Tee,
Love your Attitude!!

Positive thoughts
Jackie

sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2016 at 3:57pm
Hey everyone
Had my port done yesterday it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Went to work for a half a day today now think I'll take a nap.  Two things done and onward to chemo which starts monday.  There is a lady on here desperately looking for help, I really don't feel experienced enough to help her.  If one of you could answer her questions that would be great.  Thanks.  
staying positive
Jackie
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 12:39am
Glad all went well Sunrise. Its kind of a relief to finally get started on treatment. Each step is one step closer to done. The top of the mountain we are all climbing.
Rest well my friend
S@ndra19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S@ndra19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2016 at 11:55am
Hi wanted to find out about ixempra Chemo does anyone have information or is on it
S@ndra19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S@ndra19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2016 at 12:03pm
Hi does anyone have information and has taken ixempra and xeloda
romnessprite2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romnessprite2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2016 at 1:18pm
Hi. Im going to start xeloda next week. There is another discussion group on the main website here where they are discussing xeloda in depth. At the top of the page there is a search you can do. That will pull it up.
Stage 3A. TNBC Diagnosed 9/15/15 2cm grade3. 4AC & 12taxl .double mastectomy3/8/16. 25 rads finished6/2. xeloda started 7/7/16 stopped xeloda because of side effects7/14/16. BRCA+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic