Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

neupogen vs neulasta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsLyons View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsLyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neupogen vs neulasta
    Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 11:55am
Hello all,

I hope this message finds you all geared up for a relaxing weekend.

Well, I've made it through all four rounds of AC and I've moved on to Taxol. Throughout AC, I went back to the oncology center to get the Neulasta shot. However, they were hoping I wouldn't need that with the Taxol. It seems my body has a different opinion and my WBC is pretty low. They allowed me to have treatment yesterday, which made me happy. I felt so badly for a girl that came in and was sent home as her hemoglobin was below six. She was going to get her last AC. I hope she ends up getting a boost and can get treatment next week.

However, my question to the community is about Neupogen. Due to my low WBC, my doctor has me coming back in today and Monday to get the Neupogen shot. I am happy to do this, as I know it will help ensure I can keep my treatments on schedule. However, I am curious what the side-effects are? Are they the same as the Nuelasta? I had heard they weren't quite as severe. I really hated that Neulasta shot. I was grateful for it, but I hated it. My bones ached something fierce.

What have been your experiences with the Neupogen?

Thanks so much,
Tina
DX IDC TNBC 11/10 age 32, Stage 3a, Grade 3, 3.5 cm, 1/9 nodes, Right, KI-67 91%, BRCA-1, ACx4 (12/13/10) followed by TXx12, BMX w/expanders (6/1/2011), Rads begin 7/11/11
harbin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harbin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 6:25pm
Hi Tina, I am currently getting both neupogen and neulasta. I don't have any obvisous side-effect for both (only slightly pain on neulasta). If you had side-effect for newlasta, you might have side-effect for neupogen, but I would think it should be much less.
4/08 dx IDC,stg2,neg. nodes,4xAC,8xTexol& Avastin,BRCA-
3/10 Recurr Chestwall,surgery
6/10 Lung mets
10/10 Parp
05/11 Surgery on 2 lung nodules
08/11 Parp failed
10/11 Cyberknife 1 lung nodule
johnmc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 6:37pm
Hi,
Neulasta is just long lasting Neupogen.
Claritin - the over the counter allergy pill - 10mg dose- if started the day you get the Neulasta
and for about 7 days after can greatly alleviate the bone pain from Neulasta. Not all oncologists
may be awareof this or  they may have neglected to tell you about it.
 Nobody knows why it works but it does. Check it out with your oncologist.
A friend of mine who is an oncologist in Philadelphia told me about it when my wife was first diagnosed three years ago. He told me they were using it on transplant patients who needed neulasta because of the immunosuppressive therapy causing low counts.
My wife's oncologist was not aware of it at the time ( 3 years ago) Now my wife hears the onc nurses recommending it all the time to other patients getting neulasta.
John
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 7:46pm
John's advice is good on the Claritin.
I'm curious, it seems there has been a change in useage of these drugs. When I was going through treatments they gave me scripts for vials to take home and give myself a small shot 5 days a week of the Neulasta.

At the time, nearly everyone on the board here was taking Neupogen and having the shots at the doc's office. I noticed a fair amount of members mentioning bone pain from the shots while I was having none.

Now I see both being used but I don't hear of people getting the smaller doseages to take home and self administer and I wonder what happened to change that philosophy as I'm always a fan of smaller doses of anything I have to take...
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 7:54pm
I was told Claitin D, not plain Claitin. Not sure why tho
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
johnmc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 8:04pm
mainsailset,
You sure you were'nt giving yourself five daily shots a week of neupogen?
Neulasta is long acting so wouldn't seem to make sense giving it every day -it lasts up to two weeks - in fact it should not be given if less than 14 days till your next chemo.
That's why they substitute neupogen. If your getting chemo every week - can't use Neulasta.
If your chemo is 2 weeks on, 1 week off then you could get neulasta 24 hours after your last chemo( because there would be a 2 week gap before your next chemo), but if your counts were low after week one, you would have to get Neupogen shots. I think that's the way it works.

John
johnmc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 8:07pm
Snugltz,

It's Claritin 10mg - Not Claritin D.
The "D" in Claritin D is a decongestant. Not needed to prevent the bone pain.

John
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 8:18pm
Tina,
I used Neupogen when I was on A/C.  I had it 10 days out of 14 days in between chemo.  I gave myself the shots at home.  My onc only used Neulasta if Neupogen didn't work.  It always worked for me.  It did give me bone pain.  It was explained to me that it was the bone marrow expanding to make more white cells.  It helped me mentally deal with the pain.  I didn't know about Claritin at the time.  I had Percocet to take if the pain got too much.  I didn't need it very often.  I never needed any Neupogen on Taxol.  My levels got low, but not too low for chemo.  Good luck.
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 8:44pm
John,

You are correct about the Neulasta shot vs Neupogen and taking Claritin (not Claritin D) to relieve the bone pain. 
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 11:39pm
Sigh. Yes John it was Neopogen. I am a lost cause
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
clwille708 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clwille708 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2011 at 11:15am
I have been on Neupogen for all 8 of my chemos, both AC and Taxol, for 10 days out of 14.  I gave myself the shots at home once a day.  (Only two more shots to goSmile).  I had very very little pain from the neupogen.  My white cells have stayed AOK throughout.  The Taxol gave me more joint pain, but this has been easily controlled with acetaminophen.

It's snowing again.
Linda from Ontario
Dx Aug/10,age 62, Lump & SNB Sept/10,1.7 cm, grade 3, Triple Neg, Nodes clear. Annual screening due to family history of Ovarian C. BRCA - Chemo DD AC -->Taxol 21 Rads done. Hugs -Linda
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2011 at 12:05pm
Hi Tina, Helen here.

I was on Neupogen injections for 7 days the day after chemo of CT every three weeks x 4.  My WBC's went so low I missed the scheduled every three weeks for three of the infusions which pushed me over one month between chemo's and the bone pain was unbelievable. 

I didn't know about the Claritin at that point, but took pain meds and Tylenol to be able to move.  When it was finished, I was too happy! I found that by day two of the injections (which I gave myself) I had to fill the rest of the syringes for the following five injections because I was too shaky to get them filled. 

Good luck to you my dear, I wish no one had to take this!!! Your sister on the journey, Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
MrsLyons View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsLyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 9:32am
Thank you to everyone that replied!! I definately felt some pain and discomfort on the neupogen and I get to go back get another one today. But, if it allows me to keep my treatment going and get through this faster, then I'm all for it!! I am just hoping that my WBC are still being slammed from the AC I finished about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully, once I 'm in the middle of this Taxol, I won't need the Neupogen anymore.

You're all amazing...thanks for the support!
Tina

DX IDC TNBC 11/10 age 32, Stage 3a, Grade 3, 3.5 cm, 1/9 nodes, Right, KI-67 91%, BRCA-1, ACx4 (12/13/10) followed by TXx12, BMX w/expanders (6/1/2011), Rads begin 7/11/11
Desaree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 1:03pm

Hi Tina,

I've been given both neulasta and neupogen...neulasta when I was doing chemo every other week and neupogen during weekly chemo.  I had bone pain with both.   I had to have neupogen shots throughout my abraxane treatments (taxol similar) but I was also doing radiation at the same time which also lowers white counts.  I coped with the shots and pain knowing that they allowed for me to limit delays in treatment.  Hang in there.

Dx@41 yrs 5/5/10,, Gem/Carb/Parp failed, quadrantectomy 8/13/10 Stage III, grade 3, 0/11 nodes+, DD 4AC-12Tax 9/8/10, Allergic Tax,Abraxane (10) start 11/22/10, finished 2/18/11+ 33 rads done 2/8/11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic