Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MRI vs Mammograms for High Risk Screening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MRI vs Mammograms for High Risk Screening
    Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 7:59am

Bi-annual MRI beats mammograms in detecting breast cancer among women with genetic risk

Intensive surveillance including a dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (DCE-MRI) exam every six months was far more effective in detecting breast cancer in younger women with a high-risk genetic profile than an annual mammogram, according to a research team based at the University of Chicago Medicine and the University of Washington, Seattle.

The results, presented Dec. 8, 2017 at the annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, suggest that for this population, intensive efforts to "downstage" aggressive breast cancer by finding small early lesions in women with high-risk mutations are crucial to improving outcomes.

"This study demonstrates, for the first time, that aggressive breast cancers can be caught early, without excessive recalls or biopsies," said Olufunmilayo Olopade, MD, a distinguished service professor of medicine and human genetics and director of the University of Chicago's Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics. "Because of intensive surveillance and high quality care the majority of high-risk women in this study--most of whom had highly penetrant genetic mutations--have not developed breast cancer."
To read the entire article:
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20171211/Bi-annual-MRI-beats-mammograms-in-detecting-breast-cancer-among-women-with-genetic-risk.aspx

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lucky22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 8:22am
Great article. My cancer was initially discovered by micro calcifications, which I’m not sure can be seen in an MRI? But truth is, if they’d done the MRI first, they would have seen the actual tumors!
Unfortunately, it all comes down to insurance. My follow up care is supposedly going to be just a mammogram- heck no! Mammo didn’t show tumors - the US and MRI did. I’ll fight that fight when it comes
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 9:10am
My insurance at first said Mammos only post treatment, my doctors fought them and I got Once a year MRIs and once a year mammos (every 6 months) for the first 3 years. After that, recurrence in the breast is exceedingly rare. I know this is true because when my recurrence happened 9 years later it was like they'd found a unicorn, seriously.
And when the recurrence happened, I just "knew" it was baxk. They didn't see it on mammo or ultrasound. My surgical oncologist said she believes survivors when they feel strongly like I did, so she ordered a breast MRI with contrast. Insurance denied it. I did it anyway. And there it was. Insurance agreed to pay _after_ biopsy confirmed what it was American healthcare, killing people on the regular for profit.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 10:41am
Kellyless' story is such an important one. When an insurance company declines, that's not the end of the road. There are ways to fight back, appeals that can be made and pressure that can be applied by the oncology team. Generally it's my understand that your clinic's social worker and their finance department can lend a hand navigating an appeal.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic