FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mother in law diagnosed this week.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lmyamen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmyamen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mother in law diagnosed this week.
    Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 1:30pm
Well this has been a quick turn of events in our lives. My mother in law who is 61 and has been a very healthy person just got her TNBC diagnosis this week. She felt a lump about 10 days ago doing a self exam, went in got a biopsy and found out it was caner.

met with the Oncologist today and was told the news that it was triple negative and grade 3. From what i understand she is stage 1 (from what the surgeon said on her visit prior to the oncologist). She has a small tumor in one breast but nothing has spread to the lymph nodes yet.

The plan will be 6 months of chemo followed by either a lumpectomy and radiation or a mastectomy. Below is the info my wife gave me from the visit.

Chemotherapy: Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide every 2 weeks - total of 4 doses. Neulasta (immune booster) day after each cycle.
Paclitaxel weekly for total of 12 doses.

Anyone on here had a similar diagnosis and how were your results with a plan like this?

I have never had anyone in my adult life close to me have Cancer and we are extremely close with her Mom and Dad. I am having a hard time clearing my mind of fears and with the triple negative diagnosis I feel like my head is spinning with all the research I am doing. Any advice on how to be there for her while she is going through all of this? My wife is also due in 3 months with our first child so it has been a strange time now trying to be really happy about our child but her moms cancer is also consuming our thoughts.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 11:05pm
I was stage 2 grade 3 in May of 2017. Had same chemo regimen followed by lumpectomy and radiation. I did have a complete response to treatment. The worse side effects for me were tiredness. I was able to go back to work while on taxol and radiation but stayed home when I needed to. I wish your mother in law well!

Edited by Lisa s - Nov 30 2018 at 11:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic