Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metastatic TNBC and Nanoparticles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metastatic TNBC and Nanoparticles
    Posted: Nov 13 2017 at 2:28pm

Possible New Treatment for Metastatic TNBC

[But thanks to the Department of Defense’s grants and the Good Manufacturing Practices facility housed within the Houston Methodist Research Institute, Ferrari and his team will be able to accelerate the process of completing safety studies, filing an Investigational New Drug application with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and conducting Phase I and II clinical trials with 46 metastatic TNBC patients within four years.]

A multidisciplinary team of researchers and clinicians at Houston Methodist received nearly $16 million from the U.S. Department of Defense’s Breast Cancer Research Program to fast-track a revolutionary new drug that could potentially provide a long-term cure for metastatic triple negative breast cancer (TNBC).

Nanoscientist Mauro Ferrari, Ph.D., president and CEO of the Houston Methodist Research Institute, and his team of biologists, clinicians, pharmacologists and engineers, have spent seven years researching and developing a nanoparticle drug—an injectable nanoparticle generator polymeric doxorubicin, known as iNPG-pDox—that tricks metastatic growths into producing tumor-killing agents.

In preclinical cases, iNPG-pDox cured an unprecedented 50 percent of TNBC with metastases to the lung and liver in mice models. If these results successfully translate to humans, Ferrari explained, that would be equivalent to approximately 24 years of long-term, disease-free survival. Although the other half of the cases were not cured, the drug was still able to shrink metastatic tumors, allowing the mice to live three times longer.

“By having an impact on liver and lung, we could literally save the majority of metastatic patients. Nobody has ever cured metastatic disease, so this is an exciting opportunity,” Ferrari said.

A painful journey

Because of increased awareness, early detection and more advanced therapies, the survival rates for female breast cancer patients steadily improved between 1989 and 2015. Stage 0 or stage I breast cancer patients have nearly a 100 percent 5-year survival rate. Stage II patients have a 93 percent 5-year survival rate. And stage III patients have a 72 percent 5-year survival rate. However, once the cancer has metastasized to other parts of body (such as the lungs, liver and brain), the 5-year survival rate drops to 22 percent.Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women, behind skin cancers. The American Cancer Society estimates approximately 252,710 new invasive breast cancer cases and about 40,610 deaths each year.

Chances of survival are much bleaker for patients with metastatic TNBC, a more aggressive form of breast cancer that has a higher recurrence rate after treatment. TNBC is called “triple negative” because it tests negative for estrogen receptors, progesterone receptors and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2. These receptors are responsible for the growth of most breast cancers and are often what doctors target to treat the cancer. Because they are not present in TNBC patients, treating their cancer is akin to taking a shot in the dark.

To read the entire article:

http://www.tmc.edu/news/2017/11/tricking-cancer/

Edited by 123Donna - Nov 13 2017 at 2:30pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2017 at 12:08pm
When I was at MD Anderson for my 2nd opinion, we were discussing my chemo options. I said something like, I know I've already had my lifetime limit of Adriamyiacin.... Dr. Valero said, no, not necessarily. We don't want you to have more, but in a stage 4 situation we may use it, perhaps in a different way. So we keep that tucked in our toolbox. I said, perhaps via nanoparticles? He replied, I think some time in the not too distant future that is was we'll be using. These studies are so promising! Thanks for posting Donna!
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic