Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MBI quadruples detection in dense breasts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MBI quadruples detection in dense breasts
    Posted: Jan 25 2015 at 10:48pm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150123101604.htm

Molecular Breast Imaging (MBI) is a supplemental imaging technology designed to find tumors that would otherwise be obscured by surrounding dense breast tissue on a mammogram. Tumors and dense breast tissue can both appear white on a mammogram, making tumors indistinguishable from background tissue in women with dense breasts. About half of all screening-aged women have dense breast tissue, according to Deborah Rhodes, M.D., a Mayo Clinic Breast Clinic physician and the senior author of this study.

MBI increased the detection rate of invasive breast cancers by more than 360 percent when used in addition to regular screening mammography, according to the study. MBI uses small, semiconductor-based gamma cameras to image the breast following injection of a radiotracer that tumors absorb avidly. Unlike conventional breast imaging techniques, such as mammography and ultrasound, MBI exploits the different behavior of tumors relative to background tissue, producing a functional image of the breast that can detect tumors not seen on mammography.

Edited by mainsailset - Jan 25 2015 at 10:50pm
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 11:26pm
Dear Mainy,

thanks for your insightful post.

Mainy, do you have any idea how readily available this technology is and are cancer centers integrating MBI into their surveillance protocols....and are insurance companies picking up the tab. Obviously, they should...doesn't mean that they are.

Hope all is well with you and wishing you as good a New Year as possible and that goes to all here, as well.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 8:31am
Hello Steve
All I know is from the article but it seems likely that this study is a good step that facilities outside of Mayo would take into account when looking at their 2016 budgets. The article says that there are 20 states which require notification to patients that they have dense breasts. The MBI is meant to be used as a supplemental service used during regular mamo visits. It apparently does not produce unacceptable high increase in false positives.
I would think that most women going in for an exam wouldn't have a clue that they have dense breasts until a tech informs them nor would they know that they could benefit by this new technology.
In that regard, your question is the very best because it's an incentive for members here and our families to get the ball rolling by asking our oncology teams to add it onto their wish lists for their own facilities.
Good to see your new and well deserved moniker Steve, where are new pics of grandchild???
My family is working on outreach to members of family through geneology to find cancer links. It's part detective work and so far been tremendously rewarding. Take care dear friend. Mainy

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 9:26am
Dear Mainy,

I will send you new pictures privately, today. My daughter asked me not to post pictures of him on the internet and that probably makes sense and I shall respect her wishes. Monday was my 71st birthday and I was sitting on the couch and my adored grandson, now three and a half came up to me and said in a loud voice..."Grandpa, we have a surprise birthday cake for you..are you ready?' Everyone in the house cracked up as they were all waiting behind me holding the cake with three candles on it. 

I asked him to help me blow out the candles and he immediately blew them out while I was puckering my lips and again we all laughed when he said "I did a good job, huh, Grandpa?" and so he did...Mainy this child continue to bring balance and joy to my life. With all the personal loss I have endured in my lifetime and the continued losses each year I experience through my advocacy work I still feel truly, truly blessed to be able to do the work I do. I feel I have a 'calling' to do it and I need to follow my heart for as long as I can. 

And I feel comfortable sharing with all here that I will be a grandfather again...another little boy in June. My youngest daughter just entered her 20th week so halfway there. We are over the moon with happiness. My daughter, SIL and grandson have been living with us since November 1st. They bought a house with a move-in date of March 15th so they have been staying with us to save some money. It has been a joy to be able to spend so much time with them. I miss them already. They will be 20 minutes from us so we will still see them a lot...sooooooooo excited about the baby. 

Mainy, I will follow up with some oncology/radiology friends regarding the new equipment. Thanks again for the info. I will be having dinner at John Hopkins next week at their second opinion breast clinic and will check with them and report back. Thanks again for the info.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
kmwhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmwhope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 10:27am
I go to Johns Hopkins and when I went 2 weeks ago for my mammogram they asked if I was willing to pay an extra $50.00 for the 3D mammogram ..is that the same thing? I did pay extra figuring I want to know all I can at this point..they said it was new equiptment...just wondering...and Congratulations Steve we have 2 grandsons and they are so sweet ..4yrs and 18months ..live a mile from us and we see them a lot..love it ..always lifts my spirits when I hear them hit the door...thanks Kathy
age 58 dx Feb14 stage 1A grade 3/ had lumpectomy Mar14 1.8 clear margins no nodes// involved..4 AC/12 Taxol//Brac neg
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 1:01pm
Dear Steve,
OH JOY! Family near by.... new baby on the way...

Hope all is well with you. 71 is not old. I just turned 74 on Jan. 9th and I'm not old...

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 4:20pm
kmwhope, I don't think it's the same thing. The article gives a different description and it sounds like so far it is proprietary to Mayo Clinic. You could call and ask? That would give you a good opportunity to see if JH is considering adding this machine to their patients???

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2017 at 1:35pm

Abbreviated Breast MRI May Be Additional Screening Option for Dense Breasts

Among women with dense breast tissue, for whom traditional mammograms are less effective at detecting cancer, who request additional screening after a negative mammogram, abbreviated breast MRI (AB-MR) may be a valuable cancer detection tool. In a study of 195 asymptomatic women with dense breast tissue who had a negative mammogram within the previous 11 months, AB-MR detected five additional cancers after a negative screening mammography, according to preliminary findings from a Penn Medicine team presented at the Radiological Society of North America annual meeting in Chicago.

To put this in perspective, the cancer detection rate of mammography is roughly 4 cancers in 1,000 women who have a mammogram. Digital tomosynthesis (DBT), or 3D mammography, does slightly better, detecting approximately 25 percent more cancers, or roughly 5 cancers in 1,000 women screened. Based on the preliminary results at Penn Medicine, the cancer detection rate of AB-MR screening is 25 cancers per 1,000 patients. One in eight women in the United States will develop breast cancer at some point during their life.

"Having dense breast tissue makes it more difficult to detect a cancer on a mammogram," said the study's lead author, Susan Weinstein, MD, an associate professor of Radiology and the director of breast MRI at Penn Medicine. "Based on the literature and our results, women with dense breast tissue who desire supplemental screening, these results suggest that AB-MR may be a better option than other supplemental screening tests such as whole breast ultrasound.”

The most common exam offered for asymptomatic patients seeking supplemental screening is a whole breast screening ultrasound examination. However, screening ultrasound examinations have higher rates of false positives, meaning more cases of positive screenings where no cancer is present.

Based on the results from Penn's study, the AB-MR may be a better option. American Cancer Society guidelines currently recommend a full breast MRI, not an AB-MR, in women who, based on family history of breast or ovarian cancer and/or previous treatment for Hodgkin’s disease, have a 20 to 25 percent or greater lifetime risk of breast cancer.

SOURCES: 
Radiological Society of North America annual meeting, November 26 – December 1, 2017, Chicago, IL 
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (http://www.uphs.upenn.edu

http://www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org/artemis/201712/1.html

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic