FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mastectomy vs lumpectomy/radiation for Stage 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
torrey.baldwin@yahoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torrey.baldwin@yahoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastectomy vs lumpectomy/radiation for Stage 2
    Posted: Dec 07 2022 at 5:11pm
Hi,
I would like to know what you decided if you had the option of lumpectomy with radiation vs mastectomy? I’m lucky to have both options but don’t know how to decide. Apparently the mortality is the same with either choice. Thanks!

cookie54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2022 at 7:37pm
Hi Sorry you are even faced with this decision in your life. For me it was easy, I decided on bilateral mastectomy due to having 8 previous breast biopsies over 9 years. I had very dense breasts and everything was looking suspicious so I had enough! But yes it's a personal decision since both outcomes are about the same. Obviously easier recovery with lumpectomy than mastectomy. Mastectomy involves drains, expanders if your not having trans flap or nothing if your going flat. If expanders then it's another surgery to place implants plus replacing implants years later depending on plastic surgeon recommendation. If you have lumpectomy, will you feel stressed over the years of having mammo's or maybe that won't bother you. Just giving you some of the things I thought about over the years. Best wishes with your decision, we are always here for you! Hugs.
8/16,IDC,StageIA,Gr3,0/1 nodes ER-PR-HER2-
9/16 BMX,AC
6/20,StageIIIC,Gr3,ER-/PR-HER2-
6/20 Carbo/Gem/pembro
10/20 ALND 5/8 nodes,Rad x25
11/20 thyroid ca
Xeloda2/21
Stage IV 6/22 lung mets

torrey.baldwin@yahoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torrey.baldwin@yahoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2022 at 7:43pm
Yes, those are things I have thought about too. I am lucky that I don’t think there is a wrong decision in this case. Just what do I feel comfortable with. Thank you so much for your kind reply. 
cookie54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2022 at 4:04pm
Exactly! Your very welcome.
8/16,IDC,StageIA,Gr3,0/1 nodes ER-PR-HER2-
9/16 BMX,AC
6/20,StageIIIC,Gr3,ER-/PR-HER2-
6/20 Carbo/Gem/pembro
10/20 ALND 5/8 nodes,Rad x25
11/20 thyroid ca
Xeloda2/21
Stage IV 6/22 lung mets

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic