Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Managing Holidays During Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leahstuffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahstuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Managing Holidays During Treatment
    Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 11:00am
Hello everyone!
I'm going to be taking Taxol through the entire holiday season, starting on Halloween. I'm not going to be able to travel or anything, and I'm wondering how you guys have handled treatment during major holidays in the past. How did you muster up enjoyment of the season? What kinds of things did you do to make it special when you're hyper-aware of your mortality? What do you regret doing or not doing during this period of life?

I feel like these are hard questions, but nobody knows the answers better than you guys!
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 6:31pm
I was about a week past bilateral mastectomy at Thanksgiving, and on Xmas day I was a week past my second chemo infusion and the day prior I had just had all my beautiful long hair shaved off. I had the same concerns you did, and I found myself dreading the holidays as they approached. I felt so detached from life and people anyway. But the holidays turned out to be a good distraction from fear and trauma, a good time to connect with people, and a great time to get love and support.

Here's what I found. If you are blessed with loving family/friends at the holidays, there is good love around in general, but if you are dealing with cancer you will probably get a whole lot more than you are used to!! And when you have sad moments, which you are entitled to have, there will more likely to be someone available for a talk or a loving hug.

Thinking back, I actually have so many happy memories from that holiday season. My daughter did some incredibly special and loving things for me (e.g., she got me a backstage pass for The Nutcracker). On Xmas Eve, friends lovingly encouraging me to bare my shaved head Xmas Eve and talked about how sexy/powerful I looked. Or when I arrived for Thanksgiving with a carload of people, still feeling in shock about my diagnosis and so self-conscious that my breasts were gone (something everyone knew). I was last in a long line of people entering the house. My father in law came charging through the crowd, waving his cane and shouting (jokingly) "Everyone get out of my way!", making a beeline to me and wrapping me in a big hug.

I don't know your personal situation, but I do hope you will be able to find joy, love, and support during the holidays. All the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic