Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local Recurrence Just Found

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
DianeEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local Recurrence Just Found
    Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 8:28pm

Hi All,

Some background:  I was diagnosed 11/2010 & am BRCA2 positive.  I had 6 rounds ACT, double mastectomy & ovary removal in 5/2011.  Tumor was 5.2 cm at time of surgery, grade 3.  2/14 lymph nodes were positive but all lymph nodes on affected side were removed.  Had 37 rounds of radiation with boosts along with incision line.  Finished radiation 8/2011.  Started the Cisplatin & PARP clinical trial 9/2011; finished the chemo. arm of that trial 1/2012.  I was in the process of getting my tissue expanders expanded when the plastic surgeon saw a small skin bump he didn't like.  The biopsy showed that the dermis "is extensively infiltrated by solid confluent sheets and cords of malignant neoplastic epithelial cells with high grade nuclear features and brisk mitotic activity".  The chest xray looks clear.  My medical oncologist has ordered a PET scan and a brain scan.  She is also ordering further pathology to get the receptor status. We're hoping that it's just a local recurrence.

Unfortately, I am also dealing with a personal crisis as my husband admitted to having a 6 month affair during my cancer treatment last year.  Since he is unwilling to work on the marriage, we are probably heading toward divorce but a lot about that situation is uncertain as well.  I am sure the added stress of the situation has not helped my health much either.

I'm totally shell shocked by all of this.  I thought that doing the trial would at least keep the TNBC at bay for a while.

Any advice?  I think that, since I had my whole breast radiated already that radiation is not an option, correct?  For now, I am just waiting until after the scans are done to see what we are dealing with.  But, I knew that all of you wise people would have some wisdom to share about this distressing situation. 

Thank you, in advance for your help.
Diane in Michigan

DX 11/2010 age 43,BRCA2+,6 rounds TAC,bx mast/ovary removal 5/2011,TNBC tumor 5.1 cm,02/14 nodes positive,37 rads,Cisplatin&PARP trial.Recurrence 2/2012,TN IBC,Abraxane didn't work, Ixempra & Xeloda
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 9:24pm
Diane:

I don't have any helpful information to pass on, but after reading your post, I just want you to know that my heart goes out to you, and it just confirms to me that the only thing I do know for sure is that life is just so freaking unfair. 

It amazes me, how when times become very stressful and difficult, most husbands will step up to the plate and help carry their wives through this ordeal, no matter what their own fears may be.   And others seem to collapse and run - and cause further devastation in their flight from reality.  How very cruel of him to do this at a time when you so needed him.  Know for sure, though it may not seem it at times, you will be strong enough to get through this.  I am so very sorry that you will have to test this strength with all else you have on your plate.  

Please hold tight as I am sure others will be on board to give you some truly helpful information.  Just know that we will all be here for you - all the way.  God bless and know there are many arms loving arms here that will hold you up.

Linda
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 9:31pm
Diane,

It sounds like a local recurrence to me.  I'm not a medical expert, but hopefully it's contained locally and further scans will give you some relief.  I'm so sorry you are dealing with a personal crisis too.  You don't need the added stress.  I don't understand how some husbands check out and others stand by our sides.  You'll come out a stronger person.  Please lean on us to help you.

Hugs,

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Shelly Rae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelly Rae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 10:14pm
I'm so sorry to hear about all you are dealing with. My prayers are with you as you go through this. Hoefully it's a local recurrence.
Shelly Rae
4/09 age 47 Stage 3a, Gr 3,1 node micro ACx4 Tx4 Rads x 33, done Dec.1,2009 NED
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 12:07pm
Dear Dianne:

I echo what the others have already said and want you to know that we are here for you.

If it is recurrence? it could be new primary.  That is what I had in 2011, when I opted for bilateral mx.  With the PET scan, they will find out how invasive this has gone and be able to contain it with surgery.  I opted for no recon as I live alone and have no need to do it right now. 

Keep us posted as to what is medically going on and if there is anything we can help with let us know.  Just know you won't be alone in all this, we are here for you.

As far as your personal life goes, I know what this is like and although tough to go through now, you will be a better and stronger person for it! Have faith and know that there is a higher power watching over you and keeping you safe.

Welcome to our TNBC family, Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 12:48pm
Diane, how awful to add stress to stress.  Your husband sounds like a real douche, to check out in such a hurtful way when you were at your most vulnerable.  I know it hurts, but good riddance.  You deserve so much better.

For now, I guess all you can do is put one foot in front of the other.  Take care of the skin nodule, rally your friends and family around you in a loving circle to see you through.  Hopefully the recurrence is just local.

Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 1:57pm
Dear Diane,

Out of an abundance of caution I would get a second opinion.

My thought would be Dr. Lisa Newman at Univ. of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Dr. Newman is on TNBC’s Medical Advisory Board and is very familiar with TNBC.

good luck to you..very sorry about your husband. 

warmly,

Steve

p.s. If you decide to go to Dr. Newman and are having trouble getting an appointment sooner than later please let me know via a PM and I will try to help.
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 3:40pm
Hi Diane,

I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. so unfair.

We had talked before about the study but I don't remember if you got the PARP arm or not. Like you, I would have thought the extra chemo would have chased it away, hopefully for good.

My thought is the same as yours, thinking that once an area has had radiation that you can't really do it again, but am not positive about that. I would be more inclined to think that more chemo would be your next step.

Dr. Newman did my surgery and we thought she was fantastic. If you opted to go for a second opinion, I am not sure if you would see her or an oncologist, or even request both. UM has a tumor board which reviews the whole case and then makes a recommendation.

We will all pray that it is only local. Please keep us posted. Rally your friends around you and be good to yourself right now.

Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
DianeEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 10:41am
Thanks, all.  I am still waiting for all of teh scans to be scheduled.  As all of you know, the waiting is the hardest. 

Deb, I was on the PARP arm for the study.  So, I did have all 4 rounds of the Cisplatin plus the PARP.  I finished the Cisplatin treatments early January and have been on the weekly PARP maintenance dose since then.  It's amazing to me that I have had so much stuff & it's still not gone.  I did have to delay the Cisplatin treatment and reduce the Cisplatin dosage each time as my white count kept dropping too low.  Perhaps I didn't get the full benefit of the trial.

Thanks, too, Steve & Deb for the recommendation to see Dr. Neumann.  I did see her in December 2010 for a second opinion before I had treatment done the first time and thought she was great.  At that appointment, she had my case was reviewed by the tumor board at U of M and they recommended that I get treatment at my local cancer center here in Kalamazoo as they thought the course of treatment was exactly what they would be doing.  I may go back and see them for another 2nd opinion.  But, I'll probably wait until all of the testing is done here so that I can carry the info. over to them.  At this point, we're not even sure if it's triple negative.  My doctor has ordered an extensive test for receptor status (she said that there was some sort of new receptor test she wants to use).  Hopefully, if I go to U of M, it'll be easier to get in since I'm already in their system.  The only problem is that they don't participate with my insurance so it'll be a lot more expensive.  Does anyone know any one good at the Cancer Center in Detroit?  They participate but I, obviously want to go to someone good.  I'll pay more to go to U of M if I have to.  But, money is tight as we're still paying for the treatments I've already had.

Again, I'll keep all of you posted.

Thanks again for all of your support--
Diane
DX 11/2010 age 43,BRCA2+,6 rounds TAC,bx mast/ovary removal 5/2011,TNBC tumor 5.1 cm,02/14 nodes positive,37 rads,Cisplatin&PARP trial.Recurrence 2/2012,TN IBC,Abraxane didn't work, Ixempra & Xeloda
Lee21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 10:48am
Diane,
You might want to send a PM to Wade whose wife recently completed her treatment. They live in SE Michigan and might have recommendations -- I think they went to Karmanos for a second opinion.
Lee
12/9/11 @59,IDC,grade3, TNBC,3cm(MRI),SLNB0,stage IIA, BRCA1 variant
1/30/12 DD AC-T, 6/7/12 Lumpectomy, ypT1b(0.8 cm), 7/9/12 Rads x 30
11/9/12, clinical trial cisplatin/rucaparib, cisplatin-only arm
btstark2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btstark2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 11:07pm
Diane,

My prayers are with you during this difficult time.  I hope that you get all of your diagnostic results soon so that you can move forward with making a plan.  I always felt much better once I knew what the plan was!  

I pity your husband.  How horrible it must feel inside to be so weak as to cheat on your spouse when they are going through treatment for cancer.

I know that you can rally the women in your life around you to help you fight this fight.  Please keep us posted.

Hugs from St. Louis,
Beth
2008 Stg1 TNBC, LX, FEC+T, rads
2010 2.5cm tumor BRCA-, BMX,CMF
2011 LN mets, Gem/Carbo, surgery, rads
2012 lung mets, PI3Ki/taxo
2013 anti-PD-1
2014/15 Xeloda, IMMU-132, eribulin
Aug 2015 Keytruda
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 6:25am
Dear Diane,

I fully understand the economic pressure all of this brings to you and your family. It can be crushing to worry about on top of your cancer concerns.

If UM will accept all of your scans and test results I personally think it is worth it to get Dr. Newman’s perspective. She is an TNBC expert and that is important. Just my two cents and I understand that I am not the one paying the bills. Perhaps you can go over things with UM’s insurance department, in advance, to see roughly how much a consultation will cost.

Also, please call the help line listed on this site. Depending on your circumstances I think you can fairly easily get $150-300 which are grant monies provided by the TNBC Foundation.

Please call the folks at CancerCare. TNBC Foundation has a working arrangement with them. And that suggestion goes for anyone here. There are funds that may be available to you and there may be other resources the folks at CancerCare can make you aware of-

Please call 877-880-TNBC (8622).

good luck, Diane..

warmly,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 12:28pm
DianeEE,

How are you doing?  Do you have your results from the additional testing to determine if it's a local recurrence?  Thinking of you.

Hugs,

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

DianeEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 12:48pm
Oh, Donna, thanks so much for thinking of me.  I had the PET scan on Tuesday, 2/21 and the brain MRI on Thursday, 2/23.  The nurse called me Friday and told me that the brain MRI came back totally normal.  I was SO thankful to hear about that.  I have not heard about the PET scan but the nurse said that it takes longer to get the results for those.  I am hoping that I haven't heard because of the time it takes to process the results and not because it's bad news that they don't want to give me over the phone.  I am also concerned that this recurrence is inflammatory breast cancer.  I have a lot of bumps on my chest area near where they got the biopsy from.  One part is red and itchy and the area tends to be painful when I lay on my side to sleep.  I have read the info. that Steve has posted on IBC (thanks Steve!) and it looks similar.  IBC scares me a lot but I try not to worry about it until I talk to my doctor.

My appointment with my medical oncologist is on Thursday afternoon.  She has also ordered further testing to check the receptor status again.  She describes it as "chasing estrogen" so that, perhaps, there might be other treatment options.  After I talk to her, I will probably get a second opinion from somewhere, most likely Dr. Neumann at U of M.

As you all know, the waiting is SO hard.  No matter what the results, I just really want to know what I am dealing with.   I also feel really anxious because I have noticed the "bumps" getting more widespread & larger.  I feel like I have a ticking time bomb on my chest and am anxious to get started on some sort of treatment very quickly.  I am probably going to start on the EDGE CAM program as I feel like the supplements will probably be a great idea and it'll help me feel like I am doing something. 

Thanks for checking on me.  Just trying to take it day by day and keep myself distracted so that I don't get too much "in my head".  I will keep all of you posted.

Hugs,
Diane
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 12:59pm
Diane,

As Steve will probably tell you we've had several women misdiagnosed when they actually had IBC.  With your skin conditions getting worse, could you possibly get an appointment with Dr. Massimo Cristofanilli at Fox Chase Cancer Center?  He's a leading expert in IBC and from what I've seen, IBC is many times misdiagnosed.  Steve could possibly help you get an appointment with Dr. C.

DianeEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 1:28pm
Thanks, Donna.   I don't think it's been misdiagnosed really as my oncologist mentioned it (quickly and quietly) during my last exam.  I should say that my exam was supposed to be just a 6 month follow-up.  But, the day of my exam, she got the biopsy results (my plastic surgeon did a biopsy of a bump on my chest but I didn't know the results).  So, I was there by myself not expecting any news of any sort.  I was in total shock that the biopsy came back and that it was cancer and I think that she didn't want to committ or scare me until we knew more.  But, when we read the path. report together she mentioned it was in my skin & I did hear her mention the words "inflammatory".  I know that she has treated others with IBC successfully.  Like I said, though, mostly she said that she wanted to know the whole picture (receptor status & results of the scans) before she committed to treatment.  She did say that surgery probably wouldn't be an option since there is not just one defined lump.

So, my plan was to wait until all of the scans & receptor status results came in and then see what she says and then also get a second opinion.  If it wasn't truly IBC, I was going to go to Dr. Neumann.  If it was IBC, I was thinking about MD Anderson since they have an IBC clinic.  But, it sounds like Dr. Cristofanilli is a great doctor so I may go to him. 

I may call the doctor's office tomorrow and see if I can get in any earlier in the week.  If this is really getting worse, I feel like I should get moving right away.  Do you think it makes sense to start working on getting into Dr. Cristofanilli before I see my doctor?  Didn't want to waste his time if it's not IBC but, if the process takes a while, perhaps I should try to things moving right now.

It'll be so much easier when I have a firm diagnosis, a team in place and a plan.  I remember this period as being very difficult during my first diagnosis too.  Will be glad to move into action.

Diane
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 1:49pm
Diane,

Dr. C started the IBC clinic at MD Anderson before moving to Fox Chase to start an IBC center there.  If it was me, I'd probably get the wheels moving with an appointment with him.  You can always say that the results aren't in yet, but it looks like it might be IBC and you want Dr. C's opinion.  The only reason I say not wait is we all know how long it can take to get appointments and second opinions rolling.  You are right, this period of waiting for results, not knowing, waiting on treatment decisions is just the worst.  

Hugs,
Donna

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 8:29pm
Dear Diane,

So sorry to read of what you are going thru now.
Good to hear the brain MRI was normal.

Some thoughts:

From what you have said so far, it does not sound like you have the final path report impression.
Will your MD be considering having a consult on the pathology?
Reason asking this: you have had recent chemo and radiation and one might wonder if that makes
reading the pathology slides more difficult.
You said you were told there were malignant neoplastic epithelial cells. I am not questioning what
you were told........just wondering if a 2nd pathology opinion (maybe at a comprehensive cancer
center) would be helpful for confirmation of the final impression/diagnosis.

You mentioned you were red and itchy and had bumps near your biopsy site. You mentioned
on another forum you questioned if you had a reaction to iodine contrast and you had a shrimp
allergy.   Would you know if your skin was prepped with betadine (iodine containing) or other
iodine containing solution?     If yes, you might consider reviewing that with your physician as
being part of the situation.
We both also know that with TNBC one needs to be vigilant to exclude IBC when there is a rash.   

With caring thoughts,

Grateful for today.............Judy

DianeEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 9:43pm

Hi Judy,

I think that I do have a final path. report on the most recent biopsy.  But, my oncologist wants more info.  Specifically, receptor status.  They didn't run any receptor tests and she wants to see if it's still triple negative or if the receptor status has changed.  She also mentioned some "newer" test for receptor status that she was going to have run.  I didn't ask for specifics on that test, but I will when we meet again.  I will also ask if she will get a 2nd opinion on the pathology report.

Thanks to Donna's advice, and because I'm worried that this is IBC, I have already started the process to get a 2nd opinion from Dr. C. at Fox Chase.  I have submitted my info. on their web site.  They have said that I would receive a phone call from one of their people soon.  My oncologist has always encouraged 2nd opinions and is very good about listening to my wants/needs when deciding on treatments too.  If we decide another person is better for a 2nd opinion, I figure I can always cancel any appointment with Fox Chase if needed.  I just wanted to get things moving in case there is a delay. 

Good point about the iodine.  However, I was not prepped with betadine, just alcohol.  And, the redness is not really in the area that the biopsy was taken.  But, I'll be sure to let them know just in case it's a reaction to something.  I do have tissue expander implants in (they were expanding them when this cancer was found).  But, since I'm not having any redness or itchiness on the other side (that also has an implant), I figure it must be something related to the cancer.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.  I SO appreciate it.

Diane
DianeEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 8:46pm
Just wanted to update everyone . . . . My PET scan showed cancer in the right chest area and lymph nodes in my right armpit.  Yes, that is the same side that was already treated.  Originally, 2 out of 14 lymph nodes were positive.  Most of those lymph nodes have already been removed.  But, apparently some remain as they lit up.  The brain MRI was normal (yeah!).  There was no spread to bones, liver or any other internal organs.  There is a small "indeterminate" spot on my left lung.  But, it's too small and in a difficult area to biopsy so they are just going to keep an eye on it for now.

I do have an appointment with Dr. C. at Fox Chase Cancer Center for another opinion.  Although we don't think it's IBC, I will feel better to know for sure that it's skin mets and not IBC.  And, it will also be helpful to have his opinion on further treatment.  My local oncologist has contacts at University of Michigan (1.5 hours from my house).  She is going to call someone there who is doing a trial on stem cell research with triple negative people.  That should be interesting to hear about.  Dr. Neumann and her team over at U of M gave me a 2nd opinion when I was first diagnosed so they have all of my records.  I may also go over there for an exam and another opinion on what to do from here.  Since I've already had Adriamycin, Cytoxan and Taxotere the first time around and also did the Cisplatin & PARP inhibitor trial, I am anxious to hear from other oncologists as to what they think will finally kill this nasty beast.  Yes, this has all come back in the area that has already been radiated too.  She blasted the heck out of my entire chest area, lymph nodes and did extra boosts along the incision line too (37 total treatments).  I feel like they've given me everything that they've got so far and it scares me beyond belief that it's come back so quickly and aggressively.  I've never really even been out of treatment since I was diagnosed. 

So, one step at a time.  The worst part is waiting until 3/13 to do anything at all.  Just one more week, I guess.  But, as many of you know, it's like walking around with a ticking time bomb and not being able to work on diffusing it.

I will continue to keep you all posted.  Thanks SO much for all of the support I've gotten.  I feel so blessed to be able to have contact with people like you who understand what I am going through.

Wishing you all health & happiness....

Hugs,
Diane
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic