Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Length of carbo/taxol treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sjd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Length of carbo/taxol treatment
    Posted: Nov 03 2017 at 8:51pm
I cannot, for the life of me figure out how long my chemo is to last! I'd really appreciate some help. I don't see my onc again for another week and I am honestly obsessing over this. I've had 2 tx's and not new to chemo, just different cancer this time)

My chemo tx consists of  1st week carbo plus taxol
                                    2nd 3rd & 4th week taxol only
                                    (no break)                
                                    start over  carbo plus taxol then 2nd, 3rd & 4th weeks taxol only
                                    etc. etc.  
I finally remembered to ask when I went in for labs today. PA said 12 cycles??

Does that mean 12 X 3 = 36 weeks???? (for the 3 taxol only weeks)
and then add 12 X 1 = 12 weeks???? (for the carbo plus taxol week)

My God that is 48 weeks of TX. I can't be right, can I? 

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2017 at 12:02pm
sjd,

Well I'd be confused too!  To me a cycle is one complete treatment schedule, which looks like it would be the complete 4 weeks is one cycle.  However, I've seen the standard of care for Taxol to be 12 weekly treatments.  I think you'll have to ask how long the treatment schedule will be for you.  You didn't mention the stage or size of your tumor.  Are you getting neoadjuvant chemo or adjuvant chemo?

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 11:27am
My treatment last year was 12 weekly Taxol treatments, and simultaneously 4 Carboplatin treatments every 3 weeks - both of these are typical for TNBC if you are not doing Anthracyclines (I'd done that 9 years ago) So 12 weeks of Taxol, with Carb added weeks 1, 3, 6 & 9. My doctor at MD Anderson did say that if scans showed the tumor shrinking, but not enough to make him happy at the end of that plan, he might add 2 more Carboplatin every three weeks for a total of 6 Carboplatins - it would've added just 3 weeks to my time in treatment. So I know you _can_ do 6 Carboplatin treatments. I don't know if this helps!
The good news is, the 12 Taxol, 4 Carboplatin treatments wiped out my cancer entirely. The pathology from my mastectomy was clear of ANY living cancer cells.
Are you tolerating chemo well? I had a hard time on the Carboplatin. We tried a lot of meds to get me thru, if you have stomach or intestinal issues let me know and I'll tell you what ultimately was the best combo to get me thru.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
AnotherMei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherMei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 7:38pm
Hi! My Taxol&Carbo treatment was similar to Kellyless. Total of 12 weekly Taxol, and Carboplatin administered right after Taxol on week 1,4,7,10.

I just finished my last one this week. Had minimal additional side effects with Carboplatin, so I was very lucky.

Hope all goes well with you, and that you are able to get more assurance when you meet your oncologist.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 6:44pm
Obviously I still have chemo brain I did Carb 1,4,7,10 as well - every 3 weeks.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic