New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lack of D Vitamin increases risk and agressiveness
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of D Vitamin increases risk and agressiveness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lack of D Vitamin increases risk and agressiveness
    Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:58pm
Last week a symposium has been held in Madrid, about D Vitamin and Cancer.

And, although some naturist doctors have been telling us for long time, now also official medicine says that there is a relationshio between the lack of this vitamin, and the risk and aggressiveness of  cancer, specially in breast and colon. Better late than never...

In the next link you can find the new in a specialized newspaper in Spain; I'm sorry that is in spanish...

http://oncologia.diariomedico.com/2011/03/30/area-cientifica/especialidades/oncologia/prevencion/la-falta-de-vitamina-d-eleva-el-riesgo-y-agresividad-del-cancer
(If anybody interested that doesn't undestand spanish, I could try to translate it)

My wife, that has been under chemo treatment because of TNBC, for more than 6 months, and after it had her breast out, has very low level of this Vitamin. It has been hard job to make our oncologist ask for this test, but finally, when we made it, we received the results that we suposed. Now she is taking a supplement.

Is it only our case, or is something common in TNBC pacients?
Do you have more info about this?

I would appreciate your opinion.

Many thanks in advance!

Mikel
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 1:14pm
Mikel,

Your are correct as many of us with TNBC also have very low levels of Vitamin D at diagnosis.  Here's a thread talking about Vitamin D3.  I'd start at the beginning and read through the many posts.  There are some excellent links with more information about Vitamin D.

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338_page1.html?KW=Vitamin+D3

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

katem2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katem2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2011 at 6:28pm
Mike,
I would agree! In 2007, I was hospitalized with dystonia  - kind of a neurological brain doesn't talk to body well so walking etc was effected. One test done was vitamin D deficiency. MY number was 9, normal is 50 or above. This was before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I spoke via emails with a leading researcher and proponent of vitamin D. He  encouraged me to raise my levels using supplements and also warned me that he believed vitamin d deficiency was related to cancer. Interesting to note, my Mom had colorectactal cancer and also had very low levels of vitamin d. My Dad also was treated in his early 40's for vitamin D deficiency. As I found out, there is a hereditary form of vitamin d deficiency. I am BRCA negative but  have lost 2 members of my immediate family to cancer and 7 in my grandmother's  generation to breast cancer. Strong family stuff. I wonder about hereditary tendency for vitamin D and familial cancer rates.
Metastatic to lungs 1/2011,Original dx 10/2009,6cm
R mastectomy, radiation, ACplus taxol, navelbine, gemcitibine, now in phase two trial for abraxane tigatuzumab combo
sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 1:16pm
Mikel, 

Thank you for sharing the vitamin D information.  I have low vitamin D3, 38, despite taking a supplement.  

Love and Peace,
Sue
Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic