FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Komen walk in Houston,Texas 10/4/08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
billie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Komen walk in Houston,Texas 10/4/08
    Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 7:04am
Hi Ladies,
   I just have to share with you my first time experience going to a Komen walk.My daughter and I went to support 2 of my grand daughters who did the walk of 3 miles.No,my daughter and I did not do the walk.The only way that I would have been able to do this was if both my grandaughters would have pulled me in a wagon.Then guess what ?They would not have made it.
   Anyway,I just wanted to report that it was downtown Houston,and we were told that it was a count of some 30 thousand strong.I really felt that it was more than that.
  Their were 2 in my grandaughters group that were BC survivors and they had at that time raised over $1600 .To say I was proud of them is an understatement.They were called the pink ya ya,s which means sisterhood.Their t shirts were so cute.WE had people stopping us so that they could take a picture of the front as well as the back.I have sent Nance and Pammie a picture ,maybe they can post it.
  There was another group that were simply adorable.On their heads they wore a pink satin decorated bra.The one lady that I suppose wore the pink t shirt whom is the BC survivor,said that her dear mother came up with this head gear design.
   I wore also my little pin that Nance and I together made.It is a white croched angel with 3 ribbons on it and on the bottom I have added the letters spelling out Triple Negative.I am going to send a picture to Nance again and see if she will also put a picture of this pin under this Komen topic.Nance does not have time to crochet me some more angels and I do not know how to crochet.Nance sent me 2 angels,So,I was able to make one for my sister and I .But they are so so cute.Some of you may want to make one for yourself you can see how we did it.
    I have to say this,I was terribly hurt that there was no representation of triple negative.I realize that triple negatives are still under the catogory of Breast Cancer,but my feelings is that we are so distant from the other subtypes.And please forgive me for saying this,but I personally feel that the study on TNBC should be the main one that the scientist should be working on.I understand how proud that they are to say that trip negs respond greatly to chemo therapy.But they do not tell you all of the other cronic illnesses that chemo sometimes leaves for the human body to have to deal with.I understand that having your life is more important,but what a terrible trade off in order to live.I did not see one t shirt that even mentioned trip neg.I have to say that more than likely there were many women there that were trip neg,but the lady in my grand daughters group did not even know what her subtype was.My grand daughters came up with their own design on the camaflage t shirts.
   I personally do not think that there is enough reccognistion about trip neg.
   I believe that ladies should start banning together at these walks and have t shirts made stating trip neg so that people will start asking ,what is that one.If 2 ladies got together along with all of their families and support group people and attended these walks,my grand daughters group was only 15,they would have people asking questions. 
   I was very impressed with all of the people,but would love to see more about trip negs.Lots and Lots of Hugggssss     Billie 
Billie posting for sis Betty/67/caucasion female/diagnosed 2-27-08/gradeIII/7mm/invasive ductal carcinoma/T N /clear margins/node neg/4 X's taxotere-cytoxan/36 rads/7-08 PET/CT double image/no cancer
NancyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2008 at 5:13am

Thank you Billie for the information.  I have to agree about tripple negative.  there just isn't enough information or exposure.  I have started buying triple negative T-shirts from the foundation and giving them to my friends and family.  At least the proceeds go to research for our kind of cancer and maybe, someone will ask "what is triple negative"  when I wear my t-shirt.  It's a start.

41yr dx 7/25/08
Lumpectomy and ax node disection (38 nodes, all clean!) 8/12/08
T2 grd 3, N0, TN IDC
BRCA1+
ACx4,Tx12 10/08-3/09
prophylactic hyst, ooph,mast & one-step recon 3/30/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic