Go To Main TNBC Website

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Increasing Clinical Use of Hyperthermia for Cancer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Increasing Clinical Use of Hyperthermia for Cancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increasing Clinical Use of Hyperthermia for Cancer
    Posted: May 17 2011 at 8:15am

BSD Medical Reports that Increasing Clinical Use of Hyperthermia for Cancer Treatment was the Focus at Society for Thermal Medicine Meeting

BSD Medical Corporation (NASDAQ: BSDM) (Company or BSD) (www.BSDMedical.com), a leading provider of medical systems that utilize heat therapy to treat cancer, today reported that the focus at the annual Society of Thermal Medicine (STM) (www.thermaltherapy.org) conference, which was held in New Orleans from April 29 to May 2, 2011, was the increasing clinical use of hyperthermia in the treatment of cancer. The researchers at the meeting presented data showing significant benefits for the use of hyperthermia to treat a variety of tumors, including breast, prostate, head and neck, cervix, soft tissue sarcomas and bladder cancer. A number of presentations also discussed the importance of studying the use of hyperthermia and chemotherapy for the treatment of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.

To read the entire article:

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=11159&Section=Disease&source=DHB_110517&key=Body+Title&utm_source=DHB_110517&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Disease&utm_content=Body+Title&utm_campaign=DailyHealthBulletin

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:59pm

Hi Donna~

I was just looking into a place that does this hyperthermia therapy in our area and I saw your post (ha ha you always seem to be a step ahead of me) which kind of backs up my thinking on giving this a try.  I referred my friend to them so hopefully they can do something for her to help knock this cancer out of her for good.  I know that heat seems to really make cells weak and or destroy them while do very little or no damage to other areas of the body.  This sort of sounds like that Kanzius Machine they are working on at MD Anderson.  I think the only difference with this and the Kanzius Machine is they are not using nano particles to target the cells. They are just heating the areas.  The heat ultimately is what kills the cells so I do not see any reason not to try this therapy with her radiation and chemo.  I will let you know what we find out from this place, and of course we will run it by her oncologist before trying anything.  Hopefully we can get a hold of them on Monday.  Thanks for the post.

Craig
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 3:22pm
Craig,

Please keep us posted on your research into this type of treatment and the location(s) for this procedure.  I appreciate how you research and always willing to share everything with us.  The sharing of knowledge is what's going to help us move forward in finding better treatments.  Your friend is very lucky to have you.  So many would just give up, but you keep fighting to find the answers and a cure!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

sstefano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstefano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 10:17am
Hi Craig,

Thank you for the information about the hyperthermia. I will be very interested so please send us the information about locations, etc.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
DX 04/97@32 stg 3 ACx4; DX 06/06@41 stg 2 Xeloda x6; 10/10@46 mets carboplatin x10, 07/11 - Xeloda; BRCA1 positive 5382insC
Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 6:56pm
Below is a link to facilities that do the hyperthermia treatment.  Also, I have a link that I found on inspire.com where they had some posts about it recently. 

The FDA approved this treatment for melanoma, squamous-cell carcinoma, basal-cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, and sarcoma cancer types.  I could be wrong but I think tnbc is basal.  I seem to remember reading that someplace.  This is not a new treatment, in fact the idea of heat treating cancer has been around for a long time.  This treatment shows success but is not perfect.  Most treatment centers do not say they can cure stage 4 cancer, but they do say they can prolong life with this treatment, sometimes for years.  On the thread from inspire somebody went to a conference that spoke about this treatment.  She met two stage 4 people that were treated with this and were NED.  This treatment works quite well in conjunction with chemo and or radiation.  It also has some impressive stats when used by itself.  I can not remember where I read about when this treatment came about but I seem to remember this hyperthermia came about in the late 80s.  I just can't find the site that said that.  Since then it has been thrown back and forth as a possible treatment but is being looked at in various clinical trials.  Duke University is one of the major colleges testing hyperthermia.  This is also huge in various parts of Europe and there is also a center in Australia..that place has somewhat of a suspect history though...that does this form of treatment.  The cancer treatment centers of America have been doing this for a couple of years now also. 

Hope everybody is having a good weekend
Craig

Edited by Craig76 - Jul 31 2011 at 8:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic