Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inconclusive CT Scan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ryleigh0605 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryleigh0605 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inconclusive CT Scan
    Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 10:37pm
Good Morning

Since I am new at this:

Can anyone tell what an "Inconclusive CT Scan" means?  The oncologist has ordered another scan.  He said that they did not get everything.  He only put abs and he wanted the pelvic area also.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much.
Diana, mother of 2, grandmother of 3
dx 8/07
IDC with medullary features, 1.87cm grade 3, stage 1, 1 node-neg, BRCA neg, Biateral 9/07, ACx4
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 7:13am
Dear Diana,

I don't mean to be unhelpful but I think you should go back to your oncologist with your questions. I assume (always dangerous to do) that he ordered the CT scan for a reason...what was it? did he order the scan with/without contrast? Are you being seen at a NCI Comprehensive Care Center? if not, do you have access to one for a second opinion?

I just had a CT scan of my Kidney, Ureter, Bladder because of persistent hematuria. I know I have kidney stones (the scan found three) but they were trying to rule out cancer. I was told that a CT scan was better to find the stones than an MRI but the MRI can be useful at other times...

Please try to get your physician to explain to you, COMPLETELY, why he is ordering the tests...and if the first scan was "inconclusive" are there other tests(MRI, PET SCAN) than can help? if you do not get an explanation that satisfies you I would try to get a second opinion.

again, I feel I am being unhelpful...sorry about that but I don't want to guess what your doctor is looking for specifically...I don't like the fact that he neglected to ask for the pelvic exam the first time around.

all the best,

Steve

p.s. and "inconclusive" normally means that the scan did not give the radiologist enough information to definitively say there is cancer present or not....in cases like that they often try another diagnostic test...again I do not want to guess...are your markers elevated?...

and I am not a doc so please do not rely on anything I say..you must get a proper explanation for all this from your oncologist and/or radiologist. I would ask for a meeting with the radiologist as well and let them explain it all to you...you deserve to understand, completely, from the medical professionals in your life..

again, sorry to be unhelpful...

Edited by steve - Jul 23 2009 at 7:22am
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
ryleigh0605 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryleigh0605 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 10:16am

Thank you for answering Steve.  Very good advice.  I did not know that you could request to talk with the radiologist.  I have an appointment tomorrow for the second scan.  I will see if I can talk with the radiologist at that time.

I am thinking of switching to UCDavis in Sacramento.  My sister works there and they will accept me as a new patient, the research team.

The initial scan was due to the doctor(on call onc) examining me after numerous visit of complaining of pain in the area of my kidneys, getting worse as time goes by.  It has gotten so bad that I can not do to much around the house, it hurts to bad.  I am one that can handle alot of pain too.  I was sweeping two days after my double macestomy.  Anyway, he found a lump above my bladder, total hysterectomy, so it was not my ovaries.

I did get good results yesterday, that I do not carry the gene, so hopefully my daughter and granddaughters will not have to go through this.

So thank you again for the advice
Diana, mother of 2, grandmother of 3
dx 8/07
IDC with medullary features, 1.87cm grade 3, stage 1, 1 node-neg, BRCA neg, Biateral 9/07, ACx4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic