Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am scared

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lroppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lroppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am scared
    Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 10:42pm

I am happy to find this site. I just turned 38 on October 12.  Happy Birthday to me.  On October 7, 2008, I had a lumpectomy of what I thought was a benign lump (mammo results said no cancer, just a mass so going into surgery I truly had no fear whatsoever), and was shocked out of my mind when the doc told me on October 10 that the lump came back from the lab as cancer!  The lump was 2mm (!) and I had found it through self examination.  Went into surgery again October 21 to remove more breast tissue (wider margin taken, now that we knew the lump was cancerous) and for a sentinel node biopsy.  My results just came back today that one of the three nodes removed had a very, very small amount of cancerous cells.  Like less than 1 mm.  But I guess that's like being a little bit pregnant?  If it's out of the breast, it's out of the breast?  I don't know.   The doctor was very surprised that the cancer had already reached the lymph node considering that the size of the tumor was 2 mm.  He then told me that the cancer is Triple Negative.  I had never heard of this before.  Now I am researching and freaking myself out.  I will see the oncologist on Thursday for the first time and I am scared to death.  It looks to me like I have no option but to do chemo, huh?  I've got two little girls, ages 8 and 6 plus my husband who is the love of my life.  If I don't do this chemo, I will be taking too big a gamble, even though I hope and pray they got it all out since they took out the lump and the only node involved.  I read about the side effects of chemo, and I can't believe it.  This is a bad dream.  So scary. I don't feel sick.  I run marathons, no history in my family, I breast fed each kid for 18 months.  I am just in total shock.  It is just dawning on me that this beastly disease could actually kill me, so I guess I must submit my seemingly healthy body to toxins (chemo) that will make me feel like I am dying, even though I feel totally and completely healthy.  My stepmom had skin cancer earlier this year (before I was diagnosed) and she said at that time if the cancer recurs she won't do chemo again, she'd rather die.  She's 60 -- maybe that makes a difference.  But is chemo that horrible?  I don't feel like i have the option to gamble and possibly die without a fight since I've got my girls and my husband, and I owe it to them to be here for them.  Plus, I want to be, of course.  But is there anyone out there who has come out the other side of chemo who can say, "Yes, it is hell, but you will come out the other side and be grateful.  It is worth it?"  Or is the prevailing sentiment like that of my stepmom? I am so scared.  Thank you for anything you can tell me.  Part of me is so scared I don't want to do chemo, and just gamble they got it all.  Of course, the rational side of me knows I can't do that.  Laura

tashasmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashasmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 1:12am
Hi Laura
I too have only just found this site after being told literally yesterday that i am TN. I understand totally how you feel regarding starting chemo as i have all the same reservations as you.  However, i know at least 2 women who have recently undergone (and completed) chemo for BC and both have them have come out the other side.  Yes, it is not pleasant (understatement of the year) but it can be done.

Found lump end of August, had SNB, WLE and ANC on 25th September: 17mm lump, clear margins, no nodes but cancer a grade 3 - hence the need for chemo and radiotherapy.  I am 40 years old and have a 2 year old daughter. I met with my oncologist yesterday for the first time (my chemo starts on the 6th Nov) and he assured me that whatever i needed (medication etc) i can have because, as he said, they want to make sure that this is as 'comfortable' for me as it can be (again, probably an understatement!)  Yes, i am terrified of losing my hair, yes, i don't want to feel like c*ap all the time, yes, i don't want to have to undergo all the other miserable stuff that chemo can do to me but, if there is one thing i have learned it is that no two womens experiences are the same.  Your chemo mix will be specifically for you and you may not experience many of the effects that someone else has.  So although i have a lot of anxiety and trepidation about next week, i am going into chemo knowing that i am not giving up or giving in.  My 2 year old daughter deserves that from me at the very least.

How would you feel about supporting each other on this scary journey?  I'm guessing that your chemo will start fairly soon, around the same time as mine and i would love for us to be able to support each other, compare notes and swap tips on coping with the treatment (i have some great ones that have been posted on another site that i will be using).

Please please please try and listen to your rational side - as you say, us TN's don't have other options to fall back on and it sounds as though you have everything to fight for.  I am willing to be 'by your side' and battle through this awful, horrible disease together - albeit across the pond.
All the very very best Laura - please let me know what you decide after seeing your oncologist on Thursday.
With love
Jane
becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 5:05am
Hi girls,
I just finished all my chemo and radiation in July...Chemo is not fun but it is not as bad as some  make it sound...they have so many drugs now to help with the side effects...I am 54 and did not hace any nausea...I had chemo on thursday and felt fine till monday and then had a few days of just feeling "crappy" and then started feeling better everyday after that until they hit you again...It is soooooooooo worth it to still be alive and I had a clear pet scan in Sept.  Don't even think about not doing it...TN responds  well to chemo...I am sure the experts on this site will be in touch Smile
Fight with everything you have.

Hugs Becca
Age58 DX 12/07
Grand Junction, Colorado
Lumpectomy 1/08/08
Stage IIIA grade3
5/19 nodes
chemo 5/08 radiation 7/08
clear pet 9/08
kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 5:08am
Dear Laura and Jane,

I went in strong...and came out stronger!

And so can you two! I had TAC chemo (taxotere, adriamycin and cytoxiin) for 4 rounds and AC for one round...had many side effects such as fatigue, low fevers, consitpation....but not one minute of nausea. Took Emend for anit-nausea and it worked great for me...

Just finished radiation 2 weeks ago today, and am still tired after working all day, but am improving steadily. Skin already completely healed.

I have two role models that I keep in my heart ~ my boss was 58 at time of diagnosis with TNBC and my aunt was 45...both had CT, one a lumpectomy and RT and the other bi-lat mastectomies/reconstruction and no RT. Both celebrated their 5 year survival anniversary this fall....

Treatment was not fun, but with the support of family and friends many good things came out of it. You hear, sometimes for the first time, people say and show how much they love you. Many kind deeds were done on my and my families behalf. And I have tons of payback to deliver ~ with love. I learned my husband is as strong as nails, my boys are dear and thoughtful and my sisters are angels on earth. My best friend called or visited everyday and my boss stopped in when I was desperate out of boredom or fatigue. So ~ it can be done, and people do survive this beast. You must be more aggresive than the cancer!

Also, take a tape recorder to all appts. or someone to take notes...there will be tons of info. to assimilate into your brain. Ask lots of questions, and look to this site for the source of your questions. There are many well informed people on this site ~ we are all here for you. HUGSHug

Kathy
Found Lump, 2/8/08
Bx IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, TN
Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection 3/11/08
4/33 positive nodes
TAC x 4, AC x 1
RT x 33-finished 10/14/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
lroppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lroppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 5:14am
Jane,
YES, I will be your buddy.  Your message is a Godsend to me.  Thank you for sharing your experience with me, and your determination.  You are of course right, I am just freaking out.  Maybe I will be more steeled and determined after meeting with the oncologist.  The internet has a way of making you feel like the worst is going to happen.  I am so sorry for your cancer, for mine, for all the women I am running across.  I think your idea of being a support system is fantastic.   Sounds like you will be a few weeks ahead of me, but I will know more after I meet with the oncologist in the next few days.  I will be here for you.  I am better at being here for others than needing anything.  I am sure I will learn plenty of life lessons through this.  The most important thing you have done for me is make me forget my silliness and just feel like I need to get ready for the battle ahead.  I am grateful for that.  It is so incredibly ironic you are in the UK.  The very same week I went in for my surgery I also had signed a record deal in the UK!  (I write and perform music and I recently released an album.)  Part of my reaction is just the little kid in me not wanting to lose that dream.  I can't very well travel or promote my album whilst in chemo, with no hair, etc.  So, it will have to wait, such a bummer.  I have a song for you called "Little Daughter" I wrote to my kids BEFORE knowing I had cancer.  It is a song of all the things I want them to know in life if I were not here to tell them.  I thought it was poignant before, but now I just keep thinking maybe my subconscious knew something I didn't know. Aargh!  Back to what matters.  Ok.  Yes, please let me be a support for you, and you do what you can for me.  You will be a few weeks ahead of me, I wish we were on the same schedule so I could be there for you 100 percent every day.  But I will cheer you on, and just knowing you are there already makes me feel like I am not all alone.  You are brave and I will follow your example.  I just told my husband what a comfort it gives me to know you are there, and he hugged me.  Love to you Jane, and hugs, Laura

Edited by lroppe - Oct 28 2008 at 5:41am
lroppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lroppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 5:18am
Congratulations, Kathy.  GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!  Thank you so much for your message.  What would I have done without this site?  I was wallowing in self pity and probably would have continued (so unlike me!), and now I am going to turn the page.  Thank you so, so much. OK.  I am going to fight.  I am a fighter, I am a survivor in so many ways, I  know this about myself.  I am going to tap into my strength, and I am going to win.  I am going to say this to myself A LOT.  Thank you for taking the time to post, Kathy.  You are an inspiration to me.  The internet made me feel like it is hopeless, but you are a beacon of light to me.  THANK YOU, KATHY!!!!! XOXOXOX Laura
lroppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lroppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 5:21am

Thank you, Becca. Wow, this has been an amazing thing for me.  Thank you.  I was in despair, and now I am just going to stop the pity  party and get to it.  Thank you very, very much.  I am sending so much love your way.  Thank you very much.  My whole family is indebted to you.  Hugs and love, Laura

tashasmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashasmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 5:32am
Hi Laura
I am sooooooo pleased that you are feeling more positive about this!  We CAN and we WILL get through it - we just have to look at the wonderful messages sent by Becca and Kathy (very many thanks for your lovely messages ladies!) and gain reassurance that we will come out the other side older. wiser and most DEFINITELY stronger!!!  Your message really touched me and has made me even more determined!  I would love to hear your music and i am 100% confident that others will get to hear it too (go you with your record deal!!!) If you would like, i could send you the list of tips i have, and will be using, for getting through chemo and making a more manageable experience? Don't think i can do an attachment on a private message - but we'll have to look at that if you decide you would like me to send it to you.

Really pleased you have decided to be my 'buddy' - and i would extend that to anyone else out there in cyberspace who is about to undergo what we are.  Very good luck to us all - i think, after all we've been through, its the least we deserve....!!!
With love  Red%20Heart
Jane

Pink%20RibbonPink%20RibbonPink%20Ribbon
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 6:47am
Good Morning Laura,

Welcome to the site. I see where we have more than one gals joining today, and we want you to know that we will be here for you every day.

My daughter Lori was dx TNBC June 2007. Her stats are at the bottom of my post and as you can see it was a lumpectomy first due to misdiagnoses, just like you.

Since you are just starting on this journey, I want you to know that we have many resources on the site which will not only help ypou, but will provide you with the information you truly need. Your graetest help will come from every gal on this site.

At the top of every page you are on, are the words..about tnbc...about us...tnbc events..forums. Please click on forums and then click on "TNBC News, Resources and Tips". Then go to page 6, and click on "Directions on how to access our many resources". There is a Thumbs%20Up to the left of it. This will tell you exactly how to retrieve the information. There is another one for directions for adding your signature also. You may want to print these out to read. The chemo and rad tips, after surgery tips, and books to read are also on that forum, and are always on the last page.

Lori also was in a triathlon, never smoked drank , not even coffee. Laura cancer does not discriminate.

I see wher you already have a "buddy" to share this journey with, which I know will help tremendously. Chemo is not a walk in the park by any means, but you will get through this. Lori has also said that she will never do chemo again.

Hugs,
Nancy 
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 7:05am
Good Morning Jane,

I want to welcome you to the site, and we have a few gals here who are from Great Britain also. English Jan is one and I will send her a private message to tell her to meet you. She has not been on the site for a while.

As I said to Laura, it is wonderful that you will be able to share your feelings since the two of you will starting on your journeys at the same time. We all will be here for you every day. Just ask away and I know that all the gals  will reply.

I know at times I must sound like a broken record when I tell the new gals about the resources we have here, but it is so very important to have all the info that you can get at this time.

My daughter Lori was dx TNBC last June. Her stats are at the bottom of my post.

At the top of every page you are on, are the words..about tnbc...about us...tnbc events..forums. Please click on forums and then click on "TNBC News, Resources and Tips". Then go to page 6, and click on "Directions on how to access our many resources". There is a Thumbs%20Up  to the left of it. This will tell you exactly how to retrieve the information. There is another one for directions for adding your signature also. You may want to print these out to read. The chemo and rad tips, after surgery tips, and books to read are also on that forum, and are always on the last page.

You are so right when you say that no two women's experiences are the same. It is so wonderful to have this site where so many women can respond to every question you may have. They will give you truthful honest answers. We have women from all over the world on this site.

Can you tell us what chemo regimen you will be having and where you will be receiving treatment?

That's all for now Jane, but if you have any questions......ask awayWink
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
lroppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lroppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 7:09am
I did not realize there were so many hugs out there.  I was so despairing last night, and today I feel much better. Thank you for all the posts and the cyber hugs, and also for making me feel like this is something I can do and beat.  Jane, I will be here for you.  And I will be on this board A LOT, so thank you all very, very much.  Words cannot adequately express my gratitude.  I will post again after I find out my treatment regimen.  Thank you very much. 
Laura
billie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 8:06am
Yep Laura and Jane,
   Many many huggggsss.As one new member said to another new member.You can actually feel the huggggssss.You 2 have certainly come to the right place.
   I have brought to the front of topics,Hints that may help before starting chemotherapy.Along with another suggestion to go to resources before starting chemo suggested by many of the members.
   I researched for my sister and I cannot express to you enough just by kinda knowing in advance what to expect and having things ready to go in advane,makes such a big big difference.By doing these things in advance you do not feel so overwhelmed.You will have these things at your house and at your fingertips.
   When it was determined that my sister was going to have to have nulasta for her blood count dropping,we already knew in advance that she was going to probably experience pain all over her body.We knew this in advance so therefore when this did indeed occur it did not scare the pidoole out of us.It lasted for about 3 days and then it went away.She had her pain pills ready along with her prunes to eat the night before ,because of the fact that pain pills usually will cause you to become constipated.And you for sure do not want this to take place.It will make you to be sicker.

So ladies,together you are both going to make it and any other lady that joins the 2 of you.And do not ever forget this one fact.It is your right to ask your chemo oncologist any question that you choose.I applaud my sisters onc.After I informed him of this foundation(his remark was that all women should do their own research when diagnosed with BC.) ,I would then print out the subject that I wanted to talk about and he would listen.Some dr.s will say stay off the internet,but when you present information comeing from over 1200 members strong and most of them their treatments,there is no way the onc.  can hardly argue this point.

Best wishes to all of you on your journey and lots and lots of Huuuuugggggsssss    Billie
Billie posting for sis Betty/67/caucasion female/diagnosed 2-27-08/gradeIII/7mm/invasive ductal carcinoma/T N /clear margins/node neg/4 X's taxotere-cytoxan/36 rads/7-08 PET/CT double image/no cancer
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 8:50am
Hello Laura and Jane, I'd like to welcome each of you to our forum.  You have the most fantastic place to be for support, information or just venting.  If you look up above under the link Resources and after the drop down there is a link to "taking charge of your care".  This should be alot of help for both of you.  This will give you some good questions to ask at your upcoming appointments.

We try to post new news everyday so don't forget to check the Resources, News & Tips forum when you  can.

Try to approach this journey one step at a time or even one hour at a time might work best at times.  You are in for a rollar coaster ride both physically and emotionally.  Allow yourself to have these feelings, you have a right to your emotions.  You did not cause your TNBC so don't waste precious strength and time worrying about that sweet roll you had last week.Smile

The beginning is especially scary since we are not sure what we are in for but once you  begin your treatments you will understand and calm down a bit.  If the anxiety is too much don't be afraid to try something mild to get you thru the treatments prescribed by your Oncologist.  Alot of women do this.

Do either of you have a family history?  If so you might consider checking out the website http://www.facinourrisk.org to gather information on the brca 1/2 testing.

Also it would be a good idea to start arranging loved ones, friends that might be able to come by to help with the kids, meals, cleaning, running errands for you if you are having a bad day or two.  One of the hardest things is to ask for help!  Some women freeze up some things to eat for easy cooking later on.

No one wants to be told they have breast cancer, those awful words that set off the dread in the tummy.  But I think you will find that you very well may handle the treatments quite well.  They have some great meds to help with nausea and other side effects that they didn't have just a few years ago.

My daughter was diagnosed last year and continued to work full time, take care of her family and her two small boys.  She got along quite well.

TNBC responds quite well to chemotherapy.  Thanks to this Foundation we are now starting to get the attention we need to find a targed treatment and hopefully a cure soon.

I was first diagnoed in 12/02 at the age of 56 and last year at the age of 61 and I'm still here.  Believe me even though I am older I am NOT ready to give up and go without a fight!  If it comes back I will continue to do whatever treatments they have for me.  I still have alot of living to do.
We do have some members here who have quite a few years of NED, no evidence of disease.

Having chemo and/or radiation is best decided between patient and Oncologist.  Don't   be afraid to get a second or third opinion before you begin.

If we can be of any help please ask away, there is alot of smart and supportive women and caregivers here who would love to help you best they can.

Good luck to you both and we hope you'll keep us updated on what you find out about your treatment and when you both begin.  Do not hesitate to ask any questions to your Oncologistl.  Go armed and empowered with knowledge about what is out there for TNBC lately.  It feels so much better to feel like you are working with your doc instead of just taking their word for everything.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
tashasmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashasmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 11:12am
Hi Nancy, Billie and Pam!
Thanks so much for your responses to this post.  Although it was Laura who started this thread, i feel that i have been made so welcome and already part of the 'club' (although, and i'm sure that this has been said many times before, i agree with Groucho Marks - i don't really want to be a member of any club that will have me as its member... - but then none of us have really had a choice have we??!!!!)

To answer Nancy's questions - i am having my treatment in a city called Wolverhampton, in the West Midlands, where i live.  It is very close to the city of Birmingham, which you may be more familiar with?  As far as i am aware, i will be having 6 cycles of FEC (Fluorouracil - or 5FU, Epirubicin and Cyclophosphamide) and if any of you are familiar with an Irish comedy show called 'Father Ted', you will understand that FEC is probably a very appropriate name for it... (for those who have never seen it, Wiki 'Father Ted' and look under 'Father Jack Hackett'...) and then 4 weeks of rads. However, i can't be 100% certain about this as i think i stopped listening to the onc., right after he told me i was triple negative.  I already knew i was negative for oestrogen (sorry - english spelling!) and progesterone as my consultant had told me but we were awaiting the HER2 results. I started looking on other forum sites and had read what it could mean to be TN and but without really knowing why - perhaps i had a feeling that i was deep down.  I revisited the forums that i had been so faithfully using once i found out but i have found that, because i feel so differently now that i know i have TNBC, i am not sure that they are 'right' for me anymore.  I am seeing my Onc. again on Monday for a pre treatment assessment and consent etc., and i will gain some clarity then. I might be asking lots of questions on the forum after this time, so my advanced apologies if this turns out to be the case! 

It is such a great relief to have found somewhere that is specially for TNBC people - and i thank you all so very much for taking the time to not only respond but to include me in with your responses after Laura's post.

I feel at home already!
With love and warm wishes
Jane
kikidan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kikidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 12:21pm

To Laura and Jane,

I have finished 4 rounds of AC and 5 rounds of taxol plus herceptin (I found out that I was actually her2+ just a couple of weeks ago after thinking I was TN since July).  The chemo is not bad.  I swear!  Physically a little freaky but they do give you a lot of drugs for the nausea and after the AC, the taxol is easy-squeezy.

If I can do it, you girls can.  I am (was?) in great health too and was completely shocked to find out in June that I had cancer and that it had spread to my lymph nodes.  I am 38 and a chiropractor so I never really take drugs and live an active, healthy lifestyle.

I am not sure what kind of chemo your mother-in-law had but seriously, I would do the chemo over again.  She must have had much different drugs.

The gals on this website are so awesome.  Billie and Nancy are sweethearts and Pam (trip2) is amazing resource of information.  Nancy can hold her own too!  you will get a lot of support and a lot of info from these ladies.

You two are going to be OK!!

Hugs and Light!!......Kiki

kikidan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kikidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 12:23pm
PS.  Make sure you have FISH (Flourescent in situ hybridization) assays to ensure that you are not HER2+.  It is the "gold standard" test and insist that it is performed.

I started a thread on that and also there were a couple of other ladies that found out later they were not TN.
Donna J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 8:30pm
Is this FISH assay test not the standard test?  I have no idea if that is what I had when diaganosed Triple neg. in May 07.  I now have reocurrence in chest wall, vasc. nodes and liver.  It really upsets me to think that my testing could have been wrong. Shocked
kimm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 7:38am
Hi Laura,

Last year I had the year that you are having right now.  I had all the same worries, fears and reservations that you are experiencing.  I just wanted to let you know that the is life on the other side.  I had a bilat mast, chemo & rads and wondered if I was doing the right thing and if I would get through it.

I, for one, am glad that I did all that was available to me to fight this disease.  Whatever happens in the future, I know that I did all that I could.  I have a friend that opted for more conservative treatment and lived every day worrying if she did the right thing.  Sure enough 3 yrs later it was back.  Now we all know that it may have come back even with the most aggressive treatments available but she will never know.

My life is relatively back to normal.  Some side effects, but nothing I can't live with and to answer your question, if I had to do it again, I definitely would.  Having chiildren that you want to watch grow up gives you strength you never knew you had.  You can do this and it does get better  over time.

Best wishes,

Kim
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 8:34am

Donna,

It is my understanding that the FISH test is only given if there is a question of some sort. To read more about this, I want you to go to our new forum...."TNBC News, Resources and Tips". Then go to page 8 (there are 14 pages as of now). There are 3 articles which our dear Pam has posted there on the FISH testing. They are near the bttom of the page. Just click right on the topic, and the link will be there.

Also welcome to the site, and you will find more info here than anywhere else. All you have to do is ask, and someone will answer you. That new forum is a great place to find new information. I don't know how my dear friend Pam does it, but she finds articles/news that you can take to your onc which they aren't even aware of. We are soooooo good!!Wink

If they have a sample of your tumor and it was stored properly they can do the FISH test. If I am wrong on that the other gals will chime in.

And...once again I am going to sound like a broken record.....CD  nowLOL
But I want you to have all the resources here on the site, even though you have previously had chemo.

At the top of every page you are on, are the words..about tnbc...about us...tnbc events..forums. Please click on forums and then click on "TNBC News, Resources and Tips". Then go to page 6, and click on "Directions on how to access our many resources". There is a Thumbs%20Up to the left of it. This will tell you exactly how to retrieve the information. There is another one for directions for adding your signature also. You may want to print these out to read. The chemo and rad tips, after surgery tips, and books to read are also on that forum, and are always on the last page.

Hugs....we are so glad that you found us.
Nancy
Nancy
mastectomy July 6 2007
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 9:57am
Dear Laura and Jane: Welcome to the forum, but sorry we had to meet this way. I just want you to know there are many knowledgable ladies here to help support and guide you and alot of hugs when you need them too! I too was diagnosed in February feeling healthy as a horse and surprise what showed up on my yearly mammogram. I had all the same fears and tears as you are having. I want you to know that even though I would never want to have to go through it again it really wasnt as bad as I anticipated. Minimal nausea...not puking my guts which is what I thought would happen.  I worked through all the chemo and radiation and finished the end of September. I am trying to keep my wits about me, not try and let my mind stray too far and make my life meaningful and not take life for granted.  
I hope your treatments go smoothly and feel free to voice your concerns and fears and questions here there always seems to be someone to help. keep us up to date on your progress and again welcome.  Eileen
DX:2/08,3/08 lumpectomy with SNB, clear margins, no lymph node involvement, 4 cycles A/C (dose dense) every 2 weeks, 4 cycles Taxol (dose dense) every 2 weeks, 33 rads finished 9/08, BRCA 1 and 2 neg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic