Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hodgkins Mantle Field Radiation and BC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Swan1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hodgkins Mantle Field Radiation and BC
    Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 4:50pm
Hi there

My dear sister was diagnosed last week so this is very fresh and I so desperately want to share a good news story with her.

Back in 1992 she had Hodgkins Disease and underwent Mantle Field radiation and we suspect her breast cancer was caused by the long term radiation effect.

She's been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma - grade 3 - 3cm - TN and has been recommended for full mastectomy followed by reconstruction and then chemo.  She had an MRI which showed no spread to the lymphs however she's having biopsy early next week to confirm this.

One of her biggest fears (and there are plenty) is the zero radiation available to her.  Is there any one out there with similar experience?  I would love to hear from you.
survivorKim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 9:00pm
I have a very similar experience. I had Mantle radiation for Hodgkin's disease in 1984. I learned about the link to breast cancer being found in a large percentage of people having had this treatment about 20 years later. I started having breast MRIs in addition to mammograms and the breast cancer was found on my second MRI.   (Once a year).    It was only seen on my left side which is where I had had "extra" radiation. That was 2009. I had a single mastectomy and chemo as I've pretty much had my lifetime allowance of chest radiation.   I'm doing fine. I continue to have annual MRIs and mammograms and it is always a little stressful. It's coming up this month. I'd be happy to share details. I'd be willing to meet or talk on the phone too. I live north of Seattle. Let me know if I can help. Kim
Kim
Hodgkins IIa, 1984 mantle radiation leading to TNBC, infiltrating duct cell, grade 3, diagnosed June 2009. (Luminal, not Basal) Mastectomy followed by chemo (Cytoxan & Taxotere) starting 7/20/09
Swan1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2017 at 10:39am
Hello Kim
Thank you so much for responding to me!  Could I email you off line?  I would love to hear more from you.  You're an inspiration!  Thank you!!

Anne
survivorKim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2017 at 12:31pm
Sure!  I see now that you're in Toronto, so meeting is not an option, but we can email or talk on the phone.  My email is kadamsewa@aim.com.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Kim
Kim
Hodgkins IIa, 1984 mantle radiation leading to TNBC, infiltrating duct cell, grade 3, diagnosed June 2009. (Luminal, not Basal) Mastectomy followed by chemo (Cytoxan & Taxotere) starting 7/20/09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic