Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Newly Diagnosed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JanaGail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanaGail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Newly Diagnosed
    Posted: Jun 30 2015 at 9:18am
Hi - I'm new to the site, 42 years old, single mom, no family history of cancers, had spots show on annual mammo June 8th in left breast that were 7 mm & 5 mm each so my doctor did surgical biopsy to remove larger one & it came back as Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Was sent for MRI & it showed that my lymph node has changes consistent with malignancy. I am Er/Pro Negative & waiting on results of additional HER2 as first was inconclusive. Feeling pretty confident I will be diagnosed as TNBC. I've had pain under my left breast & in armpit for months now so guessing that's lymph node. Anyone else who was lymph node positive have pain? My surgeon has me scheduled for a Lumpectomy with Reconstruction of both breasts then radiation but my oncologist feels a mastectomy with chemo then radiation is better treatment. Still waiting results of genetic testing to see if I carry the BRCA1/2. I am very confused as to what steps to take to treat this. My surgeon tells me I'm Stage One but oncologist tells me I'm Stage Two (Grade 3) and depending on how many lymph nodes are infected could be bumped to Three. I really need some consistency cause I have to admit I am scared as can be about this diagnosis. The treatments themselves don't scare me but the recurrence issues do. Does it ever just get treated & not come back at all, anywhere? Is there anything we can do to prevent it from coming back? Would love to hear any advice from anyone as I'm so confused on whats my best route to take to get through this.

Edited by JanaGail - Aug 12 2015 at 10:52pm
Dx 06/17/15 - Stage 2, Grade 3, TNBC, 7mm Breast Tumor, One Node 2.2 cm, BRCA1&2-, Neoadjuvant treatment: 4 AC, 12 Taxol (Aug-Dec 15) - Lumpectomy/Reduction/Reconstruction (12/21/15) - Rads (2016)
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2015 at 3:57pm

Hello JanaGail, I am sorry to hear about this. I am not sure which centre you are associated with. Usually your oncologist would be the best one to address the treatment decisions. I am not a Doctor just offering some suggestions. It is also a very good idea to get another oncology opinion from another centre and especially so in the face of conflicting opinions on treatment.

I know you must be worried while waiting for the rest of the test results but all the results need to be in before one can proceed with the best treatment plan. The results of the BRCA will be very important in regards to lumpectomy vs mastectomy.

Once there are positive lymph nodes chemo is necessary however it seems you do not know if this is the case yet. Did they do a sentinel node biopsy?   I am a bit confused about what you are saying as I have never heard of a diagnosis on lymph nodes being made on appearance on MRI alone.

Yes, this does get treated and does not return in may cases so there is great hope!

There are several things some people do to help prevent recurrence. One is Vitamin D. Have you had your levels of this checked yet. Many of us are low in Vit D and so take this supplement as a help. Some people take ASA low dose on a regular basis. Some drink Green Tea. You will come to be familiar with many ideas that could be helpful down the road.

I had 2 positive lymph nodes out of 5 but do not recall having any unusual pain.

This whole business of breast cancer is confusing . It still baffles the best of scientists. Do you have anyone that can help you in sorting this out with the Dr. Can you bring a friend to your appointments? It does help as the information can be overwhelming at times.

One step at a time is a good way to proceed. Try not to think too far away about a recurrence. First things first.

There is always Hope!!! remember that. Please let us know the results of the Her2 and BRCA and post anytime you need. We are here and understand!

I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
myleftboob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote myleftboob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2015 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by JanaGail JanaGail wrote:

Hi - I'm new to the site, 41 years old, single mom, no family history of cancers, had spots show on annual mammo June 8th in left breast that were 7 mm & 5 mm each so my doctor did surgical biopsy to remove larger one & it came back as Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Was sent for MRI & it showed that my lymph node has changes consistent with malignancy. I am Er/Pro Negative & waiting on results of additional HER2 as first was inconclusive. Feeling pretty confident I will be diagnosed as TNBC. I've had pain under my left breast & in armpit for months now so guessing that's lymph node. Anyone else who was lymph node positive have pain? My surgeon has me scheduled for a Lumpectomy with Reconstruction of both breasts then radiation but my oncologist feels a mastectomy with chemo then radiation is better treatment. Still waiting results of genetic testing to see if I carry the BRCA1/2. I am very confused as to what steps to take to treat this. My surgeon tells me I'm Stage One but oncologist tells me I'm Stage Two (Grade 3) and depending on how many lymph nodes are infected could be bumped to Three. I really need some consistency cause I have to admit I am scared as can be about this diagnosis. The treatments themselves don't scare me but the recurrence issues do. Does it ever just get treated & not come back at all, anywhere? Is there anything we can do to prevent it from coming back? Would love to hear any advice from anyone as I'm so confused on whats my best route to take to get through this.

Hi, Jana. I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this as a single mom. That must be very worrisome on top of having to deal with your illness. When my lump in my left breast was discovered, it was almost 4 cm. An MRI showed that one Level I axillary lymph node is also enlarged to 2.5 cm. That places me at Stage II-B. My tumor is Grade 3 but I tested negative for the BRCA-1 and BRCA-2. My current plan is neoadjuvant chemotherapy, then a lumpectomy followed by radiation. I have felt pain in my left breast and armpit. I really notice it shortly after an infusion. I discussed the choice of lumpectomy vs. mastectomy with my oncologist at IU Simon Cancer Center (she's a top doctor there and came highly recommended by friends in the know) advised me that there is no statistically significant different in OS (overall survival) between lumpectomy with radiation vs. mastectomy. Now, that may be because I have the one significant tumor and no other evidence of cancer in either breast. But I sought more than one opinion (2 surgeons and 2 oncologists) and recommend highly that you consider getting another opinion before surgery. After having received 11 weeks of Taxol (and a 75% chance of receiving Carboplatin every 3 weeks vs. 25% chance of placebo), my tumor has shrunk to 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.4 cm (1/3 of its original size) and the lymph node has shrunk from 2.5 cm to 1.2 cm (per MRI on 6/17/15). I just started A/C on 6/18/15. I'm hoping the A/C shrinks it even more but am really glad to see that the chemo I've had so far has resulted in a significant decrease in the size of the tumor and lymph node. I am participating in a clinical trial and it sounds like you may qualify for the same one. Definitely ask your doctor about clinical trials in your area.

Best wishes to you!

Karen
Dx 2-13-15, IDC 2-B, Gr 3, TNBC; Port 3-12-15; MRI 3-19-15 T 3.8 x 3.5 x 3.7 cm ALN 2.5 cm; MRI 6-17-15 T 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.4 cm ALN 1.2 cm; Chemo: 11 Taxol, 4 A/C; Lumpectomy/SLNB: 9-22-15 pCR; 19 Rads
JanaGail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanaGail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2015 at 3:10pm
Hi Ladies,

Thank you both so much for your replies. Looks like my surgery for the lumpectomy and reduction/lift of other side will be next week. My oncologist wants my lymph node that is showing signs of malignancy to be biopsy before surgery so I'm doing that Monday. It is 2.2 cm now. The pain went away while I was on vacation but as soon as I got back and started lifting weights again it hurts like crazy yet again. Hopefully its only in the one node. She is pushing for me to do chemo but my surgeon is still "Iffy" on whether I'll need it or not. Def will have radiation. Whew I've learned so much and still don't feel as if I truly know enough. A little scared for surgery but ready to get things moving along. I like the info on Vit D and Green tea. I'm not a big tea drinker but have taken a Vit D supplement as long as I can remember and of course I love the sun. I will def talk with my doctor about clinical trials.

Thank you so much :-)

Edited by JanaGail - Jul 15 2015 at 3:35pm
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2015 at 3:51pm
JanaGail, You only have one chance to get rid of TNBC and that is at the beginning with the treatment you decide. My belief is one needs to throw everything at it since it is very aggressive. If the oncologist is saying you need chemo I would do chemo. Did you get your BRCA Status yet? Just because one node showed up on the MRI doesn't mean there are not micromets in other lymph nodes that can't be seen on an MRI. Even though after Chemo my MRI showed no sign of any residual cancer they wouldn't say it was a pathological complete response to chemo without testing the tissue around the area where my tumor was located as the MRI could look clear but you could still have residual at the cancer site. They removed all my lymph nodes and three ended up looking like they had cancer. Before taking any supplements during chemo always ask your oncologist if it is OK. Hope all goes well for you! Lots of hope here........I am three years from diagnosis with Stage 3......I feel great! You can do this!!
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2015 at 3:53pm
I didn't mean to say only chance.......I mean best chance.....Certainly there are many who have had recurrences and are doing good. :) I should have previewed but I was distracted with my hubby with a bunch of questions!! LOL
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
JanaGail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanaGail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2015 at 4:15pm
Thank you Linda for this information. I have been holding out hope that maybe, just maybe since my tumors were so small that they werent in my lymph nodes yet but since my MRI says "2.2 left axillary lymph node has an eccentrically thickened cortex measuring up to 1.3 cm and nearly replaced fatty hilum so is suspicious for malignant adenopathy" I kinda think I'm out of luck and it has spread there. It did say "other lymph nodes appear morphologically normal" so I'm hoping its only one but thank you for this info and it lets me know that when I see my doctor tomm I want to ask him how will he be sure it was contained in just the one node. I've had the pain under my arm since last year before the first mammo in Nov caught my small spot that they thought was a cyst so I think my node has been fighting this a while and I'm hoping it hasn't spread any further than what they are thinking. I wish now that I would of pressed the doctor for more testing last Nov as I knew that pain wasn't quite right. I know I have quite the battle ahead. I love hearing you are three years out and doing good! That keeps the Hope alive :-)
KristyLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KristyLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2015 at 7:38pm
Hi JanaGail,  

Hugs to you at this very scary and confusing time.  Regarding if some women never have a recurrence...MOST never have a recurrence!  Reading about TNBC online is just awful, it reads as so hopeless, it's not.

That said, TNBC is aggressive and requires aggressive treatment.  We're not doctors here, but this site has some very well-informed patients and I think the vast majority of us would strongly encourage you to do the chemo.  Your first shot is your best shot with TNBC.  

Please let us know how you're doing!  <3
Dx 09/14 Stage 2 TNBC, Grade 3, 3cm, no nodes. BRCA1+ Neoadjuvant treatment: 4 AC/T, 12 Taxol, 4 Carboplatin. BMX Diep Flap Hyster 3/5/15. Path report PCR, no radiation advised.
JanaGail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanaGail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2015 at 2:00pm
Well I met with my doctor yesterday and it appears my plans have changed. I will do a biopsy of my lymph node on Monday as it is now 2.27 cm big. If it comes back positive I will do chemo before I do the surgery/radiation. He feels pretty confident its malignant. Is it normal for everything to change so much before you start treatment? I feel like Im in an endless cycle of bad news and just want to get something started toward fighting this ....

Annie - what is "ASA" that you had mentioned in your post?

Karen - My doctor did mention a clinical trial so Im hoping that I will get in on that.

KristyLee - I love reading that most people never have a recurrence. Yes reading things online has me terrified to say the least. But Im trying to stay positive.

I have heard that the chemo given for TNBC is pretty harsh and aggressive. Is it possible to keep up your normal work and home life? I work full time several miles from home and my daughter cheers so football season starts next month. I want to keep life as normal as possible :-)

Edited by JanaGail - Jul 17 2015 at 2:02pm
MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2015 at 7:53pm
JanaGail, It does seem like they are taking awhile to get you in treatment! I actually think the change in plans are a good thing! I think biopsy of the lymph node is good. I also thing chemo before surgery can be a really good thing. I know a lot of people in my family questioned chemo first - why not get the cancer out of your body......well, anyone with TNBC knows that it is aggressive and as my Dr. said Chemo works best on really aggressive cancers......Since I was not BRCA + they wanted to do a lumpectomy and by chemo shrinking (eliminating) the cancer the surgery would be less invasive. I think the best thing is you will get to see if the chemo is working on your particular type of cancer and if it doesn't they can switch up therapies for you. As for the harshness.......everyone is different in how it affects them. I know some on here were able to work through it all. The big thing is I too started out wondering what's going to happen and once the treatment plan was in place and I got started I switched into this warrior and I was going to do everything in my power to do what the Dr. told me ( and what I read - from the food I put in my mouth to what I needed to do to keep myself strong and healthy) What I found is that as I went along and my white blood counts lowered I needed to be careful of not getting ill........I did not want anything to stop me from getting my chemo on time! This is a journey and it is your journey to figure out as you go along. As side effects present themselves come back here to the forum for advice as someone will have had it and can tell you about it. It is such an individual path. I had days of normal and days where I just stayed on the sofa. Keep us posted!
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2015 at 8:20pm

Hi JanaGail, ASA is Aspirin. You should speak with your Doctor about taking it as he may very well not want you to do so especially while on chemo.

As far as keeping things as normal as possible...it all depends...some people can keep up with activities while others have to curtail them to some degree and others even more. So please be ready to do so just in case and do not feel badly if you cannot keep up.

This is a very important time and you need all the rest and help that you can receive. The fact of the matter is this...do not try and keep up with those that are NOT going through this!   I do not think it is possible...my opinion...and do not add this burden to yourself...just have some things and people in place to assist you if need be.

We will ALWAYS be here for YOU...You can count on that!

Do not be afraid...We really do care!

God Bless, Love, Annie

Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
nancykind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nancykind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2015 at 9:34pm
regarding armpit pain - i had it on and off for several years -i'd say at least 8.  each doctor i mentioned it to told me "oh you're just fighting a bug", "oh, the lymph nodes are just doing their job" and other variations.   once i was diagnosed i started to really wonder though so i went feeling around.  sure enough, i found a lump about the size of a ping pong ball in my armpit.
 and it was deep, not easily found.

wish i'd pushed back harder on the armpit pain but i'll never know for sure if anything could have been prevented/caught sooner.  my cancer didn't show up on mammo, u/s or on the mri so perhaps not.

i understand the confusion that can arise early on, i received some conflicting information as well. keep asking questions and don't pass on second opinions if you ever want one at any stage of treatment.

sending positive vibes out to our community, and it's a wonderful one to be sure.
Lg lump never visible on any films but found 9mm. Lump 1/25/12, DX 1/31@50yrs IIIC/TN/DCIS/INV, Margins Unclr, Ki67 40%,Gr2. MX L 2/24. 3.1cm total. 11/17nodes. AC/T 2xWk,33rads. 12/12 MX R. 9/13 NED!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2015 at 12:17pm
JanaGail,

It's a good plan to start chemo first.  It will let you know if the chemo is working.  If you remove the tumor first and then have chemo, you won't know if chemo is really working on any remaining rogue cells.  Six years ago, neoadjuvant chemo wasn't the norm, but now it is.  The chemo is usually the same as given to other types of breast cancer.  

Chemo affects everyone differently.  Some have more side effects than others and it really depends on the chemo.  Some work through treatment with no problems, while others will experience many side effects and have to lessen their workload or take a leave of absence.  

Wishing you the best.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

ImaJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2015 at 11:22pm
Hi everyone, I am new here, was just diagnosed last week.  44 years old with stage 2a TNBC, and frankly I am scared to death.  You ladies really seem to know what you are talking about so I am going to stick around :)  I desperately need to hear that I CAN survive this, and as someone commented above here reading about TB online is HORRIBLE!  So far I have mostly heard bad stories.  Where do I find the good ones, the survivors???  My doctors are recommending chemo first, round 1 for 8 weeks, then Taxol for up to 12 weeks, followed by lumpectomy and radiation.  Doing node biopsy this week, but needle biopsy showed lymphatic vascular invasion was negative, and they did not see anything in my armpits in the MRI, although that could change with the lymph node biopsy, but crossing my fingers.
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2015 at 9:20am

Hi ImaJ,    I too was diagnosed as 2A. This is survivable!!! You came to a wonderful site here filled with caring people who have been or are going through this.

There is a great deal of support here for sure.

Will you be having or have you had the genetic testing yet for the BRCA genes 1 and 2...very much recommended for TNBC.

Let us know the results of the biopsy and when you will start with chemo.

Wishing you all the best and just remember it is very survivable...just do not read too much on line...especially for now.

Take care and glad you posted.

Love, Annie

KristyLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KristyLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2015 at 11:06am
Hi ImaJ!  

Your diagnosis sounds the same as mine.  My treatment went very well.  You can see the details in my signature, but you don't know all the jargon yet.  My chemo was the same as yours, AC every other week for 4 rounds, then 12 Taxol.  My Dr. added Carboplatin, which is something that you might ask your doctor about, especially if undergo genetic testing and test positive for BRCA.  

You caught it early and have every reason to be very optimistic about your treatment!  I'm sure your doctors have told you the same!  The internet has terrifying things to say about triple negative.  Much is outdated and some is just wrong.  Stick to reliable sources of info.  This site is wonderful.

You're in that horrible space where you just had this bomb dropped on you, everything is happening so fast.  You don't have time to wrap your head around any of it, and it's just tests and appointments and scans....ugh.  Ask your Dr. for some anxiety meds, they really help!  Now isn't the time to be a hero, take the path of least resistance and be gentle to yourself. Once treatment gets going, you'll feel more control and get into a groove.  You've got this, girlie!  Sending so many hugs to you!
Dx 09/14 Stage 2 TNBC, Grade 3, 3cm, no nodes. BRCA1+ Neoadjuvant treatment: 4 AC/T, 12 Taxol, 4 Carboplatin. BMX Diep Flap Hyster 3/5/15. Path report PCR, no radiation advised.
JanaGail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanaGail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2015 at 10:41pm
Hi ImaJ and Everyone! ImaJ I was like you & scared to death when diagnosed but I've made peace with this journey now & am learning to reach out to help others with my story. I was blessed at work today for the ladies to tell me Im an inspiration to them with my smiles each day while going thru this. That was humbling as I just thought I was getting by being me. I believe a positive attitude will take us a long way on this journey!

To update on me - finally after all testing, etc I am officially a Stage Two, Grade Three TNBC, Genetic Testing Negative. I have one positive lymph node with a 2.2 cm tumor. Had spot in my breast that reached 7mm but it was removed in surgical biopsy. Had another spot which was benign at 5mm. I started my four rounds of AC Chemo two weeks ago & go for round two tomm. So far side effects went like this: Had chemo & felt great, day two went back for Neulasta shot & still felt great, day three woke with heart palps - doctor said its steroid so took me off - since then no heart palps, kept on naseau meds three days but got horrible headaches & finally migraine so doc has changed me from Zofran to Phenegran for this go around. I will only have steroid on chemo day now. I have felt pretty darn good, good appetite, worked each day, went to gym & did elliptical. Had one day around day ten where I was exhausted & had to stay home from work to sleep but otherwise Ive kept at it. Im hoping tomm's chemo goes this good. My only really bad side effect has been horrible acne that I woke up with this AM so going to talk to doctor about it tomm. Oh & hair hasnt gone yet but I expect it to this weekend :-)

After my four AC I will do twelve Taxol's then have lumpectomy with reconstruction at Christmas, then five weeks of rads next year.

Ive learned not to read the internet because it is very old & outdated on TNBC, this site is great as well as a survivor group I joined on Facebook where I got great advice such as chew on ice during AC to prevent mouth sores - seems to have worked so far! Oh and the Adriamycin makes your pee red at first so dont freak out! We can get through this. I fully believe that God choose this journey for me for a reason so I will embrace it & come out the other side a Survivor to share my story in hopes of helping others many, many years to come. Stay Strong Pink Sisters :-)

Edited by JanaGail - Aug 12 2015 at 10:54pm
Dx 06/17/15 - Stage 2, Grade 3, TNBC, 7mm Breast Tumor, One Node 2.2 cm, BRCA1&2-, Neoadjuvant treatment: 4 AC, 12 Taxol (Aug-Dec 15) - Lumpectomy/Reduction/Reconstruction (12/21/15) - Rads (2016)
ImaJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 8:54am
JanaGail we are pretty much exactly in the same spot.  I had my first Chemo last week and go in for the second dose on Monday.  And your side effects sound very similar to mine.  I had a massive migraine attack on the eve of the first day, and they said it was due to one of the anti nausea drugs.  Then felt good on day two, but had a mild migraine on days 3 through 6.  No nausea, only headaches, feeling blurry, and they are hoping that by taking some of the nausea drugs out next week that we can eliminate some of this.  I would love to find out JanaGail how you do this week with the different drugs as it seems it might help me too figure out what works better.  I also want to take out the steroids if possible, made me feel so jittery and unable to rest Confused

Did they check your white blood count a week later?  I went in on Monday for that and as expected they were way down.  I was told to try to avoid crowded places and sick people, which is easier said than done.  Those numbers should be going back up though slowly this week.  

My surgery will also be somewhere around the end of December, which should make for an interesting month since my 6 yo son is having hip surgery on December 15th.  He has a disability, wheelchair bound, and his hips go in and out of the sockets.  In any case, my husband and I actually had a laugh about it when we realized our surgeries be around the same time, what else can you do LOL  Life has an interesting way of teasing us.  

Other than the head stuff though I have been feeling very good.  I am taking walks and learning how to relax and destress.  I am not anxious at all, which is somewhat of a surprise.  I guess when you are faced with your worst fears you realize that the fear feels worse than the reality. 

Let me know how you do this week if you don't mind sharing.  And keep up the good work!  I am pretty proud of myself for going through this, and I think you all should be too Big smile  
JamiePH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamiePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2015 at 10:01pm
Hi everyone, I am new here and just coming out of the 'fog' of shock & disbelief about my diagnosis. I am 52 and in good health otherwise. I have always been on time with annual GYN visits and mammograms. My annual mammogram in late June was abnormal, which led to US of left breast, 2 biopsies which were positive, then positive lymph biopsy and bone scans showed cancer in a few different areas and then bone biopsy -all confirmed TNBC. Needless to say I was shocked that I had no physical symptoms on breast exam in May, and by July diagnostics showed it had already advanced to my bones. I am negative for all 5 BC genes. I have cried for weeks. I need encouragement badly. My first oncologist was not a good match for me (not motivated, not encouraging, never smiled, in the business 41 years) so I have been reassigned to a new one. I am participating in a clinical trial testing Indoximod (immunotherapy) and started the drug/placebo Monday.  I am feeling very tired and have had some diarrhea so I am encouraged I received the real drug!! I will start chemo (taxetere) Monday. Any encouragement anyone feels led to offer me, I will appreciate. An old friend who has TNBC and has had a great results recommended I check out this website and get involved. The posts I have read are so encouraging because you all are going through this too!  It is hard to be comforted by someone who has no clue what we are dealing with. Thanks for reading...

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2015 at 8:19am
Hi Jamie,

I just wanted to say hello and welcome to this group.  It's a club no one wants to join, but everyone here will help make the journey a little easier.  It's hard for others who haven't battled this disease to understand what we go through or the worries.  

The immunotherapy studies are encouraging and hopefully a way to fight this cancer.  Is this the clinical trial you entered?

Study of Chemotherapy in Combination With IDO Inhibitor in Metastatic Breast Cancer

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic