Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello and Question Regarding Rib Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Riedline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riedline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello and Question Regarding Rib Pain
    Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 9:38pm
Hello,

Thank you to everyone for wonderful information and uplifting messages. I have been reading the posts since I was diagnosed with 1.8 cm, grade 3 TNBC, stage 1 in February. The path report from BMX showed clear sentinel node and clean margins. All markers (ki67, p53, and oncotype) very high. BRCA 1 mutation of unknown clinical significance. My initial path report from biopsy showed 50% ER positivity, so I may have made decisions differently if I had known about TN, but then again I was adamant to get it out of my body. I am 36, married with 3 year old son, new nurse and supportive job. Lots of support, so very lucky. I just wanted to share details because I have read so much about many of you- I admire your strength and savvy!
    My Question is regarding a painful spot on my lowest rib on the medial corner of cancer side. It is tender to the touch, and hurts when I stretch. I am currently in chemotherapy (finished 12 taxol and had 2nd AC today) and am not going to receive radiation. My question is can a mastectomy or chemotherapy cause costochondritis? My oncologist is aware and is concerned that the pain has lasted 4 weeks. She prescribed an anti-inflammatory to humor my theory and suggested a CT scan if the pain persists. I would like to hear if anybody has experienced something similar. Thank you for your help!
Lucky22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 9:48pm
Hi,

I personally had lots of bone and muscle pain during and for three months after chemo. I had specific spots that would hurt to touch for weeks. I was a mental mess to be honest. The worst was my doctors and nurses said it was “unusual “ to have pain last so long, yet it did! Finally, the pains subsided. I hope your pain turns out to be chemo or surgery related.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 2:10pm
Hello! I just finished up Taxol plus Carboplatin and have had rib and sternal pain throughout. I've researched it and heard from others who had this pain as well. I also had some hip pain and pelvic pain as well. Apparently it's quite common with taxanes and I had to have granix my last 3 rounds as well, which also causes aches. Myalgia and arthralgia and bone pain are listed as side effects. I hope you get some relief soon. RN here too.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2018 at 8:27pm
I personally had lots of bone and rib pain.  I noticed if I was worrying about it, I'd touch my ribs more and make them sore.  If I realized I was doing it, I'd try to stop for several days and noticed the pain went away.  After a while, I realized I was causing some of the pain with my worrying.  However, if your pain lasts more than a few weeks, I'd suggest a scan.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2018 at 12:39am
Have you done any Neulasta type meds? I had crazy bone pains on Neulasta, definitely worse with the Taxol. OMG Donna I have done that same thing to myself on several occasions in the last 9 years! Thanks for saying it out loud, feel a teensy bit less crazy now.
If the pain worsens I'd get a scan, if it doesn't go away in the next couple weeks I would get a scan. Hell, if you're losing sleep at all go ahead and get it scanned! What's one more rest at this point? You deserve all the peace of mind your healthcare providers can give you, tell her to set it up and get it behind you. A lil less anxiety during chemo - with a 3 year old!!!! - you deserve it.

IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/17 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Riedline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riedline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2018 at 10:24pm
Thank you for sharing your experiences! I am glad to hear that it is not out of the realm of possibility that it is due to the meds. And of course I press on it and it gets worse sometimes because this disease can make us crazy, lol! I wasn't too concerned until my oncologist was and will probably need a scan for both our peace of minds. I have noticed that the pain decreases the first couple days after thé AC infusion, probably due to steroids which seems like a good sign. Then the nuelasta pain is much more widespread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic